• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Would you bring back Buffy?

• Thread starter WillowFromBuffy
  • Start date

What would you do if you were Willow at the start of s6?

• Resurrect Buffy!

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Move away from Sunnydale with Tara and Dawn.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Remain in Sunnydale and protect the Hellmouth with the remaining Scoobies.

Votes: 18 41.9%

• Total voters

peaceofmind18

Potential
I definitely would. Buffy didn't just die, she died in a very unnatural, magical way by jumping into a portal. Even if Willow had done all the research in the world (and we don't know that she didn't before season 6 started) there would still be no concrete evidence that Buffy was in a good place. I mean she jumped into the portal that Glory was trying to go into, that doesn't look good. I would be haunted by thinking my friend could possibly be suffering for all eternity or something like that.

I also have always personally been annoyed by everyone's (fans and characters) reactions to Willow after the spell. Xander, Anya, and even Tara act like it was all Willow's fault even when they fully agreed and participated with her!! But once Buffy came back unhappy, they all started blaming her. It seemed incredibly unfair to me. And it annoys me when viewers think Willow was being selfish. To me it always seemed like even if Willow being proud of herself was a little part of it, Willow really just cared about Buffy and wanted her to be okay and be back. Willow was proud of herself for re-insouling Angel in season 2, but nobody was mad at her for that because it happened to end well. The other scoobies tended to use Willow's magic over and over again, and then when it would occasionally go wrong they would act shocked and mad, when they know magic is fickle and stuff like that has happened before. She can only do so much here!
I don't really recall any of the other scoobies overtly blaming Willow when they finally found out that the spell had it's consequences ( I mean I think they all knew there was a chance that would happen - a fairly big chance ) they simply voiced more reservations about it than Willow - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe it's just too long since I've watched season 6 but I don't recall her getting much flack from the gang...

Also I think Willow knew way more about what could go potentially wrong than the other scoobies did she just choose not to share that information with them - which I don't necessarily like...

I love Willow and I think in this instance she had the best intentions and I understand and am glad that she brought Buffy back - but then I do also hold her slightly more culpable for it's ill effects.

Dora

Scooby
I always find it a bit poignant that Buffy says to Giles ,why am I back , I was finished , Buffy had had enough.Spike told her that all slayers have a death wish, they get tired of the endless fighting, She jumped, She died ,She was finished, She was dragged out of heaven ,dug herself out of her grave, Buffy asked is this hell ....probably for Buffy it was
I think the scoobies in total acted appallingly from bringing Buffy back to almost ignoring her once she was back, expecting her just to pick up from where she left off
Spike was right Willow kept it from him and Giles because if Buffy had been in a hell dimension there was no telling what or how Buffy would have come back ! and she would have had to kill or send back what came back!
Once Buffy had died why did they not inform the council, Buffy had got him his job back with full back pay, the problem of guarding the hell mouth was theirs not the Scoobies

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
I'm clicking like because you actually said "Spike was right"

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Look, it's my belief that if either Osiris or Buffy or "Odin" wanted her to stay in "Valhalla," she would not have left, and no silly witch would have stopped her.

white avenger

white avenger
I'd call the Fang Gang in L.A. who would tell me that Faith is now reformed. We'd team up to break her out of jail and bring her to Sunnydale. Voila!
I'd just tell Faith that she needs to take over looking after Sunnydale
Even if they didn't know what had happened by the time Buffy was buried, Giles would have had to tell them when he got back to England.
Whether the scoobies liked Faith or not shouldn’t make a difference. She was the slayer at that point regardless, and if Sunnydale was in such jeopardy, and if saving innocent lives was SO important, then they should have attempted to see where Faith was at mentally and broke her out to protect the hellmouth
I always got the impression that the Scoobies covering up Buffy's death was for two main reasons. The first was, obviously, if it were known that she was dead, Dawn would probably wind up in a foster home somewhere, since Hank's current location probably wasn't known to any of them at the time (plus, I'm not all that sure that Hank Summers would have any knowledge of his "daughter" in the first place, since he wasn't around at any time when she was there, and I don't really think that the monks would have bothered altering his memories).

Secondly, Giles and the Scoobies might have reactivated the Buffybot and continued to patrol the hellmouth in order to keep the Council from knowing that Buffy was dead, simply because, if they were aware of the fact, they might decide to somehow have Faith murdered in order to get a new, more manageable, Slayer.

Dora

Scooby
I always got the impression that the Scoobies covering up Buffy's death was for two main reasons. The first was, obviously, if it were known that she was dead, Dawn would probably wind up in a foster home somewhere, since Hank's current location probably wasn't known to any of them at the time (plus, I'm not all that sure that Hank Summers would have any knowledge of his "daughter" in the first place, since he wasn't around at any time when she was there, and I don't really think that the monks would have bothered altering his memories).

