• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Would you bring back Buffy?

• Thread starter WillowFromBuffy
  • Start date

What would you do if you were Willow at the start of s6?

• Resurrect Buffy!

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Move away from Sunnydale with Tara and Dawn.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Remain in Sunnydale and protect the Hellmouth with the remaining Scoobies.

Votes: 18 41.9%

• Total voters

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Also, if Jasmine is to be believed, there was no choice. Regarding hell, it was a flimsy critieria (as Bargaining usually is) but the thought was her soul may have been separated from her body while closing the gate, and could have been trapped in a hell world. Of course, it could just be what witches in the Buffy verse think about death. You are in hell unless you made special arrangements in life.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Cemeteries in BtVS are always in the dark, I think the only exception up until The Gift is Buffy's dream in S2 about Jenny. So when the final scene of Buffy's grave site happens in the sunlight, I always saw that as a metaphor for Buffy being at peace. But, that's just how I see it :)
We've seen cemeteries during the day in Season 2, off the top of my head we saw Buffy and Giles investigating the du lac crypt, I think we saw Giles visit Jenny's grave at the end of passion, we saw Buffy and Dawn at Joyce's funeral etc. The reason cemeteries tend to be in the dark is because that's primarily where Buffy fights her vampires which necessitates being dark. Also, I think I read somewhere that they used a cemetery set because it was easier than trying to film in a real cemetery so the darkness would hide that it's a set.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Also, I think I read somewhere that they used a cemetery set because it was easier than trying to film in a real cemetery so the darkness would hide that it's a set.
Also there was the fact that SMG was really creeped out/scared by actual cemeteries. Using a fake one was probably easier on her nerves.

Mr Trick

Scooby
There's a strong case for all three options. I went with resurrect simply because I think it was a mixture of Willow's hart and head which led her to the decision. I think there are just as many reasons to do what she did as to not do it.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I can't remember, weren't the puppet demons in Angel stealing children's souls, or just their so-called innocence or something?

I do remember calling it life force, but demons do want souls, so presumably they're used to make demons powerful or wealthy (as what the puppet demons were going to become with all the children they were about to drain).

In addition to that, Qortoth (however it's spelled) infected Connor, which presumably affected his soul...these are reasons to think that entering into a Hell dimension could corrupt or snag/drain a soul.

'Course it's a pity that they don't really define what a soul is despite that they can be made to switch bodies (which empaths like Tara can read, understanding Buffy was not Buffy), or played with or taken by other means, in which shamans and witches and even gypsies can get your soul (or give you one).

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I much rather like the idea of finding some way to bring Faith over to Sunnydale sans Buffy. I always felt Willow showed a complete disregard and lack of respect for natural forces such as life and death. It is a line I personally could never cross.

We were always told that the greater the magic used, the greater the potential consequences. I always felt that the consequences in S6 for resurrecting Buffy were never profound enough. Those responsible for the show should have gotten rid of that insufferable Trio and instead had a big bad that was the direct consequence of Willow's magic spell to bring Buffy back. But that's a conversation for another time.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
We were always told that the greater the magic used, the greater the potential consequences. I always felt that the consequences in S6 for resurrecting Buffy were never profound enough. Those responsible for the show should have gotten rid of that insufferable Trio and instead had a big bad that was the direct consequence of Willow's magic spell to bring Buffy back. But that's a conversation for another time.
Season 7 was the consequence. The bijoxi eye or whatever it’s called tells Giles and Anya that bringing Buffy back is what allows The First to gain a foothold. All those deaths of the potentials are a consequence of the spell, Anya says it herself. What makes me mad is NO ONE ever confronts Willow about it, and none of the scoobies except Anya take any responsibility, but they all tear Buffy a new asshole in the mutiny scene and give her a hard time for everything under the sun that season when actually it’s all Willows fault that this apocalypse is even happening. Buffy staying dead literally would have been for the best.

Last edited:
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Forgot about that. I hate s7 so much i rarely watch it anymore. Good points

Mr Trick

Scooby
I much rather like the idea of finding some way to bring Faith over to Sunnydale sans Buffy. I always felt Willow showed a complete disregard and lack of respect for natural forces such as life and death. It is a line I personally could never cross.

I've always been interested in Faith at least for a small period being the lead Slayer in Sunnydale. There would have been some fresh and exciting story possibilities. Her interactions with Willow and Dawn could have been especially interesting. My guess is that the network had doubts over if the ratings hold up without SMG as the lead. And maybe it just never crossed their minds to bring Faith back at that point.

Dora

Scooby
I've always been interested in Faith at least for a small period being the lead Slayer in Sunnydale. There would have been some fresh and exciting story possibilities. Her interactions with Willow and Dawn could have been especially interesting. My guess is that the network had doubts over if the ratings hold up without SMG as the lead. And maybe it just never crossed their minds to bring Faith back at that point.
I know that the original excuse was that Eliza was too busy to take over from SMG, when she left , but I read somewhere that Eliza would only do it if Whedon would be in charge of the day to day running of the show , and he would not be , I presume it would be Marti Noxious `
I remember Sarah saying she would be willing to come back for a few episode etc if they ran with Eliza ,
There was also another story going around that they offered SMG a large pay rise to film a S8 but she would only do it if she could read and OK the scripts first , this was not acceptable for mutant enemy

On topic leave Sunnydale , it was the council's problem not the scoobies certainly not Buffy's , the line ran though Faith....Buffy could and should have walked from Sunnydale , she had died by the master , she was no longer the slayer , a slayer not the slayer

Mr Trick

Scooby
I know that the original excuse was that Eliza was too busy to take over from SMG, when she left , but I read somewhere that Eliza would only do it if Whedon would be in charge of the day to day running of the show , and he would not be , I presume it would be Marti Noxious `
I remember Sarah saying she would be willing to come back for a few episode etc if they ran with Eliza ,
There was also another story going around that they offered SMG a large pay rise to film a S8 but she would only do it if she could read and OK the scripts first , this was not acceptable for mutant enemy

On topic leave Sunnydale , it was the council's problem not the scoobies certainly not Buffy's , the line ran though Faith....Buffy could and should have walked from Sunnydale , she had died by the master , she was no longer the slayer , a slayer not the slayer
Any one of the rumours could be true or false. I doubt the one about SMG and S8. I think she had clearly made up her mind at the end of S7 that it was time for a change. It's possible that in a off the cuff remark she might have said a pay rise might have talked her into it. Or maybe her agent was putting it out there.

Mateo

Townie
My question is would Sunnydale really be that endangered? I mean yea it would because we see the motorcycle demons but isn't Clevland a Hell Mouth too? Who is guarding that one?
But yes I would have resurrected her because I would have guessed she was in the hell dimension Glory wanted to return to.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
Cleveland is like Disneyland while Sunnydale is Disneyworld.

Dora

Scooby
Any one of the rumours could be true or false. I doubt the one about SMG and S8. I think she had clearly made up her mind at the end of S7 that it was time for a change. It's possible that in a off the cuff remark she might have said a pay rise might have talked her into it. Or maybe her agent was putting it out there.
I think she had made her mind up by the end of S6... I remember MN saying they did not expect Sarah to sign on again after S7 and Whedon saying that Sarah had told him she would leaving early in S7
And of course there is Freddies interview, saying she would have stayed but for the nonsense she had to put up with

Last edited:
Top Bottom