• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Would you have preferred Giles to be the First in S7

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
Hi all,

Ok so S7 Giles has never been our favorite on this board. Now what I want to discuss with you is:

Would you have preferred S7 Giles to be dead and his incarnation in Sunnydale to be the First?

I could also see him die for a moment like Buffy in S1 and then come back to life but still be The First ''dressed'' as him in Sunnydale until the real one gets back.

What do you guys think?

Sineya
He got hit over the head often enough that momentary death would be possible. The question is, what incident caused it/

The real question is, do I think Season 7 Mutant Enemy was capable writing a death of Giles scenario with enough of a payoff to justify killing one of the main characters, one who would have negated any planned appearances in Angel, his involvement in the Finale, and his planned participation in “Ripper?” No, I don’t have that confidence, I don’t see the plot reasons for doing so, and I don’t think the producers would have gone through with it. Plot wise, the First wouldn’t be very much of a Diablos if he couldn’t spy on them unseen, and he already had ways of killing them all that didn’t require dragging them to the desert. I think it was a bad subplot that was intended to kill time. Sure, the First as Giles saying hurtful things to people sounds like fun, and he really didn't do anything important in Season 7, but it would ultimately mean that Anya and Andrew would get most of the exposition, and does anyone really want that?

It would at least give him something slightly more important to do. The guy was benched hard after season 5 and I can't for the life of me figure out why.
I never gave any thought to Giles being the First in Season 7. And to be frank, I don't see why that should be important in the first place . . . especially since his presence in that particular season was pretty consistent in the second half.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think it could have worked, we could have then had a flashback episode of when he died. The death could have been recent or years previously with Ethan during the Ripper years, and him being resuscitated. So many possibilities about it.

SES SA

Potential
I never gave any thought to Giles being the First in Season 7. And to be frank, I don't see why that should be important in the first place . . . especially since his presence in that particular season was pretty consistent in the second half.
Why should it? It doesn't really have to be. I just wanted Giles to have something important to do, which I did not feel he did. ASH is, for me, the most talented actor they had. And Giles is a great character. Rarely do shows get so lucky. But for season 6 and (particularly) 7 I felt he was a little sidelined. Seasons 1-5 (and even 6 at the end) Giles always had his moments and ASH killed them. I just wish he had something like that in 7.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I love S7 Giles. No, I would not want him to be the First. I think S7 Giles is him finally becoming a Watcher and living up to what the title means.

white avenger

white avenger
Being the big Bad, no, but if it had been discovered/revealed near the end that Giles had actually had a trigger like Spike, and had been unknowingly doing the First Evil's bidding throughout the Season, or even further back (they could have used that as an excuse for why he left in Season 6 when Buffy's mental state was so out of kilter) it would have made quite a lot of sense, in my opinion, and go further to explain the tension that developed between the two of them in the latter part of Season 7 than any conflict over the advantage of keeping Spike alive.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
I think it could have worked, we could have then had a flashback episode of when he died. The death could have been recent or years previously with Ethan during the Ripper years, and him being resuscitated. So many possibilities about it.
I like that idea of Giles momentarily dying in his experimentation years with the occult. Maybe a BTVS version of Flatliners.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Despite me not liking season 7 Giles for the most part, keeping him alive was worth it for the sole purpose of having him in Chosen and supporting Buffy. So I wouldn't have wanted him to be The First.

No, I wouldn't have done that storyline in the first place. Though I would have done a Giles suffering from PTSD after losing the council and his colleagues and how it affects his decisions.

Top Bottom