Secondly, Giles and the Scoobies might have reactivated the Buffybot and continued to patrol the hellmouth in order to keep the Council from knowing that Buffy was dead, simply because, if they were aware of the fact, they might decide to somehow have Faith murdered in order to get a new, more manageable, Slayer.
Both decisions was not up to them.....Hank summer should have been told of his daughters death, they had no legal right just to bury Buffy , with out informing him and if he did known about Dawn he could have taken her away from the Hell mouth to relative safety , I fail to see what two witches , a absent watcher a robot and a demon + fighting demons = a steady lift for a fourteen year old
Why would they worry about Faith ? if they had told the council of Buffy's death, they could all leave the Hell mouth as it was the councils problem not theirs

Look, it's my belief that if either Osiris or Buffy or "Odin" wanted her to stay in "Valhalla," she would not have left, and no silly witch would have stopped her.
It was a Spell ...not sure you get much notice or say in the matter one second Buffy was in heaven next she was in her coffin, no discussion Buffy said she felt warm and finished and she knew her friends were OK

white avenger

white avenger
Both decisions was not up to them.....Hank summer should have been told of his daughters death, they had no legal right just to bury Buffy , with out informing him and if he did known about Dawn he could have taken her away from the Hell mouth to relative safety , I fail to see what two witches , a absent watcher a robot and a demon + fighting demons = a steady lift for a fourteen year old
Why would they worry about Faith ? if they had told the council of Buffy's death, they could all leave the Hell mouth as it was the councils problem not theirs
As I said, it was never established whether Hank was even aware of Dawn's existence. He never interacted with her, and, as far as we know, he never sent her anything in the way of child support. It stands to reason that the Monks would alter the memories of everyone who was in Sunnydale, plus Angel, Wes, Cordy, and Faith, because they have connections in one way or the other with the hellmouth and the goings on there. It's quite possible that Hank's mind was never altered, because he had no need to know about Dawn. Even if he did remember her, as I said, there wasn't, apparently, any way of getting in touch with Hank, since all that Buffy knew was that he was living somewhere in Europe with his new wife. Barring being able to contact him, Dawn would have been turned over to Child Services, which she obviously didn't want, and which might even place her life in jeopardy if someone or someTHING should ever come hunting for the Key again. Bottom line, she was far safer there with Giles and the Scoobies, who at least knew that there might be a possible danger, than to be in a foster home somewhere. That was pretty much what happened to Connor in Season 5 of "Angel." Neither he nor his foster parents knew anything about any danger until the demons tried to grab him. Luckily, Connor was able to defend himself and his foster parents. Under the same circumstances, Dawn would be virtually helpless.

As for why the Scoobies might care about what happened to Faith, they probably would have not wanted her death on their consciences, since letting the Council know about Buffy's death would most likely be a death sentence for her. Since the fact that Buffy was, in effect, doing Faith's job while she was locked away, it would have been more trouble that it was worth to have Faith killed. Once they knew that Buffy was dead, Faith's life wouldn't be worth much, since the Council obviously felt that replacing her would be far easier and more efficient that "reconditioning" her into something more obedient to their wishes.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
It was a Spell ...not sure you get much notice or say in the matter one second Buffy was in heaven next she was in her coffin said:
The Spell was very clearly a ritual to invoke Osiris, supplicate him, then beg him to release Buffy's soul and return her to this world. Willow was tried by him, presumably she could be found unworthy. Osiris was very clearly okay with it, the Powers that Be were on board, if Buffy didn't want to return, no doubt she could have spoke up. It's not like anyone could compel Death to release one of his guests. I would even say that Buffy's love for her friends pulled her back.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Actually, there is doubt that Buffy could've spoken up, or that anyone would've given her any consideration if she had. The Powers That Be are jerks, and even a teenage Willow in a hospital bed was able to play with souls from the ether. Assuming this is all done by consent of the souls seems like assuming too much to me.

I just remembered the demons that took puppet form and were draining the souls of children to use as a drug in some Hell dimension, IIRC. And Buffy's own soul was being sucked out of her in Living Conditions. It's a very disturbing cosmos, all things considered.

Dora

Scooby
I always go by what is said in the program , Buffy song in OMWF she says they pulled me out of heaven, and in the magic box she ask's Giles why am I back , there is nothing in S6 to show Buffy is happy to be back , we get to gone before Buffy tells Willow she doesn't want top be dead anymore
In dead things when Buffy goes to the police she is looking to be punished for being with Spike and failing on her duty to both Dawn and Slaying you can tell how she feels about herself by what she says to Spike as she beats him , the whole of S6 is about Buffy mental turmoil because she was brought back against her will

RagnarockerB

The Dearest Queerest
Sineya
Nothing ever goes right with a ressurection, Buffy only came out alright because her name is in the title of the show :p Girl has more plot armour than Goku in a filler episode.

