• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Question Would Buffy have had an affair with Spike if she hadn't died, not been through resurrection & depression/trauma?

Extraflamey737

"I am,you know..." " What?" "Yours."
I would think , no, even though there was always a vibe between them from the get go. But she would have never acted on it.

Any of you disagree? Curious....

EDIT
They bonded at the stairs outside in S 5 though when joyce returned from the hospital though and she opened up

Last edited:

AstridDante

Potential
I agree there was always chemistry and UST hidden under antagonism and being mortal enemies, then frenemies, then somewhat friends. I think she gave herself ‘permission’ to act on her desires as not only was she depressed and lost, Spike just told her she was less than human! Also she wanted to feel passion and alive again and he was the only thing that could make her feel that. If she hadn’t been what she had been through I don’t think she would have given herself the permission albeit the latent desire would continue under the surface so I am not sure if something else might have instigated the affair

Miss Muffet

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
No. There may have been chemistry, but the only reason she ever slept with Spike was because she was depressed and wanted to feel something. If something other than her resurrection caused her to feel that way, then maybe, but she had to be depressed in order for that storyline to happen.

AstridDante

Potential
I don’t fully agree that she had to only be depressed for it to happen but something major would have to happen for her to allow herself the permission

Miss Muffet

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
I don’t fully agree that she had to only be depressed for it to happen but something major would have to happen for her to allow herself the permission
Like what? (btw, I don't mean this rudely)

Dora

Scooby
No otherwise why stop it ? why not tell her friends ? she used Spike for self harming , she told Spike its killing me and she could not understand why she kept letting him in why she let him do those things to her

Crossbow

Potential
Probably. She would still be struggling with the loss of her Mom, financial struggles and being a “Mom” to Dawn.
If Buffy hadn’t died it would have been because Spike saved Dawn in time. She was counting on him.

AstridDante
AstridDante
I think they would have grown closer under those circumstances also

AstridDante

Potential
Like what? (btw, I don't mean this rudely)
I think she gave herself permission because she thought she was sub-human but the attraction was already there between them nothing to do with being depressed. It’s always been simmering. I could see it bubbling up, like them getting really angry and just giving into passion or towards end of season 5 they were getting closer as comrades or frenemies, I could easily see something happen. My point is the attraction was there on both sides and it wasn’t just hate sex or depression and I didn’t take your comment rudely. It is hard to pinpoint an exact set of circumstances

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
You have to give the people what they want. Well, unless you are making Next Gen, and then you give them Troi and Worf for some reason. So, it was probably going to happen at some point in season six, and making it a by product of Buffy's isolation works just as well.

Stake fodder

Soulless
I am doing my first re-watch, and watched "Crush" last night. Now that I know they get together in S6, I was struck by the absolute lack of chemistry on Buffy's side in that episode (and the whole season, IMO). She wasn't just "protesting too much," she felt genuine disgust and horror that Spike had a crush on her. It was completely believable, even knowing what I know now. So, if not for Buffy's depression, the way the characters were in S5, I don't think Buffy would ever have accepted Spike.

Having said that, the writers wanted to get them together. So I think if they hadn't written the depression, they might just have had Spike keep trying to better himself and win her over, or get his soul earlier. Some drastic change would have been introduced to make it happen.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
I am doing my first re-watch, and watched "Crush" last night. Now that I know they get together in S6, I was struck by the absolute lack of chemistry on Buffy's side in that episode (and the whole season, IMO). She wasn't just "protesting too much," she felt genuine disgust and horror that Spike had a crush on her. It was completely believable, even knowing what I know now. So, if not for Buffy's depression, the way the characters were in S5, I don't think Buffy would ever have accepted Spike.

Having said that, the writers wanted to get them together. So I think if they hadn't written the depression, they might just have had Spike keep trying to better himself and win her over, or get his soul earlier. Some drastic change would have been introduced to make it happen.
Yes and no. Crush follows two episodes in which you can see the two of them developing a connection and having "a moment", but having Spike's feelings exposed in that manner (and having mucking it further up by being wildly inappropriate and morally clueless) throws everything into relief and it's totally understandable that Buffy freaks out and reacts the ways she does. However Crush is not the only episode of the season; as I said, the previous episode showed a tentative "something" developing between them, and when Spike does prove that his feelings are genuine and that he has the potential to do better, Buffy reacts with a romantic gesture : she kisses him, which she had never done with someone she wasn't romantically interested in, and starts trusting him and including him in her life. And that's all before S6.
So the attraction was there prior to her depression; she just gave herself the permission (as @AstridDante said) to act on it because she was too desperate to care about the standards that she had set for herself. With that in mind, there are other scenarii in which it could have happened, though under different circumstances the outcome probably would've been different as well.

NothingVentured

Potential
Yes and no. Crush follows two episodes in which you can see the two of them developing a connection and having "a moment", but having Spike's feelings exposed in that manner (and having mucking it further up by being wildly inappropriate and morally clueless) throws everything into relief and it's totally understandable that Buffy freaks out and reacts the ways she does. However Crush is not the only episode of the season; as I said, the previous episode showed a tentative "something" developing between them, and when Spike does prove that his feelings are genuine and that he has the potential to do better, Buffy reacts with a romantic gesture : she kisses him, which she had never done with someone she wasn't romantically interested in, and starts trusting him and including him in her life. And that's all before S6.
So the attraction was there prior to her depression; she just gave herself the permission (as @AstridDante said) to act on it because she was too desperate to care about the standards that she had set for herself. With that in mind, there are other scenarii in which it could have happened, though under different circumstances the outcome probably would've been different as well.

Gotta disagree with that. The scene doesn't play out that way. It seemed less romance, more gratitude.

WillowsFaith

Potential
No, Buffy and spike never should have even been in a relationship. After Riley, the writers probably needed someone more interesting and Spike had a lot of popularity. Before the Spuffy fans attack me tho, just want it to be clear that even Buffy didn’t like Spike for the majority of the series. I mean she had use for him, that’s why the scoobies didn’t kill him during the multiple times they could have in season 4 or 5. But there really wasn’t any love until it was forced on the audience by mid season 5

Stake fodder

Soulless
Crush follows two episodes in which you can see the two of them developing a connection and having "a moment"
What scene would be "the moment"? I'm genuinely asking, because I didn't catch anything like that. Though it may just be that I didn't interpret it the same way. What I mostly see in S5 is Buffy continuing to call on Spike for help (which is odd, really), while professing dislike, but Spike ignores the latter and reads into the former.

when Spike does prove that his feelings are genuine and that he has the potential to do better, Buffy reacts with a romantic gesture : she kisses him, which she had never done with someone she wasn't romantically interested in, and starts trusting him and including him in her life.
I do agree with this: the "Intervention" kiss was romantic. Of course, that was a couple episodes later than "Crush." I think Buffy wanted to reward him for his suffering, but it's the wrong thing to do if she doesn't want to encourage his hopes.

Crossbow

Potential
“the moment” in the episode “Checkpoint”
To me, when Buffy takes Dawn and her Mom to Spike and says “You’re the only one strong enough to protect them”.
The look of complete trust she gives Spike. She trusts him with her loved ones - wow.

Top Bottom