• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Would you bring back Buffy?

• Thread starter WillowFromBuffy
  • Start date

What would you do if you were Willow at the start of s6?

• Resurrect Buffy!

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Move away from Sunnydale with Tara and Dawn.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Remain in Sunnydale and protect the Hellmouth with the remaining Scoobies.

Votes: 18 41.9%

• Total voters
W

WillowFromBuffy

I have always been taken aback by how unanimously unpopular Willow's decision to bring Buffy back to life seems to be. Therefore, I wanted to do a poll. What would you do, if you were in Willow's shoes?

First I need to set some ground rules to make sure everyone agrees on the premise.

1. There is no way to know where Buffy is. Gwen Raiden stole all the phones to the afterlife.
2. The Hellmouth is still drawing evil to Sunnydale.
3. There will not be a new slayer in decades, because the current chosen one is locked up in prison.
4. To Willow, Faith is still little more than a murdering, body swapping, hostage taking maniac.
5. The hellportal killed Buffy. If the fall had killed her, it would not have been a mystical death. It seems somewhat proabable that her soul ended up in Glory's hell dimension.

So, would you abandon your best friend, leave the Hellmouth unguarded and rob Dawn of her only true relative? Only you have the power. The choice is yours alone. People will judge you either way.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
I would resurrect Buffy. Yes it was part selfish but I still think the scoobies resurrected Buffy for the good reasons. They didn't know she was happy. If I lost a loved one, had the power to resurrect people and thought that person was in eternal torment - I would definetly do it!

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think the Scoobies had good intentions when it came to resurrecting Buffy (because they thought she was in hell), however they dropped the ball big time by not helping her readjust to life. They kind of just left her to it.

Priceless

Scooby
It was a terrible decision. It was arrogant and selifish. A genius like Willow should have done some research and realised Buffy would be in heaven, or a heavenly dimension . . . But I say all that with 20/20 vision. If I were Willow at the start of S6 I'd have done exactly the same thing. Except for slaughtering the deer. I'd have hired someone to do that for me.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
If I were Willow at the start of S6 I'd have done exactly the same thing. Except for slaughtering the deer. I'd have hired someone to do that for me.
Willow might've had to do that specifically herself though as she was the spell caster.

Priceless

Scooby
Willow might've had to do that specifically herself though as she was the spell caster.
Possibly, but if I were her I couldn't do it. So if that were the only way, then althought I'd have wanted to bring Buffy back, I couldn't have. Willow was so powerful, she must have known another witch or even demon, who could have done it, or even found a way to synthesise it.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
Willow likes cute animals but it's not like she's a vegan or animal rights activist.

flow

Scooby
Both the guarding of the hellmouth and the fate of the active slayer was the watchers council responsibility. They could have gotten Faith out of prison or maybe could have killed her (they did not seem to be very much into that human rights and Geneva Conventions thing) and thus would have activated a new slayer, who could have taken care of the hellmouth.

As for the resurrection: They should have researched.
It is true, that Buffy didn`t die because of the fall. But her Body was still there to be buried. When Angel was sucked into a hell dimension by Acathla, he was completely gone. The same goes for Fred or Connor. Buffy dead body could have been an indication, that somehow Buffys death was different. There was the possibility, she was in a hell dimension. But there was also the possibility, she had died and was, wherever we go, after we are dead.

Willow would have been a heroine, if her spell would have been a rescue mission. But she was assuming that without even thinking about it, let alone discussing it with others (Giles, Angel, Wes....) or researching it.

flow

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I'm one of the ones emphatically against Willow's decision, so my vote is obvious. I think she was being arrogant and full of herself, oddly emulating Buffy herself in the Slayer's most annoying moments throughout the show. Perhaps that is the curse of being the leader, as Angel himself could be like that at times, too.

Buffy's body stayed behind, so the assumption that she went to hell just because Angel did is ridiculous and always makes me roll my eyes. What on earth has Buffy done to deserve a spot in the flames for her soul?

You also said what I would do in Willow's shoes; Willow may hate Faith, but I wouldn't, so I'd break her out and give her back her job. If she is in prison, a place that cannot hold a Slayer, then I'd trust that she was back on the right path.

