• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Would You Tell Dawn Straight Away?

Priceless

Scooby
I have just watched No Place Like Home and I can't help thinking Buffy would have been better off telling Dawn the truth straight away, after discussing it with Joyce. Dawn was meant to be 14 I think, old enough to handle the truth, although she did seem quite immature.

I understand Buffy's need to protect Dawn, but sometimes the truth is more of a protection than a lie, especially because we know how she finds out and what consequences that has. It might have been better for Buffy to sit down with Dawn and Joyce and tell her while she was surrounded by love and understanding, and form a plan to protect her together.

Riderofapocalypse

Potential
trying to put myself in Buffy's shoes (keeping in mind that she has sisterly feelings toward Dawn regardless if those feelings are based upon a lie), i don't think i would be able to tell Dawn what she was as soon as i found out. I would most likely never tell her unless i absolutely had to. Regardless if it's the smart thing to do or not, how do i tell my baby sister she isn't real? And expect her not to go crazy, especially before she's old enough to drive.

Priceless

Scooby
trying to put myself in Buffy's shoes (keeping in mind that she has sisterly feelings toward Dawn regardless if those feelings are based upon a lie), i don't think i would be able to tell Dawn what she was as soon as i found out. I would most likely never tell her unless i absolutely had to. Regardless if it's the smart thing to do or not, how do i tell my baby sister she isn't real? And expect her not to go crazy, especially before she's old enough to drive.

I do understand that it wouldn't be easy to tell the sister that you love that she's actually a ball of energy, but with Joyce's help and maybe Giles, Dawn could be told in a calm and loving way, and told she is still loved, and will be, no matter what. I think there is something fairer in being honest then hiding the truth from her and treating her like someone who is not able to handle the information.

Riderofapocalypse

Potential
I do understand that it wouldn't be easy to tell the sister that you love that she's actually a ball of energy, but with Joyce's help and maybe Giles, Dawn could be told in a calm and loving way, and told she is still loved, and will be, no matter what. I think there is something fairer in being honest then hiding the truth from her and treating her like someone who is not able to handle the information.

understandable, but unless my memory is wrong, Dawn wasn't able to handle the truth.

Priceless

Scooby
understandable, but unless my memory is wrong, Dawn wasn't able to handle the truth.

But that's partly because she wasn't told in the proper way, she discovered it by accident. That is one of the reasons I think it would have been better to tell her straight away, so she knew nothing was being hidden from her, and she was loved and respected enough to be told the truth

Riderofapocalypse

Potential
didn't buffy/joyce tell her that stuff afterwards anyways? and she still acted out and became a clepto for a while? My memory is fuzzy, so correct me if i'm wrong.

Priceless

Scooby
didn't buffy/joyce tell her that stuff afterwards anyways? and she still acted out and became a clepto for a while? My memory is fuzzy, so correct me if i'm wrong.

I think you are thinking more about Season 6, when Dawn did become a clepto, but mainly as a reaction to Buffys depression (I think). She did act out when she found out about her being the Key, but I think that would have been lessened if she's learnt the truth in a much more loving organised way

GoSpuffy

Vampire Lover, I mean Slayer
Black Thorn
I agree, I would have told her right away. It would have been way easier to deal with. Of course the easy way was seldom chosen by anyone on BtVS.

Priceless
Priceless
Very true

Sternbeeere

Glory´s sane(?) groupie
1. I do not think Dawns reaction when she discovered she is the key was immature, it just was sudden, accidental and she drew some conclusions on her own, which many would have drawn, that lead her to an emotional breakdown.
2. Therefore I think telling her right away would be better, since the emotional breakdown and the confrontation with Glory both would have been avoided. The point is of course how to tell her, what to stress. If they all told her, she is very special and how everyone loves her, and is glad that she is there and that she is their sister/friend/relative regardless of what she is, the bond between them and Dawn would be even closer and Dawn would understand some of Buffys behaviours.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I dont think it would have been safe to tell Dawn something that large, until she had more of an understanding of it. Dawn found out herself (with spike) and had she followed the rules things may have been different. But I do think Spike was the best one to break it to her at that point - and better yet him not knowing himself. His response was genuine and he treated her well - not babied or pampered. Yep, she did act out - but it could have been far worse than that (a 14 yr old who's banned from a phone/net would probably have a bigger fit). And she quickly understood the gravity of the situation.

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
I don't think they should have told her right away. However, I do think they should have been a lot more careful when and where they were talking about it! Like dang.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
I love No Place Like Home and I wouldn't change it for the world. I think Dawn finding out on her own was a pivotal moment for her, and afterwards she does come to realise that her true identity was kept from her because she was loved, even if she wasn't real and hadn't always been there. I think it would have felt quite clinical if she were told right away what she was. It's big news for Buffy too - if I were in the same situation, yeah, I'd speak to my peers first too, not to be untruthful but to try to understand and to be sure no one would hurt my sister for what she was (or wasn't) - something Buffy truly understands being the Slayer. I don't see it as one of those annoying episodes/arcs where no one is being honest (or even talking) and then the lack of communication blows up in their face (Dead Man's Party, I'm looking at you), it felt natural and gave the characters real growth. Buffy needed that shock.

Buffy's need to protect Dawn went deeper than sisterly or even motherly duty, Buffy saw Dawn part of as herself, the monks made Dawn out of Buffy. No matter what she tried to shield from Dawn, the end result would always be the same, that she'd have to save one part of herself from the other.

Top Bottom