• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Would you have ended Season 7 differently?

W

WillowFromBuffy

It was a perfect end, though not a perfect episode. A show about growing up and surviving the trials of life could not end with Buffy getting depressed and killing herself. In Chosen, Buffy and her friends finally overcame their problems and went off to build a new and better world with the new slayer master race. The comics continue the story, but I like to imagine the happy ever after.

Similarly, it made sense for AtS to have a tragic but defiant ending.

flow

Scooby
I agree, it was the perfect ending.

Different ending No. 1: The First Evil wins and the Turoks-Han overrun the world. No. Don`t like it.
Different ending No. 2: Buffy wears the amulet, saves the world and dies. That would have been to depressing.
Different ending No. 3: Spike wears the amulet, saves the world, escapes the flames and rides into the sunset with Buffy on a white horse. Nice, but too cheesy.
Different ending No. 4: Angel wears the amulet, burns to ashes, saves the world and Spike and Buffy walk happily away from the battlefield, holding hands and smiling happily. Somehow that doesn`t feel right.

I actually can not think of any other end of BtVS, that would have been better or even as good, as the one, Joss gave us.

flow

white avenger

white avenger
Different ending No. 3: Spike wears the amulet, saves the world, escapes the flames and rides into the sunset with Buffy on a white horse. Nice, but too cheesy.
Especially since Spike "riding into the sunset" would have been a very dusty proposition.

Different ending No. 4: Angel wears the amulet, burns to ashes, saves the world and Spike and Buffy walk happily away from the battlefield, holding hands and smiling happily. Somehow that doesn't feel right.
Again, we have that "walking away, hand in hand," in broad daylight situation, which would have resulted in the final scene being Buffy and a cloud of Spike colored dust. Angel wearing the amulet, however, would have resulted in Angel being the incorporeal one in his Season 5, which might have been a good excuse to have at least some of the Sunnydale gang hang around LA to help bail him out of his situation. That would have been okay with me.

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
that would actually have constituted a reason for Spike to hang around in L.A. Never did like that aspect of the whole business... I kept expecting Spike to leave or Buffy to guest star...

Meliza

Scooby
I did love Chosen, I was blown away then and still am. It does kind of make up for the flaws of the final season, which had much more pressure being the final season and all. Like how Faith retroactively redeems Kendra in my mind, Kendra when she appeared on the scene was a twist and cool concept "two slayers!" then her story fizzled out not amazingly but then you have Faith, if she had come first, it would have been a twist seen coming a mile away, a ying to her yang cliche but Faith was truly shocking she had well earned complexity and Kendra gets some of the credit for that.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
I'd totally LOSE the Potentials. They were a silly idea...Buffy should've defeated ALL of S7's baddies. Without help. She's Buffy! Why should she need a bunch of annoying girls to help her defeat a villian? And those scenes of the girls training...just dumb.

I'd also get rid of the Trio for sure! And Spike would've been killed in the first episode. :D

fauxindigo

Scooby
Would've killed Andrew & Rona instead of Anya & Amanda... even if Andrews character deserved more development at that point than Anya. It made more sense for Anya to die than Andrew but no reason Amanda had to die and not Rona.

peaceofmind18

Potential
I would have had a longer more emotional scene after Ayna's death - I didn't mind Xander's little line because it was said with love, but I would have liked to see him looking back forlornly as the school bus pulled away from the scene of Anya's demise... / Had Willow,Buffy or Dawn offer some comfort ( could have been as little as a squeeze of his hand ) - I'd want it to stay subtle though...

I've heard part of the reason they handled it the way they did was the nature of the character and Emma wanted a sort comic swan song...

Probably wouldn't have had Spike die / I kind of thought they might bring him back for Angel and I find that the whole Kill him and bring them back schtick takes away from the impact of the scene...

Mind you when BTVS employed it - it wasn't quite as commonly OVER used as now...

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I'm quite happy with Chosen. I think despite reading most of the comics I'm probably going to settle on that as the end in my head canon. A feature length version might have been good, although I could juts be being greedy.

Only real niggle is I think the Turok Han should have been a more credible threat. They did become a bit like canon fodder at the end.

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
*cracks knuckles*

Ok, if it's only the end I can deal with and not the entire season then first of all:

1) NO cop-out amulet! Yeah it was great to have Angel swing by, yeah the deus ex machina was sorely needed because they'd apparently forgotten how to write stories that needed endings (don't create invincible odds/villains that needs defeating), but it's such a disappointment to have a magical doo-hickey save the day! (Also, you get one magical get-out-of-jail free card, that's the scythe, don't come at me with magical jewellry on top of this!)

2) If anyone is getting Slayer powers it's gonna be Buffy doubling up in Get It Done. Having her refuse it and 'beating the patriarchy' down only to force it upon thousands of unasked girls (below mentioned 'master race') because like 12 of them said - yeah ok - is not girl power. It's Buffy turning into the new Watcher's Council, forcing an unwanted destiny upon clueless innocent girls, with unknown ramifications.

3) If the odds are so dire, set up the season better, get more people involved. If you want to sell me that the world is truly ending then cut both Bangel and Spuffiness in order to get your ducks in a row. No second front BS, no basement cuddles, get Angel in there to fight! Leave the romance to fan fiction. The romance was always a part of the show, but it was never the main point of the show, it's about the mission people :p Haven't you been telling us that all season?

4) Have Buffy save the day. This is Buffy's final stand. I want to see Buffy win and conquer once more, not go through with a half-baked plan that ultimately is only a way to stall the bad guys until the amulet kicks in. The final words of the show being "Spike" makes me want to rip my eyes out and scream, am I watching Spike the vampire? Charmed? It's Buffy's show, for pete's sake, if you want a grand finale it should be hers, after seven years dammit she's earned it.

5) Willow should be in the fight. This is the last season, in the penultimate season she tried to end the world. It would've been amazing to see her side-by-side with Buffy, using magic to fight evil again (Slayer power spell doesn't count, again, it was just a stalling technique for the real power - the amulet - and morally ambiguous at best). She should've been in the actual fight.

6) If you can't beat the odds, all those millions of unkillable vamps, then have them find a way to seal the Hellmouth or something, have a fight above ground while this is happening. Since apparently the Hellmouth has an official "door" now this really shouldn't be a problem, the writing is so bad at this point they could've just stuffed it with Andrew or something.

That's it for now, I'm exhausted just thinking about this mess of an episode.

In Chosen, Buffy and her friends finally overcame their problems and went off to build a new and better world with the new slayer master race.
Am I the only one getting uncomfortable chills from this? Just me? :p

EarthLogic
EarthLogic
It's not just you. I was thinking about the scariness of that phrasing too.
Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
#5 I completely agree with. *hides before ranting about the rest*
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Good points
W

WillowFromBuffy

As a girl who loves her Nietzsche, I refuse to accept a homo superior who thinks throwing punches is a good approach to life. They're just the foot soldiers for the real superiors ;)
Where are these 'real superiors'? They sound like their looking for a fight.

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
Where are these 'real superiors'? They sound like their looking for a fight.
So, basically you're saying Willow is not a superior then? Not a Slayer. Not the master race. Poor Willow, inconsequential side-kick yet again. ;)
Technically, enabling their joint existence, she is a superior. Just saying.

W

WillowFromBuffy

So, basically you're saying Willow is not a superior then? Not a Slayer. Not the master race. Poor Willow, inconsequential side-kick yet again. ;)
Technically, enabling their joint existence, she is a superior. Just saying.
I actually don't like the super-Willow of the comics that much. I like her when she's sad, because she reminds me of me :p

Top Bottom