• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Wood looking at Spike in the mirror in "First Date"

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
In the scene after Wood meets Spike for the first time, Wood looks at Spike in the rear view mirror while talking to him in the car, yet in the next scene remarks 'he's a vampire!' as if he didn't know. I understand that might have been to telegraph to the audience that Wood saw his vampire form, but it just comes across as confusing, considering Spike's non-reflection in the mirror and Robin's past (even if it's not known to the audience at this point).

Does this scene annoy you too? 😂

Tank1978

Scooby
It did strike me as being a bit strange. The only possible explanation is the angle of the mirror might not have shown that seat. They did sometimes struggle with the reflection and sunlight parts at times. Season 1 of Angel particularly struggled with the sunlight bit.
Also in Eternity how is Angel able to break in and rescue the actress from her intruder when not invited in?

On a different note has anyone else noticed you can see bits of the crew in the opening 2 episodes of Angel. In city of you can see some guys trainers and jeans by Russell winters gate near the end and in lonely heart you can see someone panning the camera around about halfway through!!!

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Could be that Wood is just a really awful vampire hunter?
He's there thinking 'Hey, that guy hasn't got a reflection? Is that like...a medical condition or some magic-y power he has? Hnm, have to think on...wait a minute! He went all vamp-face in that fight when he got hit! It just might be possible that he could possibly be a...vampire!' :p
It's why The First immediately came to see Robin and said 'uh, yeah he's a vampire. Also killed your Mom. I figure I should tell you rather than wait a decade while you figure it out.'
Sorry but any chance to rag on Wood.

But in reality its just that this particular period of S7's writing starts to suffer with stupid. It starts to forget things like what happened to the Initiative labs at the end of S4, that only one Turok-Han was released from the seal before it was closed, not to mention that Spike's trigger is completely forgotten about until LMPTM.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Yeah, it bugs me, but a lot less than other stuff in this season (including a lot more WTF moments that made me think this was a first draft written by someone who no longer cared about the show, just trying to fill in spots while shoehorning an outline of events and scenes given to them beforehand).

I tried to think of it as he was wondering why he couldn't see Spike, but figured the angle was somehow wrong (he didn't turn around to see that Spike was right there so didn't get the same angle we the viewers did). However, a vampire hunter like him WOULD follow up on that rather than shrugging it off, even if Spike knew Buffy. (If nothing else, Buffy might not know, he might've just been turned, etc.) Hell, his subconscious should be saying something since he at least glimpsed Spike as a child (and likely had dreams of him, at least for awhile).

Btvs fan

Scooby
Thats nothing I'm still trying to work out how Spike and Dru got into William's house after he was turned. As Prodigal showed Angelus needed an invite into Liam's place.

katmobile

Scooby
Thats nothing I'm still trying to work out how Spike and Dru got into William's house after he was turned. As Prodigal showed Angelus needed an invite into Liam's place.
Simple unseen man servant or as the man of the house he may well technically been an owner although the Prodigal contradicts that too with Kate's dad. I'll go with manservant.

white avenger

white avenger
In the scene after Wood meets Spike for the first time, Wood looks at Spike in the rear view mirror while talking to him in the car, yet in the next scene remarks 'he's a vampire!' as if he didn't know.
I just rewatched that episode, and Wood discovers that Spike is a vampire when he and Buffy are fighting the witch when they rescued Xander. When they (Buffy, Wood, and Spike) were in the car together, it was Buffy driving, so Wood wouldn't have been able to see Spike through the rear view mirror. As far as he knew at that time, Spike was just another of Buffy's human troops.

S
Stephan
I recently watched the episode and I'm fairly certain that Wood is driving.

TriBel

Scooby
As I recall, they make a point of showing Wood glancing in the mirror so it's highly unlikely they "forgot".
a) Wood's named after a Hitchcock scholar and from the beginning he's been been a source of the sort of ambiguity/suspense associated with Hitchcock. At the beginning of this episode Buffy says "he might be evil". Noticing but not mentioning Spike's lack of reflection functions to emphasis his ambiguity. It's meant to be a tense scene because each character has only partial knowledge.
Alternatively
b) Wood notices it but can't actually believe what he sees. Why would he? Buffy's a slayer - his mum was killed by a vampire. Why would he anticipate Buffy being involved with a vampire? That's why he poses questions about their relationship. He's after confirmation. Seeing and not believing finds into one of the major themes of the season - vision, sight and everything ocular.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
It's possible Wood just glanced at the mirror without seeing what was or wasn't there, after all he should be keeping his eyes on the road ahead not staring at what or who's behind him.

white avenger

white avenger
I think you may be remembering it wrong
Okay, I went back and watched that part of the episode again on the Daily Motion site, and the scene where they are driving to rescue Xander is reversed. Wood is driving, but he is on the right side of the car. My mistake. (I would post the site where I saw it, but that would probably be illegal)

However, Wood saying "Vampire" isn't until Buffy and Spike fight the witch, at approximately Minute 39. The witch is trying to choke Spike, and he shifts into game face. Wood might have been suspicious up until that moment, assuming that he could see where Spike was sitting through his rear view mirror, but if he was, it must not have registered completely at the time.

B
Btvs fan
Why do you need an illegal site, you can watch them on Facebook or Amazon prime for free

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Hmn, maybe Wood wasn't looking at Spike, maybe he was trying to figure out if they were being followed. Y'know, by a car full of Bringers.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I'm making that headcanon, though I know we put far more thought into season 7 than the writers ever did.

vampmogs

Townie
Or how the Ubervamp was able to torture Spike by drowning when he, ya know, doesn't need to breathe.... :rolleyes:

It's clearly just a goof of the episode and given how many plot holes there are throughout "First Date" it's not all that surprising. They were really off their game with this episode in particular. If we must fanwank it, I guess the easiest explanation would be that Wood assumed that Spike was sitting out of his eye-line. It doesn't really fit with how the scene is acted (Wood glances at him whenever they're talking) but it'll have to do *shrugs*

Top Bottom