• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Would Buffy have seen through Jasmine?

Tank1978

Scooby
This was raised in a reaction video I saw but I thought it was an interesting idea. The whole of LA had fallen under jasmine's influence and it seemed the only way to break that was to either mix your blood with hers or get her keeper to say her name. All were under her influence but if Buffy had have been in LA at the time would she have seen through it after a while?

Reasons why she might have done is that she started to see through Jonathans spell in superstar when nobody else could and was also "wiggy" about dawn very early on when again nobody else thought anything was odd. It seems her spider sense also allows her to feel that things aren't as they should be so would she have worked out Jasmine too? Maybe she would have teamed up with Fred which would have stopped poor Fred feeling so alone.

Anyway it was an interesting question so thought I would throw it out to everyone on here.

I don't know ... she does have a tendency to believe that spells are not affecting her due to some 'natural immunity because I'm the slayer' 😂 and they do tend to be the love spells, and Jasmine's spell is sort of a love spell.

She certainly wouldn't have been immune. Maybe - if she saw enough people freak out about Jasmine's face she might start asking questions and figure it out. And she might ask questions about people disappearing. If she worked out Jasmine ate people that might trigger something in her brain, Jasmine does keep that a secret from everybody but Connor so it seems likely that even she realises that eating people is crossing a line some of her followers wouldn't be able to ignore.

I think she might have been able to figure things out whilst under the spell provided she stumbled across the right information (people freaking out, their faces rotting, people disappearing) and without breaking it on herself, like with Jonathan's spell, and - as with Dawn and the train tracks - her slayer instinct might kick in in moments of danger, but like with RJ's jacket and Jonathan's spell - she would still be under the spell and would require the actual cure to break free from it completely.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Buffy would probably not notice anything but Jasmine would notice her and make a project out of it. One who would see through Jasmine would be Tara, who could see the Faith/Buffy spirit transposition. I know a person who died a couple of years ago who could see auras (and was appalled at both Bill Clinton and Donald Trump).

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
The Slayer's mental resistance is intended to fight off the thalls of vampires. So, no, she would have been affected, just like everyone else. She got Angel, after all, and Vampires are supposed to be resistant to mind control. I think the real problem would be Jasmine's power level, which would negate Buffy's resistance. Now, of course, Cordelia is Buffy's Shadowself, so they may share the same blood, which is a metaphor...

thrasherpix

Scooby
Yes, because Buffy's jealousy that Angel worshiped Jasmine instead of her would override Buffy's love for Jasmine, thus breaking the spell.

Ok, just kidding, couldn't resist. Wouldn't surprise me if it was in the writing somehow, but no, she shouldn't have been able to, especially when weaker love spells by the inexperienced had such an affect on her (and if she can't resist those, then no way do I see her resisting the power of Jasmine).

But I also consider Tara a possible one to see through it automatically.

Priceless

Scooby
Buffy's subconscious through her Slayer dreams, might alert her to something being wrong with Jasmine, or with everyone else. Consciously she'd have fallen for Jasmine just as everyone else did.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
In "Something Blue", we get this exchange:

Buffy: She did a spell.
Giles: Yes.. to have her will done. Whatever she says is coming true.
Buffy: And you both were affected. I probably only escaped because I'm the Slayer. Some kind of natural immunity.

And as we saw, she had no immunity - in fact, one popular theory is that the spell never got fully reversed; Giles metaphorically doesn't see and starts losing influence here. Xander remains a demon magnet, ending up in the comics with Dawn. And Buffy and Spike become a couple for the first but definitely not the last time. Buffy might believe she could see Jasmine for what she was but I would not bet on it. I think devotion to Jasmine would simplify her life and become something she would want to do rather than face demons all the time. If Jasmine had recognized her as the slayer and welcomed her and encouraged her to slay demons for her, Buffy would have done so and served her without hesitation.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Buffy doesn't show that much immunity to demonic influence, and if we're talking about a Higher Being then I guess Buffy is going to end up 'Jasmine's very own Chosen one' or something.

Buffy is better at figuring out when something is missing with her memory or reality in general (like Dawn or Jonathan's super-spell) but, as has already been stated Jasmine's power is almost like a love-bomb which overwhelms everything else.
And so I think if Buffy can fall foul of the magic jacket from 'Him' then she wouldn't stand a chance against Jasmine.

garfan

Townie
I think her death and resurrection might have also had some protective affect. Like she's felt that euphoric contentment and total peace and Jasmine's isn't it
Post automatically merged:

thrasherpix

Scooby
I think her death and resurrection might have also had some protective affect. Like she's felt that euphoric contentment and total peace and Jasmine's isn't it
Post automatically merged:
Gods, as I realized this was an assumption that wouldn't necessarily be true, I had a horrific thought: so many souls thinking all is well when in actuality, they're slowly being digested! (Jasmine would need to do more faster because of her mortal form, though if including all the souls from other planets and dimensions, then they'd have a bunch to feast upon.)

This notion is going to bother me awhile. The ultimate horror.

From what I've seen of The Powers That Be, they are not benevolent beings. In some cases they're actually LESS helpful, humble, and honest than the demons (even evil demons).

Top Bottom