Hindsight is 20/20 but here's my thinking:

1. Buffy is a slayer who would have died not once, but twice in the line of duty protecting innocent lives. I don't know what qualifications are for the afterlife but if Buffy can't get past the pearly gates, no one can.
2. There was a body to bury, so it would at least seem somewhat on par with a natural death. It wasn't like Buffy was physically stuck somewhere bad, so there's not really any reason to assume she was in the hell dimension. Bear with me, I'm a bit foggy on the ending of season five, my mind remembers just glowy magic thingus insta-killing Buffy. The Mystical Death thing is also pretty vague. Like, what counts as mystical? Is parallel dimension theory mystical? Wouldn't death by demon inhabited blood craving count as mystical? How about the odds that a juvenile with a gun would land a perfect fatal shot at a person on the second floor standing about a meter away from the window while hip firing? Because methinks someone either is using an aimbot, or another person is a bullet magnet.
3. I've seen Full Metal Alchemist, and I like my limbs attached to my body. I also very much like not being a sentient suit of armour.
4. Kendra appeared pretty instantly. So, I mean, if the slayer line still was with Buffy (and Joss Whedon didn't low-key forget what happens when Slayers die) there would be someone to take Buffy's place pretty quickly.
5. Probably shouldn't let out The First Evil and all that.
6. I don't really know if the world technically *needs* a slayer. As much as I hate The Initiative, a squad of well-trained military types could probably keep everything at bay. Also, Sunnydale is one tiny town, in on county, in one state, in one country. Maybe shit's a sign, you know? Like maybe humans just weren't meant to live there.
7. I'd probably rob Dawn of the last chocolate chip cookie in the world and eat it in front of her while she cried. I'd rob Dawn of her childhood toys just to burn them in her room. I remain inhumanly apathetic to Dawn's thoughts on the matter.
8. With great power comes great responsibility. To use it to ressurect the dead is woeful misuse of power, and misuse of power has consequences.
9. A girl deserves to retire, man. Even the Sith get to retire after they die. Like, shit, work can calm itself down for a couple lifetimes while Buffy enjoys not being alive.

All that aside, Willow did do it so were I Willow, I probably would too. But were I me with all my current knowledge, cynicism and indifference towards human suffering in general, may the Slayer rest in peace. She had a good run, I mean, a lot of Slayers probably won't touch her high score for a long time.

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
1. There is no way to know where Buffy is. Gwen Raiden stole all the phones to the afterlife.
*hits the buzzer* But this is a flawed premise. If you can figure out how the raise the dead, you can figure out how to get cell reception to the afterlife, regardless of raideny thefts.

2. The Hellmouth is still drawing evil to Sunnydale.
And so it was before Buffy. So is Cleveland.

3. There will not be a new slayer in decades, because the current chosen one is locked up in prison.

Get her out of prison. (Or find the potentials and train them if that's your bent, or learn from Gunn and get street smart about being a human hunting vamps)

4. To Willow, Faith is still little more than a murdering, body swapping, hostage taking maniac.
So, her own feelings comes before the saftey of the innocents she supposedly wants to save based on question 2-3. "You shall all die until I deem this woman acceptable! Meanwhile, here's Anya, whom I hang out with on a regular basis and don't object to my best friend marrying even though she's a demon serial-killer whose victims must number in the thousands. I'm a good person with the right priorities"

5. The hellportal killed Buffy. If the fall had killed her, it would not have been a mystical death. It seems somewhat proabable that her soul ended up in Glory's hell dimension.

Find OUT! Stop thinking about yourself, Willow. This isn't about you! No need to be purposely obtuse just because you want your friend back. Think about what Buffy would've wanted. You have brains, use them for something other than manipulating your friends into a ressurection scheme.

So, would you abandon your best friend, leave the Hellmouth unguarded and rob Dawn of her only true relative? Only you have the power. The choice is yours alone. People will judge you either way.
"Abandon", some pre-judging going on here ;)

Blah blah, we're sisters, it's Summers blood, I remember her having been there all my life... i.e. Dawn remembers having a life with their parents too. i.e. her only true relative is not only Buffy but the father she remembers. He's neglectful, yes (so is Buffy when she comes back), but the Scoobies don't actually know him so they don't know if he deserves another chance at raising Dawn or not. And, if Buffy was left dead, they couldn't just take Dawn. That's not how custody works. Also, we know from "Killed by Death" that Buffy had a cousin, meaning she has an aunt or uncle out there. Again, Dawn will be in relatives care. Willow is not a relative, and/or an appropriate guardian anyway.

