• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Would you like to see Faith in a relationship?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I think it would lessen the character. Until they prove they can write relationships correctly, no. Buffy's story is too often not about Buffy but about Buffy's relationships. So no, don't really want that with Faith.

white avenger

white avenger
I think that Faith needs someone, yes, and I would go so far as to say, someone not involved with vampires, demons, witches, and Old Ones. Just some ordinary person with whom she can sit down over a cup of coffee occasionally and talk about anything but Slaying, and maybe even take a couple of days and just have fun. They don't have to sleep together, though I wouldn't rule the possibility out, as long as it isn't Faith's usual, "Slam, bam, thank you, ma'am," sort of encounter. As the old saying goes, if they're gonna have dinner together, it would be nice if breakfast was part of the plan. Just about everybody else in the Buffyverse has had someone. Why does Faith have to be alone all the time?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Not really.
There's just no foundation there with any character of note save one (okay, two, but let's not have Faith & Angel dating. That would be tired and lazy) and I don't want anything forced just for the sake of it.
Faith has actually got other things going on in her life that are way more important. Her 'not knowing her place in the world now she's an adult' stuff is actually better realized that the Scoobies (in the comics at any rate).
She's struggling to find work, find a place to live, find a balance in her partnership with Angel and do her job to the best of her ability as well as making amends to those she's wronged in the past. That's a lot of stuff to be going on with, what's the point of having something tacked on at this point in time?

In the future- sometime- sure, maybe, but could it be that Faith is just an example of how slayers normally are? Not that much concerned with hearts and flowers and relationships because there are bigger things in their life.
Buffy and Faith have always been about contrasts in how they view their slaying life, this could be just another contrast.

white avenger

white avenger
could it be that Faith is just an example of how slayers normally are?
But "normal" Slayers, up until the time that Willow performed the activation spell, were apparently given no choice as to whether or not they wanted to live that life. They were looked on by the Watchers' Council, not as young women with rights and a life of their own, but as resources to be used, literally, for the rest of their lives, little more than slaves or cannon fodder. Don't worry if you get this girl killed, you'll always have a new one tomorrow. For that matter, if one girl goes bad, don't let the legal authorities handle the situation, just send in a wet team, complete with automatic weapons, and either kidnap her and bring her in for "reconditioning," or kill her outright and start all over with fresh, probably more tractable, cannon fodder tomorrow.. Not much of what I would call an enviable existence.

What passes as normal post the activation spell is that, apparently, the girls do, in fact, have a choice in whether or not they want that life, and almost certainly have the right to take some time off if they need it. Front line soldiers aren't just allowed, they are required, to take down time, simply as a method of retaining their peak level of efficiency and, in some cases, their very sanity, and part of that down time is the opportunity to associate with non combatants and civilians in order to, as much as possible, forget, for a brief moment, what their job actually involves, and the possible, indeed almost certainly inevitable, end result of that job.

Aside from time in prison, Faith has been on that front line from the time of her Calling up until the present in the comic's time line, with no real down time except for occasional one night stands (and, apparently, not even any of those, lately) and one failed relationship with the son of another Slayer. By any sane standards, she is long overdue for some form of leave and the opportunity to enjoy a real normal life, complete with friends, if only for a short time.

thetopher

Sineya
What passes as normal post the activation spell is that, apparently, the girls do, in fact, have a choice in whether or not they want that life, and almost certainly have the right to take some time off if they need it. Front line soldiers aren't just allowed, they are required, to take down time, simply as a method of retaining their peak level of efficiency and, in some cases, their very sanity, and part of that down time is the opportunity to associate with non combatants and civilians in order to, as much as possible, forget, for a brief moment, what their job actually involves, and the possible, indeed almost certainly inevitable, end result of that job.
I didn't meant externally- as in forced by circumstance to be alone- but more internally.
We see the problems and heartbreak that Buffy has with slaying. She wants that normal part of her life so desparatly but it certainly ins't easy. Buffy admits that she has problems 'connecting' with people and yet she's surrounded by friends and family.
That isn't the doing of the Watcher's Council, that's inherent to the slayer. No matter who she's with there is one part of Buffy- the slayer part most likely- that is isolated, restless and seemingly cut off from the rest of her life.

By any sane standards, she is long overdue for some form of leave and the opportunity to enjoy a real normal life, complete with friends, if only for a short time.
I have to take issue with this. Why is it 'insane' to not want or need a relationship at a certain point? Why is Faith 'long overdue'? What if she just doesn't feel like it at that moment? What if she feels that- as a person who has wronged so many people and has much to make up for- she has no real right to indulge in personal relationships.
Faith could just be a workaholic, or preoccupied with finding meaning in her life, or busily and selflessly making amends. Possible, right? Not all characters have to be defined by who they are currently dating.

white avenger

white avenger
I have to take issue with this. Why is it 'insane' to not want or need a relationship at a certain point? Why is Faith 'long overdue'? What if she just doesn't feel like it at that moment? What if she feels that- as a person who has wronged so many people and has much to make up for- she has no real right to indulge in personal relationships.
Faith could just be a workaholic, or preoccupied with finding meaning in her life, or busily and selflessly making amends. Possible, right? Not all characters have to be defined by who they are currently dating.
Slayer or not, Faith is certainly human, even if a very powerful one, and it is a medical fact that the kind of long term stress that she has been under, probably longer than any other Slayer in history, including Buffy, who we clearly saw at least once, between Seasons 1&2, spend the summer with her father, and again, between Seasons 2&3 working as a waitress in LA (apparently without doing any demon fighting all summer, or Giles and the Watchers would have been able to locate her) and between Seasons 5&6 in Heaven, all conscious breaks from her Slayer duties, whereas the only time away from the job that Faith had was unconscious coma time and prison life, complete with its own unique stresses.