I have changed my mind on a lot of things since joining this board, this will never be one of them; Willow did not do the right thing. End of, imo.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I'd leave Sunnydale, go to LA and see Faith. I probably wouldn't even demand that she work with the scoobies (because why should that be a demand?) I'd just tell Faith that she needs to take over looking after Sunnydale. I think Willow probably wouldn't do this at this point in time but that's the problem, it was wrong of her to bring Buffy back. She was doing it because she wanted her best friend back, which was selfish and arrogant.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Disagree a little with the last part. I think part of her motivation was because she believed the world was a safer place with Buffy in it.

Dora

Scooby
Never understood why Buffy was the Slayer Faith was the Slayer, hence no one was called when Buffy died...so Buffy could have walked at anytime
Willow was wrong they had her Body why would you think Buffy's Soul would not be in heaven ...she jumped to save the world
Then when they bragged Buffy out of heaven they had moved on with their lives and had no time for her

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
To answer the question more seriously I agree with everyone who says it was a terribly foolish and arrogant thing to do, so no I wouldn't resurrect Buffy unless I could establish for certain where her soul was. Angel went to hell because Buffy physically sent him there. Buffy herself jumping into the mystical energy of a portal and her body remaining on earth isn't remotely the same thing. Besides, if Sunnydale was in serious trouble, why couldn't they call L.A. for some short-term backup (other than the fact that the networks wouldn't have allowed it ;))?

What I found surprising was how supportive Tara seemed to be of the plan. Of all the Scoobies I would have thought she would be the most cautious and conscientious about attempting such an enormous spell without having fully done their research.

Both the guarding of the hellmouth and the fate of the active slayer was the watchers council responsibility. They could have gotten Faith out of prison or maybe could have killed her (they did not seem to be very much into that human rights and Geneva Conventions thing) and thus would have activated a new slayer, who could have taken care of the hellmouth.
That's a really good point. Even if they didn't know what had happened by the time Buffy was buried, Giles would have had to tell them when he got back to England. That the show never really addressed that the slayer line runs through Faith also always bugged me.

Incidentally do you think Buffy knows Willow slaughtered a Bambi for her? :(

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
I think the Scoobies had good intentions when it came to resurrecting Buffy (because they thought she was in hell), however they dropped the ball big time by not helping her readjust to life. They kind of just left her to it.
I agree! Their reasoning made sense since they thought she was suffering, but they certainly did not help her through her actual suffering once she was back!

thrasherpix

Scooby
If I thought she was suffering in some Hell dimension then yes. However, I'd want some sort of confirmation of that, if possible. And is possible given that Angel stole an item that can do that, and that spell Willow used to restore Angel's soul probably could be easily adapted to do the same (or is very disturbing if it just snatches some random soul at random to give to someone else!).

Beyond that, I think humanity has had a good run. If it must be saved every year or so then they're just delaying the inevitable for probably a few years at most. And if the Watchers and others ONLY had the Slayer to depend upon in the Buffyverse then I kinda think humanity deserves to go extinct.

Yet the Buffyverse does as there are demon fighters with a wide variety of talents, and some even get government funding (I bet there are plenty of private funders as well, including the Watchers, and even Wolfram & Hart have a vested interest in keeping their cattle ranch here intact, which is one reason why they'd aid the Slayer to do their dirty work for them against a rival). But standing outside the story I can see it's all a plot device to continue the series.

white avenger

white avenger
Never understood why Buffy was the Slayer Faith was the Slayer, hence no one was called when Buffy died...so Buffy could have walked at anytime
Technically, Buffy hasn't been THE Slayer since Kendra was called. It would have probably been more appropriate to give her a new title, like the Guardian, or the Protector, or something, since the Slayer is the "one girl in all the world...," and that one girl, as of Season 3, was Faith, not Buffy. At best, Buffy is the SPARE Slayer, being used while the real one is serving a little jail time. But, since the title of the show identifies Buffy as the Vampire Slayer, we'll just have to go with it.

RagnarockerB
RagnarockerB
Buffy The Backup Slayer, now airing on the WB Network.

That almost sounds like a more interesting show actually.
W

WillowFromBuffy

I am happily surprised by the amount of people who voted for resurrection. Yay :D

Willow did not kill a bambi. The deer was the physical avatar of a celestial being.

Buffy was the vampires slayer. She never passed on the mantle to Faith the volcanologist butcher. I don't think Willow would have agreed to work with Faith at this point. I can see Giles and Wesley getting Faith to Sunnydale, but the Scoobies would probably disband. The Scoobies worked with Faith in s7, but it was under different circumstances.

