• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Would Luke from the pilot made a good recurring villian if he survived?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I dunno. Luke was a nice 'mini-boss' to challenge Buffy in her first Sunnydale apocalypse. He was all brawn and religious fervor without much in the way of brains. Basically The Master's right arm/muscle.
Also I think Buffy outsmarting him instead of out-fighting him showed how special she was as a slayer so early one.

But I do think they missed a trick in not showing Luke in some of the flashbacks later. Like having him in AtS 2 'Darla' standing my The Master's side just so Angelus can make fun of him. Might've added a bit of verisimilitude to the vampire lore.

Or they could've had him appear in 'The Wish' alongside VampWillow and VampXander because Buffy never killed him. Although I presume either Angel killed him before being captured and made a 'puppy' or VampWillow got ambitious and killed him (and possibly Darla) and took his place as one of The Master's favorites.

telperion66

Potential
Lol, great question and thread.

Luke was an absolutely single minded, alpha-vamp serial killer. He hadn't even been beaten in a fight for over a hundred years when he was caught sleeping in Madrid.

Didn't the same actor come back and play "the Judge" in season two, or am I imagining things...??

But I do think they missed a trick in not showing Luke in some of the flashbacks later. Like having him in AtS 2 'Darla' standing my The Master's side just so Angelus can make fun of him. Might've added a bit of verisimilitude to the vampire lore.
I definitely agree with this. It would have been awesome to have seen Luke at the Master's side in their historic days together, maybe in some of Tim Minear's episodes with the flashbacks on AtS. He was a real powerhouse but it would have been funny to see Angelus poke fun at him too 😄

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
No, he wouldn't. As much as I like him in many of the roles he has been in, he's really not the type of actor I would want for a recurring role on a show like Buffy.

Tank1978

Scooby

Luke was an absolutely single minded, alpha-vamp serial killer. He hadn't even been beaten in a fight for over a hundred years when he was caught sleeping in Madrid.

Didn't the same actor come back and play "the Judge" in season two, or am I imagining things...??
Yes he did play the judge in s2

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Season 1 Villains fulfill the role of being stock heels, but do not overshadow Buffy in anyway. Luke fulfilled that role well. I suppose if Season 1 were longer, sure. Let the Master have a true court, but for what they were, stock characters that were basically from the first movie, they served their purpose. I would encourage the Rebooters to consider Vampire Politics, it was one of the better aspects of the Blade properties, and keeps the show focused on Vampires, as opposed to Biker Demons, or Magic Drug Dealers, or Demon Shark Loan Sharks.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I never thought about keeping Luke on longer, because he is the big bad in the first two eps, and Buffy beating him shows why we should be following her as a hero. Luke was not the brightest vampire, so it makes sense that Buffy could outsmart him, making her stand out from other Slayers that usually defeat vamps hand to hand combat. Luke served his purpose but I don't know about continuing on with him. I wish they would have done more with Darla in season 1!
Also I think Buffy outsmarting him instead of out-fighting him showed how special she was as a slayer so early one.
Like having him in AtS 2 'Darla' standing my The Master's side just so Angelus can make fun of him. Might've added a bit of verisimilitude to the vampire lore.
That would have been great if they had brought him back in either episodes Darla or The Wish.

white avenger

white avenger
As he was written in the story (basically just dumb, single minded muscle) no. However, the MCU's "Infinity War/Endgame" saga makes me wonder. What if a brute like Luke were somehow to have come into possession of the Gem of Amara AND managed to gain intelligence to equal his strength. That would make for a virtually unstoppable killing machine, potentially a recurring villain to run throughout the entire series, only to finally be defeated in the Series Finale.

Now, that would be a Big Bad worthy of the name.

vampmogs

Potential
In concept? Maybe. But the actor who played him, IMO, was horrendously bad. I thought he was cringeworthy throughout "Welcome to the Hellmouth" and "The Harvest" and I can't imagine wanting him to stick around any longer than that. To be fair, his dialogue was really corny but it was also his delivery.

If there were any vampire that I would have preferred to stick around longer in Season 1 it would've been Darla. Although a Luke + Darla combination may have been interesting as well.

telperion66

Potential
I wish they would have done more with Darla in season 1!
This. Although, thankfully we get to explore Darla more on AtS after Wolfram & Hart bring her back in the box at the end of season 1.

I guess because season 1 of Buffy is only 12 episodes they had to cram their storytelling into a fewer number of episodes. It could have been done better though with Darla and Angel more involved in my opinion.

I think I'm right in saying Angel vanishes for a few episodes until his brief appearance where he tells Giles he can get him the Codex.

littlemisscooby

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo.

I definitely agree with this. It would have been awesome to have seen Luke at the Master's side in their historic days together, maybe in some of Tim Minear's episodes with the flashbacks on AtS. He was a real powerhouse but it would have been funny to see Angelus poke fun at him too 😄
The character coming back as another character thing came up a couple of times in the Buffyverse. Zachary Kralik from S3 (in ‘Helpless’) also appeared in season 6 as ‘Rack’, Willow’s magic ‘dealer’. I wonder why they did this. Interesting.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
This is the first instance where we see how Buffy handles a vampire. At this point (although the movie was a spoiler), we don't know what a slayer is or how she works. Is she going to be like Wonder Woman? Batgirl? Supergirl? Does she have super powers of some supernatural origin?

Luke was in the story for one reason: to show that the brute force and ignorance is no match for a slayer who can think. And the slayer had to use a combination of brains and brawn and of course, had to have the courage to join the fight where she did not usually have a strength advantage and in this case, Luke was stronger. He even says so - and demonstrates it. Luke was there to show how a slayer sizes up the opposition, plans an attack and executes her plan. In this case, being the first time we see her in action, we have to see her vanquish her opponent using intelligence as well as strength. Having Luke survive the battle with the slayer would negate this. There are plenty of opportunities for an antagonist to show up with a better set of skills because if all slayer kills were the same, the show would get very tedious very quickly. He could not become a recurring character - those would come along later - and he had to be killed.

Stake fodder

Soulless
In concept? Maybe. But the actor who played him, IMO, was horrendously bad. I thought he was cringeworthy throughout "Welcome to the Hellmouth" and "The Harvest" and I can't imagine wanting him to stick around any longer than that. To be fair, his dialogue was really corny but it was also his delivery.
This. I don't know if it was the acting, or the writing or directing, but I thought Luke was overly portentous and one-note evil. He would have to be much more complex to last.

It would have been good to have him in flashbacks for continuity, but it can become ridiculous in a show when the villain keeps escaping, after the hero beats them time and again. I found this somewhat the case with Spike in S2-S4, until the chip gave Buffy a permanent reason to stop trying.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Stop touching my magic bone!
Black Thorn
The character coming back as another character thing came up a couple of times in the Buffyverse. Zachary Kralik from S3 (in ‘Helpless’) also appeared in season 6 as ‘Rack’, Willow’s magic ‘dealer’. I wonder why they did this. Interesting.
That's Jeff Kober, and whatever character he plays is terrifying. He doesn't even have to speak.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Agreed.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Yeah Jeff Kober was creepy in the X-Files and wasn't even a villain :D Brian Thompson who played Luke did return as the Judge and was in X-Files too.

Top Bottom