As for the unguarded Hellmouth, again, it's was unguarded before these past 5 years. As Slayers are randomly called there are clearly plenty of evil places where they need to do their slaying business. Why should Sunnydale be everyones priority one? In the opening of season six ridiculous biker-demons go bezerk when they find out Buffy is dead.... but, it wasn't like that was the norm before Buffy came there. Things were pretty chill when she arrived, comparatively. So for all we know, Buffy's slayerness drew more evil to the spot. With Buffy gone, less evil will come.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
2. The Hellmouth is still drawing evil to Sunnydale.
And so it was before Buffy. So is Cleveland.
Even more reason why you need a powerful witch there to determine the best thing to do.

3. There will not be a new slayer in decades, because the current chosen one is locked up in prison.
Get her out of prison. (Or find the potentials and train them if that's your bent, or learn from Gunn and get street smart about being a human hunting vamps)
What if she doesn't want to fight for you? What is she refuses? Potentials are just little girls playing pretend, they aren't Slayers. Even Kennedy didn't scare anyone.

Dawn remembers having a life with their parents too. i.e. her only true relative is not only Buffy but the father she remembers. He's neglectful, yes (so is Buffy when she comes back), but the Scoobies don't actually know him so they don't know if he deserves another chance at raising Dawn or not. And, if Buffy was left dead, they couldn't just take Dawn. That's not how custody works. Also, we know from "Killed by Death" that Buffy had a cousin, meaning she has an aunt or uncle out there. Again, Dawn will be in relatives care.
But that's not for Dawn to decide what's best for her. That's why Auntie Willow is there. She knows better than just to shuffle Dawnie off into some strangers arms, even if they are family. Let Willow decide how to handle the situation.

Willow is not a relative, and/or an appropriate guardian anyway.
She's a powerful witch, do you think she would let the law stop her?

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
Even more reason why you need a powerful witch there to determine the best thing to do.

What if she doesn't want to fight for you? What is she refuses? Potentials are just little girls playing pretend, they aren't Slayers. Even Kennedy didn't scare anyone.

But that's not for Dawn to decide what's best for her. That's why Auntie Willow is there. She knows better than just to shuffle Dawnie off into some strangers arms, even if they are family. Let Willow decide how to handle the situation.

She's a powerful witch, do you think she would let the law stop her?
If Willow is a powerful witch who can do whatever, surely she can just cast a spell on Faith and make her do it. She doesn't mind wiping the minds of her loved ones, so I'm sure that wouldn't be a moral problem for her. ;)

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
If Willow is a powerful witch who can do whatever, surely she can just cast a spell on Faith and make her do it. She doesn't mind wiping the minds of her loved ones, so I'm sure that wouldn't be a moral problem for her. ;)
I didn't say she could do whatever, she certainly could make paperwork disappear and case workers forget what they know. Wiping Tara's mind was in her best interest, it was to protect Tara from harm (emotionally), by forcing Faith into action she is putting her in the line of danger. That goes against Willow's moral principles as a wiccan, "it harm none, do what ye will". Doing that to Faith would, in essence, harm her.

IdiotJed110
IdiotJed110
She wiped Tara's mind because she didn't want to deal with someone else's conflicting opinion. It was rape, not protection.

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
I didn't say she could do whatever, she certainly could make paperwork disappear and case workers forget what they know. Wiping Tara's mind was in her best interest, it was to protect Tara from harm (emotionally), by forcing Faith into action she is putting her in the line of danger. That goes against Willow's moral principles as a wiccan, "it harm none, do what ye will". Doing that to Faith would, in essence, harm her.
"harm none"*

*does not include playing stabby-stab with a fawn.

Spanky
Spanky
If Faith would volunteer then it would be a moo point. That's why I said what would you do if she DIDN'T

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
"harm none"*
*does not include playing stabby-stab with a fawn.
She had done a blessing previously, which if you watch you can see, and the fawn came to her with knowledge of what was to transpire. It basically volunteered for the role.

Taake
Taake
Guess she could do a blessing and see if Faith volunteered then

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
@Mr.Pole I still don't see that Willow would have a moral issue with forcing her, I don't think wiccan principles meant squat to her, she was more practical than that. Her problem would be that the others might. So she'd have to keep parts of it secret, kind of like the resurrection.

Spanky
Spanky
I do not know what you mean? I am far from perky. I got no sleep. I am dragging tired and feel like I could fall asleep at work. Perky is not a word I would describe to use me.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I don't think wiccan principles meant squat to her, she was more practical than that.
So what? You are saying she was just a fake and only in it for the power?

Her problem would be that the others might. So she'd have to keep parts of it secret, kind of like the resurrection.
And that's exactly why she wouldn't do it. Because she was never big on keeping secrets from the rest of the group. She was the open and honest one.

Taake
Taake
Haha, you're unusually perky today!
Top Bottom