• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Wonder Woman 1984 skips the movie theaters

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Here's Gary talking about Wonder Woman skipping the movie theater and going direct to HBO Max on Christmas Day

• Wow
Reactions: Nix

Nix

🤪
Sineya
I wonder how long I have to wait for it :'(
Love a bit of Wonder Woman!

Priceless

Scooby
I saw a tweet by Gal Gadot that says the movie will be in cinemas same time as it's on HBO. (Haven't watched the vid, it might say same)

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I saw a tweet by Gal Gadot that says the movie will be in cinemas same time as it's on HBO.
There just aren't that many movies theaters that are opting to carry it when people can watch it for free online. The few theaters that are still operating are not wanting to pay the money to carry the movie expecting people to $15 to watch something they can watch for free at home and not have to worry about facemask police or paying for snacks.

Reactions: Nix

Priceless

Scooby
There just aren't that many movies theaters that are opting to carry it when people can watch it for free online. The few theaters that are still operating are not wanting to pay the money to carry the movie expecting people to $15 to watch something they can watch for free at home and not have to worry about facemask police or paying for snacks.
I didn't realise it was free. I might even watch it myself.

Spanky
Spanky
I don't think you foreign people get HBO max yet.

Priceless

Scooby
@Spanky I don't think you foreign people get HBO max yet.

Us foreigners will have to put our lives at risk and watch it in a Covid ridden cinema.

Spanky
Spanky
I didnt think ya'll were allowed to leave the house

Priceless

Scooby
@Spanky I didnt think ya'll were allowed to leave the house

Tell my bosses that. It's only till 2nd Dec and Wonder Woman opens late Dec

Spanky
Spanky
It'll be a lot worser come late December. Trust.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Here is the Drinker explaining why the movie will bomb (language warning)

He details how the studio came in and had aspects of the movie changed based upon their screening it, how it's been noted the main villain is directly inspired by Trump, with the budget and marketing costs coupled with the uncertainty on the cinemas available to screen it, it should be a failure.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Got access to HBO Max via VPN so will probably be able to watch this legally :)

Better late than never.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Googled and HBO & Warner are owned by same company. Guess they're trying to get more subscribers to compete with Amazon & Netflix.

Spanky
Spanky
You didn't know that?

Mr Trick

Scooby
A surprising move I just figured they would keep pushing it back until it could get a proper run in cinemas. It wouldn't surprise me if they put it into more cinemas later. Could be a big boost for HBO max as a service at least.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Theatres here in California are closed, so I'll have to watch it on HBO Max, which means I'll have to get HBO Max. lol. But I am really excited to see the movie, I loved the first movie and the first trailer to the sequel. But I didn't like the second trailer, I felt it showed too much.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Yeah, what they are saying is, they think this film will get more money from people forgetting to cancel HBO Max than from theatres. This is a year of damnation for Cinema.

white avenger

white avenger
I think that this going to be the trend for some time in the future, if not permanent. With so many of the big theater chains closing down, and now only reopening to limited attendance, we're going to see more and more what would be termed "blockbuster" movies either going to the premium channels exclusively, or at least having a simultaneous debut on Disney Plus, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, and the like, with most of the theater business being handled by the IMAX type surround screens.

It was really just a matter of time, really, even before the pandemic, with flat screen TV's getting bigger, better, and more affordable. Why bother to go to a crowded uncomfortable theater and pay premium prices to see something in the comfort of your home, where you can adjust the sound, light, and temperature of your environment, and even put the show on "Pause" if there are any interruptions? You'll even be able to download the movies onto your laptops, Ipads, Kindles, or whatever, and take them with you when you travel.

Progress is actually beginning to get progressive.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Anyone think that Black Widow will skip the movie theaters as well or they will just delay that until the pandemic is over ?

white avenger

white avenger
Anyone think that Black Widow will skip the movie theaters as well or they will just delay that until the pandemic is over ?
I think that they have already announced that it will go to Disney Plus with a "limited" theatrical release, pretty much the same thing as "Wonder Woman." Whether the next movie in the MCU's schedule, will then go back to the old plan just might depend on the effectiveness of the new vaccines, and whether the economy can recover in time.

For what it's worth, Snyder is hinting that he wants to do "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns," with Affleck, giving it the same treatment as his "Justice League" cut. Somewhere in there, there are plans for Michael Keaton to reprise his Batman role in "Flashpoint Paradox,"but I don't think that it will be technically in the same "Snyder-verse." Warner has said that all the DC characters, from both movies and TV are part of their DC multiverse, and might bring any of the old characters back in at any time, assuming that the trend for superheroes hangs around that much longer. Frankly, I see maybe another 5 to 10 years, tops, before some other genre replaces it. Superheroes are just the current equivalent of the old cowboys, secret agents, intergalactic warriors, and private detectives. Everything in its own good time...

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
The Launch of Marvel Stage 4 is a little more important to Disney Marvel than Wonder Woman is to WB at this point. But on the other hand, Disney needs money, and Black Widow was never going to set the world on fire anyways. Or at least, I'm hoping it wouldn't, It is still a Cold War Spy Genre, and not an extravaganza. I mean, it was never going to involve a Sky Beam, or a DBZ fight, if it ends, it's going to be with Tasha torturing the Super Apes as an attempt to get to the Red Ghost.

Top Bottom