• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Spoiler! Worst ending to a tv show?

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I was thinking about this as I was reading an article about the best way to end a tv show. What's the worst one you've seen?

Lost has an awful and predictable end, but then I'd been prepared since the rest of the show was so awful.

The last scenes of Dexter are so bad and such an f you to fans that it puts me off rewatching the series. A travesty in every decision that was made in the writing of that episode. You know what I mean if you've seen it. I don't know of anyone who approves of that ending.

Post away, spoilers be damned. I'll probably never watch it anyway.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
only really liked the 1st season of Lost 😕
RachM
RachM
I loved the LOST finale, I thought it was a perfect end to the show. But, I loved the rest of the show too. Why did you keep watching if you disliked it so much? (Just curious, I usually abandon shows I find to be awful).
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I liked the Lost ending except the way they tied everything up too neatly and in such a way to undermine much of what came before. Am more with you on Dexter's finale.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
It takes a lot for me to think something ended badly (not counting those damn cliffhanger endings because they didn't know they were going to be canceled) but there is one thing I have a hard time forgiving and that's forcing an ending, making it OOC.

My (least) favorite example of this is How I Met Your Mother. The creators had planned the ending from the beginning, so they stuck to it, forgetting completely that their characters had grown too far away from that same ending to be believable whatsoever. Makes me angry just thinking about it :(

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
don't really have problem with ending as much as the execution of the last 2 seasons

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
It takes a lot for me to think something ended badly
How about 6 seasons of a show, with characters appearing in crossover episodes of numerous other shows, and in the closing seconds of the finale finding out that none of it has been real?

Puppet
Puppet
Ouch. Yeah, that one would hurt.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
My (least) favorite example of this is How I Met Your Mother. The creators had planned the ending from the beginning, so they stuck to it, forgetting completely that their characters had grown too far away from that same ending to be believable whatsoever. Makes me angry just thinking about it :(
Same. Could rant about this end forever.

This thread is making me curious about the end of Dexter however, I stopped watching around season 2-3 or something, so I’m gonna go Google this.

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
The whole final season was bad, but the finale was wretched. Very sad for a show that had been consistently funny for so long.
My problem with the finale is slightly different; see I love the final season, it's my absolute favorite out of all 9. So for it to have such a horribly bad ending somehow makes it...not worse, I wouldn't presume to think that, but just different.

Taake
Taake
You loved that season? What's wrong with you? :P

CharlieGunn1

Ready for battle...
Battlestar Galatica (new series)... so much potential squandered.

Spoliers Below warning!!!!

Again spoiler alert!

Instead of explaining starbucks survival, or revealing an advanced earth civilization, or introducing us to aliens or answering any questions about the Cylon plan or god...or immortal head six and head baltar. They go for a baffling incomprhensible non-answer.

Worst finale ever, and such a dissapoinment. It hurts worse because it was up until the finale one of the best scifi shows ever.

Lost on the other hand was generally getting worse towards its finale season, and it was very clear they had no answers for anything quite early on.

Runner up?
Smallville... 11 or so seasons and still no superman costume? Fail.

RachM
RachM
Ten seasons for Smallville and you do see the costume in the final shot ... which makes sense, given that the show was about Clark pre-Superman, so they couldn't really show him as Superman until the very end.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Wow, everyone hating on LOST :confused: The LOST finale is one of my personal fave series finales :p

I agree with @Puppet re How I Met Your Mother. Truly horrendous end to the show.

I found the Charmed finale too saccharine but it wasn't a bad finale per se. Just a little too cheesy.

spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
You have a sweet banner!
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Like how Charlie ends up back with Claire and you had Sun and Jin. I get that Jin had been brought back a bit before then. But I do think it cheapened their deaths.
Offhand, Sabrina the Teenage Witch...It wasn't a favorite show, but I liked some of the early seasons to veg to (preferred the books, though). I couldn't sit through later seasons (and can barely remember them) but I couldn't resist seeing the final episode...and it's not so much the silly (but ever popular in romcoms) she leaves the groom for another at the end, but how the groom and his family was smiling and waving...I thought about all the emotional investment that everyone would've poured into that (at least the characters if not the viewers) as well as the not insignificant sum of money for Sabrina to only peace out like that...just damn, that was...IDK, ug.

I've heard of others that were terrible, but I gave up on them before it got to the end. It's too bad I didn't do the same with Sabrina.

How I Met Your Mother takes the cake on the worst series finale in TV history- I mean what were the writers thinking??

That 70's Show- (LOTS OF SPOILERS AHEAD)
I mean the entire last season was horrible. Eric & Kelso aren't even there. Donna & Eric sorta reconcile. The writers just throw Jackie & Fez together which made no logical sense. I mean I understand if they didn't want a Jackie/Hyde ending, but damn she could have just ended up alone.

Pretty Little Liars (AGAIN LOTS OF SPOILERS AHEAD)
Really? So Spencer's crazy twin is A? Really Marlene King?
What a cop out. A should have been one of the liars, Aly, or Mona- It would have made more sense and had such a great payoff, but MK had to make sure all the ships except one got a happy ending.

The Vampire Diaries (AGAIN LOTS OF SPOILERS AHEAD)
Just Yuck! You bring back a badass, awesome villain just to make her look some sort of bitter psycho ex & then kill her off. Oh and you also kill off Stephan while he spouts loads of garbage about Damon (his evil brother) being the better man.
But, no worries at least everyone's toxic ship was endgame. Just Yuck

I'm sure there is more... These are just the ones off the top of my head.

Taake
Taake
Agree on That 70's Show
spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
Jackie & Hyde deserved each other!!!! I don't understand how the writers can break up a couple that was there for at least 3 seasons before the end of the show. You're right Fez & Jackie getting together suddenly in S8 don't make sense.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
@RachM I had previously watched the first half of the first season and hated it lol, but a friend, whose opinion I respect, loved the show and wanted me to watch the whole thing. By the time I got near the end I was almost enjoying it, but in a bad way, where I was laughing at the bad. I've forgot most of it, and generally thought it was pointless. It seemed to be a show built around marketing and I hated it all. My first impression was correct. 😂

I understand why others enjoy it though.

Wow, everyone hating on LOST :confused: The LOST finale is one of my personal fave series finales :p

I agree with @Puppet re How I Met Your Mother. Truly horrendous end to the show.

I found the Charmed finale too saccharine but it wasn't a bad finale per se. Just a little too cheesy.
I really like LOST too! The finale was perfectly fine IMO. My only problem with it was the very end. Basically I didn't like them un-doing certain character's death. The reason their deaths meant so much is because they upped the stakes. And you need stakes in this sort of show.

RachM
RachM
Who's deaths are you referring to? I don't remember the finale undoing any deaths?
Top Bottom