1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Would it have been better if the Scoobies had found out Buffy's secret later?

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Mr Trick, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

As we all know by the end of the pilot episodes both Xander and Willow know that Buffy is the Slayer and what that involves.

For me it works quite well that way. But does anyone think that it might have been a bit more supenseful if the writers had drawn this out a bit more, and made it a thing where Buffy would have to try and keep covering her tracks? etc...

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  2. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    She still had to keep the secret from her Mom & the rest of the school etc.
    I think there were too many other shows where the lead had a secret identity & had to save the would without anyone finding out it was them.....
    I thought it made a refreshing change myself :)

Plus getting Willow & Xander involved in fighting the bad guys gave them relevance as lead characters from the very start rather than just the friends she had to jump through hoops to keep her double life a secret from....

Mr Trick: Agreed!
  3. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Agreed. Considering how accepting Willow and Xander were of Buffy being the slayer, if she'd held off telling them, it would've just been like "Why didn't she tell them sooner when they would've been totally ok with it?"

4. The Bronze

The Bronze GraceZ

Black Thorn
    I really loved the character and relationship building in Season 1 so no need to change it for me. It could have been done though and probably been OK.

5. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    I think it works well having Xander and Willow know. It's what makes Buffy different from other slayers. I can see a story where Buffy has to hide it from them, but I just prefer it the way it is. I think if Buffy hid her slayer identity until the end of season 1 it probably would have made season 1 worse. I love having Xander and Willow involved because it can give them their own stories as well. It also brings them closer as friends. And I think that Willow and Xander would be upset that Buffy never told them. It would be interesting to see how it would have played out if they found out later, but I like it the way it is.

6. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

Wasn't the whole point of what makes Buffy different from other slayers is that she has friends and family that know she is the slayer, therefore she is not alone?

Hunga Munga and thetopher like this.
  7. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Yeah, Buffy never wanted the slayer burden and she didn't want to follow the 'slaying in secret' Watcher byline, so she broke it. That habit has saved her life more than once.
    Anyway, by the end of the pilot you want the whole cast all on the same page (apart from Cordelia, but even she figured it out by EP11) so they can gel and work together. They only really had 12 episodes anyway.

8. Zenseem

Zenseem Evil, skanky and kinda gay

Black Thorn
    Buffy never kept the whole slayer thing in secret, maybe just to her mother. People knew about her, maybe they didn't know she was the slayer, but they knew she had some sort of superpower or something like that.

If she didn't tell her friends about it maybe they would've thought that she didn't trust them enough and it would not be the best option, because they would find out sooner or later.

Mr Trick likes this.
  9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Sure, it was but I just meant for like a half of the first season, wasn't talking about full-time. Anyway I agree with you guys, but was just posing a question:)

Some good points. Don't forget though that it wasn't by choice that Willow and Xander found out in Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest.

The tension of people knowing around Sunnydale (or how much they actually do know) is one of the nice subtle things about Buffy. In most other shows it would either be completely out in the open or not known at all. It plays into the dark secrets lurking beneath the pretty facade aspect of the show.

BuffyBot22 and Zenseem like this.
  10. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I always found this an amusing aspect to the Buffyverse, the collective blindness to what was going on around them by the general public. The willingness to
    accept bizarre & totally irrational explanations for the weird goings on rather than to face up to the truth (gas leak or Gangs on PCP's).
    Its a bit like DEATH in the Terry Pratchett books...people refuse to see what their minds can't rationalise....

But as proved by the 'Class protector' award deep down, the kids at least, had some idea that SunnyD was not like other towns......

11. nemilyxo

nemilyxo Townie

Sineya
    Season one is my favourite season.
    I love the whole build up of relationships from them finding out Buffy is the slayer.
    The way Xander still falls in love with her even though she has this crazy other life, the fact it gives Willow and Xander their own little group to fit in.

12. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Just to be a git season 1 is my least favourite:p

Some of the things you mentioned there are some of the best things about the season. It does cover the painful realities of High School life very well.

What are your favourite season one episodes?

13. nemilyxo

nemilyxo Townie

Sineya
    I know a lot of people aren't massive fans but when I rewatch episodes they always from season 1 and 2. I love witch and prophecy girl. How about you? :)

14. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I'd say Prophecy Girl and the Puppet Show are my favourites from the first season. Angel is good too. The Pack is quite underrated. 3 is my faovurite season, but 2 probably has my favourite arc of the whole series, and likely the best finale.

15. nemilyxo

nemilyxo Townie

Sineya
    The Pack is really underrated but such a good episode. I love all of series one actually :)
    Season 3 is not one i usually pick when i wanna just binge watch a series of Buffy but going to put this one on tonight!

16. spnandbuffyfan

spnandbuffyfan Townie

I think it would have been weird if the scbooies didn't know about buffy till the end season

17. matt124

matt124 Potential

I don't know, I think it would be odd to do it this way. So had they kept the secret going, it don't think it would last too long and Willow and Xander would of found out by episode 5 or 6 anyway. Again with only 12 episodes in season 1 and not a full season, It could only work in 22 episodes. But with 12, better to just get it all out in the open as soon as possible.

Now had Buffy only just became the slayer in the first episode, well then it might have played out with her keeping it a secret. Since she was new to her slaying duties.

I am glad it happened the way it did on the show. I wouldn't like this change.