The term that describes this is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

PTSD Linked to Long-Term Physical, Emotional and Cognitive Symptoms

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

http://www.apa.org/research/action/ptsd.aspx

TBI and PTSD: Navigating the Perfect Storm | BrainLine Military

Wildfly

blue fire
Black Thorn
Absolutely. Someone who can make her laugh. Someone whom she can respect and wont tread on him/her.

Last edited:

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Though I agree that maybe this isn't the best time, I do think that at some point Faith deserves to have someone who loves her, unconditionally, more than anyone else, because I don't think she's had at in her life. And Faith's discomfort with that, and journey to trusting someone like that, i think would be interesting to see.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Hell. to. the. no. I'm so sick of every character always needing a relationship or a love story. I want a dam character that shows that you don't need that stuff to be happy. Seriously, she's the only one that's always been equally fine being single compared to being in a relationship.

Wildfly

blue fire
Black Thorn
fine? her reaction to Riley's confession in s4 proved to me that the reason she wasn't in a relationship is not because she doesn't need one, but because she is scared. (no idea what happened between her and Wood in the comics and if that was serious. but got the impression from the comments that it didn't go well)
not saying that everyone needs to be constantly paired up, but as @buffyS said,
at some point Faith deserves to have someone who loves her, unconditionally, more than anyone else, because I don't think she's had at in her life.
Would be nice if she could experience that, at least for a while.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
Hell. to. the. no. I'm so sick of every character always needing a relationship or a love story. I want a dam character that shows that you don't need that stuff to be happy. Seriously, she's the only one that's always been equally fine being single compared to being in a relationship.
Thank you, this^^
Mad scientist thou art so wise.

Blaze
Blaze
Thanks :P I work hard on that wiseness...by conducting as many crazy experiments as I can

thetopher

Sineya
Slayer or not, Faith is certainly human, even if a very powerful one, and it is a medical fact that the kind of long term stress that she has been under, probably longer than any other Slayer in history, including Buffy, who we clearly saw at least once, between Seasons 1&2, spend the summer with her father, and again, between Seasons 2&3 working as a waitress in LA (apparently without doing any demon fighting all summer, or Giles and the Watchers would have been able to locate her) and between Seasons 5&6 in Heaven, all conscious breaks from her Slayer duties, whereas the only time away from the job that Faith had was unconscious coma time and prison life, complete with its own unique stresses.
But Faith is not Buffy. Faith is more self-reliant in many ways. She had the crappy childhood, the scummy parents, no fatherly Watcher type, no supportive freinds on hand with a magic spell or a pep-talk. She's learned long ago to get by on her own. Whilst some of this isn't always by her own choice she can be considered to be more scarred and toughened by her past life experienced than weakened and damaged by them.
Faith got by on the odd visit from a broody vampire and some court appointed therapy- 'murder rehab'- as Faith describes it, and seemed to come out of prison as a much more stable person- focused first on getting Angel back and then helping out as best she could in Sunnydale.

Although it seems that- judgeing by her state in Season 7 and 8 her relationship with Robin Wood did more harm than good- maybe more evidence that romance isn't the PTSD tonic for her?

The term that describes this is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Some fans have suscribed PTSD to Faith's character before, but that was way back in S3.
The signs are at least there to interpret; hyper-awareness and over-reaction to sudden stimulus (whacking Buffy when she touches Faith on the shoulder whilst dancing)
Reckless disregard for there own well-being and others (Bad Girls), flashback's to certain traumatic incidents (Finch).
Some of this was put down to Faith seeing her Watcher murdered right in front of her- imagine The Master doing that to Giles sometime in S1- which I could understand to a certain extent in a 16/17 year old girl. I think the signs were there that she wasn't completely healed after 'FH&T' but the others were preoccupied.

But Faith isn't that person anymore nor does she show any signs of PTSD these days. In fact she's in quite a good place emotionally in many respects. She has a small but growing group of allies that she could maybe start to call friends. I think that matters more than her having a boyfriend because well, she's never needed a boyfriend to get though the bad stuff in her life. She had Angel, then she had Giles, and now she has herself.
I'm not saying that she doesn't want one (although I don't see any evidence that she's even thinking about a relationship) more that there isn't really a case to say that she needs one right now.
In the future? I'd like to see her happier and have somebody tell her flat-out that she's awesome. I mean, give her an honest-to-god magnificent pep-talk that would make her smile and give her a happy. That's all I ask. I think Faith needs that more than a relationship tbh.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Yes and no. I think it would be nice for her to try a relationship for a bit and see how she finds it. Wouldn't have to last forever but it would be a new adventure for her. However there's not a single person from the main cast that fits the bill in the comics. Which means a new character needs to be introduced and made interesting enough in his own right to make it entertaining.

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
I see a double wedding set for June with Spike/Buffy and Faith/Angel living happily ever after. Don't kill me! I can't help being funny because I'm Canadian.

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
can they get together for "parties"? lol Getting too imaginative because of that hot backsteps thread that is going on! I love Spike and Angel together and I totally think they had it going on as demons and that "one time" that Spike referred to between him and Angel. But unfortunately for us as humans and manpires they seem kind of hetro so I don't know if that fantasy will work for them as much as it does for us.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Well anything possible & at least that way Buffy wont get in the way :p

Top Bottom