• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Would you have wanted Tara to live?

lilyrosenberg

Tara x Willow
It is honestly unfair that Tara gets killed off. She's an important character, and she was perfect for Willow. She doesn't deserve to be treated like a "lesser" character.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
To answer the question: no.

She doesn't deserve to be treated like a "lesser" character.
I posit her death, and the subsequent reaction disproves she is a lesser character.

Taake
Taake
Obviously the dog types for me, my girly hands are too small and dainty for hard labor

Taake

Raise your hand if... EW
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yes, in theory.
No, in practice.

I love Tara but her death is just... so ”good” storytelling-wise and really pushes the characters into whole new positions. It still hurts to watch that scene, but I wouldn’t get rid of it for anything.

But it would’ve been interesting to see where the character could’ve gone, had she lived. :)

I don’t think her death makes her a lesser character though, I mean, it is impactful because she’s not a lesser character. Edit: Spanky totally copied me on this. I said it first... almost.

Spanky
Spanky
I can read your mind and type faster than you can think and type. Sad. Though, considering you are just a girl I should cut you slack that you can even think and type at all.

katmobile

Scooby
Yes, in theory.
No, in practice.

I love Tara but her death is just... so ”good” storytelling-wise and really pushes the characters into whole new positions. It still hurts to watch that scene, but I wouldn’t get rid of it for anything.

But it would’ve been interesting to see where the character could’ve gone, had she lived. :)

I don’t think her death makes her a lesser character though, I mean, it is impactful because she’s not a lesser character. Edit: Spanky totally copied me on this. I said it first... almost.
I understand why they didn't do it but I'd have loved to have seen her resurrected. I understand anyone who disagrees but i think that the story we got out of Tara dying was worth killing her off for though.

telperion66

Potential
Tara was a weak character with very little depth in my opinion. I could never get engaged in her character or the performance of Amber Benson, which, to me, was quite shallow and played just the one note all the time. Amber Benson pretending to be shy really grates my cheese.

In short, by killing her off we got rid of a weaker character, but to be honest, by that point in the series most of the characters were watered down or downright annoying/atrocious.

I still enjoyed her death scene on first watch; very well executed by the writers.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Well, the title says wanted so, sure, I wouldn't want any characters that I love to die :D

But I agree with Taake, it was the right choice from a writing standpoint, however, I wish it had been written better so that Tara didn't have to return to Willow in order for her to die. Hell, they could have just had her stopping by to pick up some of her things or whatever, and then she was shot.

Nix

Evil Nix 😈
Sineya
She should have come back as a full time ghost scooby!!

Taake

Raise your hand if... EW
Staff member
Black Thorn
I understand why they didn't do it but I'd have loved to have seen her resurrected. I understand anyone who disagrees but i think that the story we got out of Tara dying was worth killing her off for though.
Do I sound cruel if I say I would have preferred her to come back as the First? I’m a sucker for tragedy!

Some days I agree with you on resurrection, but mostly, I’m just so pleased there are at least two deaths on the show with real meaning (Joyce, Tara) because they don’t come back. Not that I’m against characters coming back, but I like the ”natural deaths” are pretty permanent thing.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
No.
But I would've wanted her death acknowledged more post S6 by people other than Willow. Dawn and Buffy really because they were both close to her and shared some really vulnerable moments with her. We should've seen them talking about/referencing Tara.

Also I might've wanted a couple of Tara cameo's in S7; one masquerading as 'The First' BUT also another one in 'Chosen' as her spirit shares one last tender moment with 'empowered Willow' before moving on and giving Willow some real closure.

K
katmobile
I actually respect Amber's decision not to do Tara as the First but I like the idea of the spell resurrecting Tara's spirit briefly. I would say Anya's too as the Hellmouth goes down briefly. I like what happened with season ten Vis a vis that.

nightshade

I don't understand your definition of good news
Staff member
Black Thorn
No, but if not death then I would have liked her to leave with a good storyline, not just fade out post break up

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
I think I'm on the fence. I see what people say about her character being very weakly developed and Willow being "abusive." Tara was also portrayed as incredibly socially inept as the beginning, it was kinda painful to watch her scenes.

But I felt that Tara's character slowly grew up. I liked that she left Willow and kinda liked that they were finding their way back to each other, with Willow understanding that she had been abusing magic (and hence, abusing Tara).

Of course, as a story-arc makes sense, we get Dark Willow suffering the pain of losing someone she loved so much. But I hate Kennedy so much in S7, that I'd trade her for Tara anytime :confused:. A more mature and grounded Tara would have been great to see.

Giovanna

Townie
I think I'm on the fence. I see what people say about her character being very weakly developed and Willow being "abusive." Tara was also portrayed as incredibly socially inept as the beginning, it was kinda painful to watch her scenes.

But I felt that Tara's character slowly grew up. I liked that she left Willow and kinda liked that they were finding their way back to each other, with Willow understanding that she had been abusing magic (and hence, abusing Tara).

Of course, as a story-arc makes sense, we get Dark Willow suffering the pain of losing someone she loved so much. But I hate Kennedy so much in S7, that I'd trade her for Tara anytime :confused:. A more mature and grounded Tara would have been great to see.
Yeah, I kinda agree with you. Tara was finding her way back to Willow and was becoming more a real person. But it's difficult to see where they could have taken her. It was indeed painfully awkward to see her at the beginning of her relationship with Willow.

Last edited:

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Also I might've wanted a couple of Tara cameo's in S7; one masquerading as 'The First' BUT also another one in 'Chosen' as her spirit shares one last tender moment with 'empowered Willow' before moving on and giving Willow some real closure.
I agree with the Willow moment. AB didn't want to do Tara as the First because she'd had letters from fans saying how much Tillow had helped them, and she felt it was wrong to then have Tara come back and tell Willow to kill herself.

As for the OP question, yes I would've liked Tara to live and I would've loved for her to put Kennedy in her place. I think the Dark Willow storyline could still happen if Tara flatlined at the hospital and Willow believed her dead and rushed off for revenge before she had chance to see the Doctors revive Tara. We only started seeing glimpses of Tara's humorous side eg telling Spike to put some ice on his "cramp" before she died so it would've been nice if we could see more of that side of Tara.

Tara could be in a wheelchair in Season 7 and Kennedy would be a good antagonist towards her. Kennedy is a classic bully who only cares about what she wants. Since Tara has been introverted before (and would feel a little insecure about her paralysis since it would take a while to adjust to), she'd be an easy target for Kennedy who wants Willow. To see Tara stand up for herself and put Kennedy in her place would be a great moment.

MrsDupas

Townie
I loved Tara. I can understand other peoples arguments, but for me Tara represented a very special kind of "goodness." Yes, she was a little bit too awkward at the beginning, but she was lovely. I cannot think of another character that had that special spark. I wish she didn't die.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I loved Tara. I can understand other peoples arguments, but for me Tara represented a very special kind of "goodness." Yes, she was a little bit too awkward at the beginning, but she was lovely. I cannot think of another character that had that special spark. I wish she didn't die.
Tara fulfilled the "too good for this sinful earth" trope. There was more that could've been done with her, her character was slightly wasted.

M
MrsDupas
True. But she was killed-off when she was starting to be more independent (putting a stop to Willow) and integrating more into the Scoobies (Buffy crying in her lap regarding Spike). I wish we could have seen more of her.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I think Joss was in error to assume Tara was just another character he created, and not a gay icon he was only the trustee of, but I think the story was sound, and the Dark Willow Arc would not have worked as well without the loss.

Top Bottom