The Axis of Pythia is an extremely rare item. How would Willow get her hands on it? Would it even work? If Buffy was trapped in Hell, there would likely be no reception. As Buffy was in a Nirvana-like state of transcendence, she was probably unable to answer.

"Hello, Buffy. This is Willow!"
"I am one with the Cosmos."
"Are you in Hell?"
"Time and space is an illusion."
"Oh my goddess! Let's get her out of there!"
She was doing it because she wanted her best friend back, which was selfish and arrogant.
Nooo, it's touching :(

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
I definitely would. Buffy didn't just die, she died in a very unnatural, magical way by jumping into a portal. Even if Willow had done all the research in the world (and we don't know that she didn't before season 6 started) there would still be no concrete evidence that Buffy was in a good place. I mean she jumped into the portal that Glory was trying to go into, that doesn't look good. I would be haunted by thinking my friend could possibly be suffering for all eternity or something like that.

I also have always personally been annoyed by everyone's (fans and characters) reactions to Willow after the spell. Xander, Anya, and even Tara act like it was all Willow's fault even when they fully agreed and participated with her!! But once Buffy came back unhappy, they all started blaming her. It seemed incredibly unfair to me. And it annoys me when viewers think Willow was being selfish. To me it always seemed like even if Willow being proud of herself was a little part of it, Willow really just cared about Buffy and wanted her to be okay and be back. Willow was proud of herself for re-insouling Angel in season 2, but nobody was mad at her for that because it happened to end well. The other scoobies tended to use Willow's magic over and over again, and then when it would occasionally go wrong they would act shocked and mad, when they know magic is fickle and stuff like that has happened before. She can only do so much here!

W
WillowFromBuffy
It may not last, but I think I am a little bit in love with you.

Dora

Scooby
I am happily surprised by the amount of people who voted for resurrection. Yay :D

Willow did not kill a bambi. The deer was the physical avatar of a celestial being.

Buffy was the vampires slayer. She never passed on the mantle to Faith the volcanologist butcher. I don't think Willow would have agreed to work with Faith at this point. I can see Giles and Wesley getting Faith to Sunnydale, but the Scoobies would probably disband. The Scoobies worked with Faith in s7, but it was under different circumstances.

The Axis of Pythia is an extremely rare item. How would Willow get her hands on it? Would it even work? If Buffy was trapped in Hell, there would likely be no reception. As Buffy was in a Nirvana-like state of transcendence, she was probably unable to answer.

"Hello, Buffy. This is Willow!"
"I am one with the Cosmos."
"Are you in Hell?"
"Time and space is an illusion."
"Oh my goddess! Let's get her out of there!"

Nooo, it's touching :(
Willows action of bringing Buffy back allowed the first to rise ......More crap piled on Buffy from her so called friend, then willow has to be persuaded to use her magics to get Buffy back in Get It Done...to late Girl you caused Buffy so much pain

GraceK

Grr Arrg
Buffy made a choice and was at peace with it. Her job is inherently dangerous and death was inevitable. Are they gonna bring her back continuously every time she dies? Is she never allowed to rest? I would have found out for sure where she was before I even thought of resurrecting her. I understand missing a loved one, but it was selfish. Whether the scoobies liked Faith or not shouldn’t make a difference. She was the slayer at that point regardless, and if Sunnydale was in such jeopardy, and if saving innocent lives was SO important, then they should have attempted to see where Faith was at mentally and broke her out to protect the hellmouth. And if she WAS still a murderous psycho, then it was the councils responsibility to deal with it and activate a new slayer if it was that imperative.

Many people resent Willow for bringing Buffy back from the dead and say she and the Scooby Gang only did it for selfish reasons (with Buffy back they wouldn't have to worry as much about protecting the Hellmouth), but if you think about it, Willow did it because her and the Scooby Gang wanted to save Buffy from eternal torture in the awful hell dimension that all the nightmarish creatures came out of in the Season Five Finale. Of course, if Willow and the Scooby Gang knew Buffy was in heaven, they would have never resurrected her (as shown by how devastated they look, especially Willow, when Buffy tells them in OMWF). Ultimately, if I was Willow I would have resurrected Buffy. I feel like it would have been the right thing to do. Willow and the Scooby Gang all loved Buffy so much and never wanted her to suffer the hellish torture they thought she was experiencing.

Top Bottom