• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Willow's subject choices

TriBel

Scooby
The initiative's work is secret so nobody outside the American government and its employees know about it, if Walsh is renowned for psych (though operant conditioning isn't a new discovery) then why is she working at UC Sunnydale instead of a more prestigious college? If she stays at UC Sunnydale because of the initiative then why is she so well known?
Where she's located doesn't make that much difference because her renown comes from publications in top journals and conference papers. Most academics move to more prestigious universities because they want to, not because they have to. I know internationally famous academics who work at less well known universities. It's also dependent on funding, the ability to attract research monies and teaching loads.

Psychology can be as "soft" or as "hard" as you want it to be. In most UK universities it's a BSc because of the need for BPS accreditation but, as far as I'm aware, it's possible to do a BA in Psychology or as part of Combined/Joint Honours degree. It depends on what career path you want to follow. I've yet to see a UCAS application form with "Witch" in the personal statement.

Sometimes I think academia is like a play pen for people who are a little too eccentric to be let out into the wider world.
Thanks mate! ;)

WillowFromBuffy
WillowFromBuffy
I have heard that you are even worse. I have heard that administration called your sons in for a meeting to tell them you have been scaring the other children in the faculty :p

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Well, yeah. Look, if Wil goes into computers, it doesn't really matter where you got a degree from, only that you can do the work. Second, if she's going into academia, nobody cares where you get your undergrad from. She can still go east coast for her doctorate, and that's all anyone will care about. But I agree, nothing about their course load made any sense.

Regarding Walsh. In my experience, an important professor can carve a sizable fiefdom at a smaller school. Take over the department, nay the whole school, become provost, take over the floor, then the building, hire your allies and proteges, take over a top secret government lab, you know, the usual.

My theory is, the lab was built for DRI research in the fourties, and was largely abandoned until Ascension Day, when the government could take free hand in the city again.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Sunnydale's not bad. And I can
design my own curriculum.
This quote makes me think she at least planned on doing computers.

When she's talking to the teacher in season 7, do we know what subject that was?

Ceadsearc03

Townie
It’s pretty common to have to take a certain number of classes from a variety of areas to meet general Ed requirements. That, and electives. I just assumed that was what was going on and she picked ones her friends were in to meet the requirements.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
It’s pretty common to have to take a certain number of classes from a variety of areas to meet general Ed requirements. That, and electives. I just assumed that was what was going on and she picked ones her friends were in to meet the requirements.
At the beginning of the Freshman, Willow says that Buffy can use Psych as her science requirement so I think you're right. It could also explain some of Willow's odd subject choices as she's trying to meet requirements whilst avoiding conflicts between subjects.

Ceadsearc03
Ceadsearc03
Quite possibly. I know as a college student I had some random classes I took just because I needed X number of electives and they fit my schedule.

Ceadsearc03

Townie
I just rewatched The Yoko Factor and Tara was talking to Willow about her electives and suggested sophomore psych, and Willow said she had had enough psych and suggested drama. So now I definitely feel like at least some of it was probably just her choosing to take whatever filler courses to meet her elective requirements.

S
Stephan
Nice catch! It does make sense.

TriBel

Scooby
I just rewatched The Yoko Factor and Tara was talking to Willow about her electives and suggested sophomore psych, and Willow said she had had enough psych and suggested drama. So now I definitely feel like at least some of it was probably just her choosing to take whatever filler courses to meet her elective requirements.
Hmmm...isn't that meant to be ironic? "Theatre is a cultural space where society examines itself in a mirror ... [and] the performance of theatre is a universal cultural phenomenon that exists in every society around the world. Human beings are the only animal species that creates theatre. Understanding theatre helps us understand what it means to be human". News: Theatre helps us to understand what it means to be human – Radford College
As I understand it, Psychology's a relatively new discipline that comes into being because of the cultural turn to science in the 18/19th century. Prior to that, "the human condition" was the subject matter of The Arts.

Ceadsearc03
Ceadsearc03
Maybe? Not sure what difference it makes - she may not have been considering drama seriously but she was clearly considering different subjects for electives.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I assumed as others above that Willow was taking elective courses. My friends who were chemistry and physics majors in college took all kinds of humanities courses, like art history, english lit courses etc. And this is typical of freshmen and sophomores especially (i.e. taking care of electives first before degree specific courses). I always assumed that was what Willow was doing too. I didn't think there was anything weird about it at all.

Top Bottom