1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Wishverse question

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by the buff, May 25, 2016.

1. the buff

the buff Townie

So I just rewatched The Wish and Doppelgangland and I have a question: If we later see Wishverse Willow come to the BTVS Reality, does that mean that there is still a dimension somewhere where vampires rule and terrorize Sunnydale? Also, how does she return just in time to get staked by Oz? The entire concept of dimensions in Buffy always confused me.
    Also what was the point of the necklace? When we see Anya do wishes later she never needs a necklace.

2. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    As far add Anya's necklace goes, I think the writers just forgot and kind of just created the Anyanka vengeance demon thing again.

I think Anya calls it a temporal fold and not another dimension. I'm not sure how it really works. Because... magic. They pulled vampire Willow right before she got staked, so it makes sense that they return her to that moment.

3. Scooby Corps

Scooby Corps Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!

I like the theory of infinite alternate realities. Anyanka didn't create the Wishverse, it already existed. She merely used her powers to transport Cordelia there. She was even considerate enough to choose one where the native Cordelia was dead (recently and undiscovered since Harmony & Co. weren't surprised) to avoid entropic cascade failure. Did I mention that I'm also a Stargate fan? :D

Well, I favor this theory because it seems odd to me that a vengeance demon is powerful enough to create a whole new world.

That with the tempory fold is new to me.

Sternbeeere: agreed
    Sternbeeere and ChaseRules like this.
  4. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    I like that idea . Sounds very nice . Just one Question . What happens then when Giles breaks the necklace then ?
    And speaking of Stargate do you think they could/should be in the same world ?

5. Scooby Corps

Giles summoned the prime Anyanka because he used her amulet (not WishverseAnya's amulet). When he destroyed it, it reverts the spell on Cordelia and its effects on her, including time rewind and memory wipe, but not what her presence for the Wishverse caused. The happenings in the Wishverse still happened, are real and final. Xander, Willow, Buffy dead.

Up to BtVS S07 one can twist it that the SGC and Scoobies existed parallel and fought their fights without recognizing each other. Both fight secretive wars after all. That the Initiative and Stargate Command don't know from each other is reasonable and called need to know classification.

6. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I do think that the Wishverse still exists out there somewhere. I always hoped for a visit to that place in later seasons. It seems that the darkness would have perfectly fit in season 6 or 7. Can you imagine touch commandeer season 7 Buffy meeting Wishverse Buffy and realizing what is happening to her? Or junkie season 6 Willow meeting Vamp Willow and also realizing what is happening to her? That would have been such good stuff!

Scooby Corps likes this.
  7. ChaseRules

Sineya
    Or maybe it different & Wishverse Buffy & Cordelia are alive along with Vamp Willow but Xander & the Master are dead .
    Sounds like a great idea . That could also be why the government never did anything about Sunnydale since the NID
    saw to it that they keep away.

8. Scooby Corps

No, it's the same Wishverse since it shows the same fight like in "The Wish" and Anya and Willow were linked to it because they searched for her amulet.

I think it's rather the Watcher's Council that is responsible that the governments of the world keep out of the supernatural fight officially. It's thousand of years old and could have made secret contracts with each regime of a country which allows them free and exclusive reign over the fight against the forces of darkness. They also ensured that the Slayer and the Potentials lie solely in their field of competence.

The NID as a civil intelligence service that is commissioned to oversee secret military projects could have had a hand in the Initiative, though. I know a good BtVS/Stargate crossover story which merges both worlds into one quite cleverly. If you want, I rec it to you per PM since the Fanfic rec thread doesn't allow crossovers. It's Willow centered.

Like Cordelia in "The Wish", Vamp!Willow was transported back to the same time and place from where she left. I don't have the answer about the necklace. Maybe each vengeance demon can choose the form of their source of power. When Anya changed the second time she might thought a necklace is too insecure, courtesy to her experience with Giles in "The Wish". Maybe she choose an implant this time. :D Seriously, I don't know. I rather believe they didn't think it through.

9. ChaseRules

Sineya
    Sorry . I was thinking of Vamp Willow & Wishverse Cordelia teaming up . My bad :D
    That a good answer & could you send it please .

Lastly I think my self that Anya boss was testing her out before he took her back in story.
    Out of story I think they dropped the ball on that one .