• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Would Warren have used the cerebral dampener on Katrina if she had been nicer with him and had given him a pep talk?

afanofbuffy

Townie
In no way I'm blaming Katrina who is innocent but assuming she had nicely rejected Warren and had given him a pep talk that he is extraordinary and that he deserved better than her, would he still have used his cerebral dampener on her?

thrasherpix

Scooby
I think so.

He wanted her. So if Katrina talked to him he'd try to convince her to stay. If she was nice he'd treat her like a doormat. And if he couldn't manipulate her the old fashion way then he'd use the techno-magical device.

Besides, I don't think Warren deserved nicer rejection after what he did in season 5.

Faded90

Scooby
If Warren was told he was extraordinary and deserved better than Katrina it would mean he wasn’t Warren. Because Katrina wasn’t enough of a doormat to do that and Warren was never respectful enough to her to her for her to ever say that to him anyway

Warren wanted her regardless of what she wanted. How she rejected him is irrelevant

Stake fodder

Soulless
I also doubt the manner of Katrina's reply would have made a difference. Warren would read into anything she said as a rejection of him, a reason to get angry, no matter how politely she put it. It's similar to how the Trio saw Buffy as their enemy when she didn't even know they existed - feeling persecuted is better than feeling insignificant.

Faded90

Scooby
A
I also doubt the manner of Katrina's reply would have made a difference. Warren would read into anything she said as a rejection of him, a reason to get angry, no matter how politely she put it. It's similar to how the Trio saw Buffy as their enemy when she didn't even know they existed - feeling persecuted is better than feeling insignificant.
Agreed. Warren’s ego was always his downfall. S6 shows at multiple points that if the trio had just carried on doing their thing to get money etc Buffy and the scoobies would have either largely ignored it or lost interest as it barely even registered on their supernatural radar, but Warren was just too obsessed with being her ‘arch nemesis’. Warren has a narcissistic obsession with feeling important and superior (which he never is) he wouldn’t accept any kind of rejection from Katrina

afanofbuffy

Townie
Why didn't he deserve a nicer rejection? Katrina was in her own right to be furious but all characters in Buffy have made mistakes including Tara but she hasn't been ostracized.
Post automatically merged:

If Warren was told he was extraordinary and deserved better than Katrina it would mean he wasn’t Warren. Because Katrina wasn’t enough of a doormat to do that and Warren was never respectful enough to her to her for her to ever say that to him anyway

Warren wanted her regardless of what she wanted. How she rejected him is irrelevant
I think that when they were dating, Warren respected Katrina but he was afraid of he was afraid of her reaction if she found out about April. It's a bit like what was his score or more directly how many people have he slept with? It's even more embarassing when the amount of partners/sexual partners is very high.

So Katrina should have ran away immediately? Or never crossed the path of Warren?

Last edited by a moderator:

Faded90

Scooby
Why didn't he deserve a nicer rejection? Katrina was in her own right to be furious but all characters in Buffy have made mistakes including Tara but she hasn't been ostracized.

I think that when they were dating, Warren respected Katrina but he was afraid of he was afraid of her reaction if she found out about April. It's a bit like what was his score or more directly how many people have he slept with? It's even more embarassing when the amount of partners/sexual partners is very high.

So Katrina should have ran away immediately? Or never crossed the path of Warren?
He was about to rape her while she was wearing a degrading outfit he’d put her in. Why would she give him a nice or nicer reaction at all?

thrasherpix

Scooby
If you wanna get meta about it, we're not shown redeeming features as we are of the characters. And to get technical about it, Katrina is never shown breaking up with him, but storming off (though it doesn't look good).

But as it is, he was keeping secrets, including with a woman Katrina never met, he belittles and insults her as well as telling her to shut up, and when she tries to leave she is nearly killed by his secret robot that she learns is what he wants in a woman (a puppet with no will, a pure object rather than a person), and though Warren may realize this isn't enough for him, Katrina doesn't see that (nor is she obligated to, at least not until she becomes a Buddhist monk or something along those lines). This is on a completely different level than negging, spying on your phone, or even stealing money for drugs (all of which are also grounds for breakup as well, with feelings of upset justified, but it's not like your life just flashed before your eyes after you realized you were played for a fool and told to shut up about it).

So I stand by that he doesn't deserve a better rejection. He is scum. The fact that the other characters make some mistakes doesn't excuse his reaction or obligate Katrina to handle Warren with kid gloves. (For that matter, I'll defend Xander, but after his kiss with Willow, and Cordelia accidentally getting impaled after, makes me see why she was so bitter and hateful about it for awhile, and don't think she owed Xander some "I think we're not right for each other, but I wish you the best" speech.)

His future behavior makes that all the more clear. Though I think there's a disturbing parallel between Warren and Willow in season 6, even Willow doesn't try to turn Tara (or anyone else, even when Amy offers to do it for her) into a sex toy that she shares with others when deleting memories (and is not a full on mind control, though Tara can't be certain of that).

And the question is would he have used the device, as if his psychopathy was because Katrina didn't let him down gently enough. At least Katrina didn't seem like she was about to make the same mistake of her own free will, so points to her on that.

And what about what Katrina deserves, and how Warren should've treated Katrina? Why is she obligated to be a saint about it who shows understanding and compassion, but Warren isn't?

Stake fodder

Soulless
She didn't have a choice about crossing his path, and she didn't have much reason to be afraid of him when he showed up at the bar. But if she had run away, he wouldn't have had a chance to use the cerebral dampener on her, assuming that it has a limited radius.

Warren showed up with the dampener in his pocket, knowing Katrina was at that bar (at least, it seemed so to me) and determined to use it on her. If she had responded positively, perhaps he wouldn't have used it immediately. But as soon as she wouldn't go with him, or do what he wanted, he would have used it, since that's what he came to do. I believe the end result would have been the same, no matter how she spoke to him.

Top Bottom