• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Xander’s Reaction to Buffy’s Sexy Dance

MissChristina

👱🏻‍♀️👩🏻‍🦰🧑🏻👨🏼‍🏫
I’ve watched this episode a dozen times (When She Was Bad S02E01) and I’m still fuzzy on interpretation: What is Xander’s reaction during Buffy’s sexy dance?

I’m looking at his face and body language (he pretty much stops dancing and stands there while Buffy uses him as a pole), but:

Is he confused?
Is he aroused?
Is he enjoying it?
Is he insulted?
Is he angry?
Is he frustrated? By what was happening and/or Buffy’s overall attitude/behavior?
Does he want her to stop? Don’t stop?

WillowFromBuffy

Buffering...
He is conflicted, because he is getting what he has dreamed about, but he realises quickly that Buffy is just toying with him.

What Buffy does is kinda cruel, but you also have to respect it as one of the greatest power moves on the show.

The fact that people still refer to it as "Buffy's sexy dance".. Its like someone took the shows innocence and locked it in a time capsule.

Xander pulls a stunned mullet because the problem with wanting things is that sometimes you get them.

A
AlphaFoxtrot
Actually, it was fairly tame for turn of the millennium standards as well.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I'd say its a mix of WTF is going on and being aroused? I think he is so much in the moment that the thought of making her stop never really crossed his mind.

MissChristina
MissChristina
Yeah, that’s how I see it too, mix of Wtf and arousal. But I think I also see some anger...?

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
I’ve watched this episode a dozen times (When She Was Bad S02E01) and I’m still fuzzy on interpretation: What is Xander’s reaction during Buffy’s sexy dance?

I’m looking at his face and body language (he pretty much stops dancing and stands there while Buffy uses him as a pole), but:

Is he confused?
Is he aroused?
Is he enjoying it?
Is he insulted?
Is he angry?
Is he frustrated? By what was happening and/or Buffy’s overall attitude/behavior?
Does he want her to stop? Don’t stop?
I also feel like it is all of the above. Like conflicted, but happy because finally, but also mad because it's not real, frustrated because she's using him… lol, the whole shebang.
From his body language though I interpret that he'd rather she stop, because he knows its a lie.

The fact that people still refer to it as "Buffy's sexy dance".. Its like someone took the shows innocence and locked it in a time capsule.
Nitpicking on how people phrase things is a rather unpleasant practice. If you object to the phrase "sexy dance" you could've said something about the dance per se and what you'd rather call it, rather then condescend to another member.

MissChristina
MissChristina
Thanks for defending! Ironically, I picked up the term “Buffy’s sexy dance” on this board. If the guy is a word or phrase police, he’s on the wrong Buffy Board!

MissChristina

👱🏻‍♀️👩🏻‍🦰🧑🏻👨🏼‍🏫
From his body language though I interpret that he'd rather she stop, because he knows its a lie.
Hmm, I really like this interpretation! I re-watched “Bewitched Bothered Bewildered” (S02E16) last night, and was reminded that Xander wanted Buffy to stop her romantic advances in this episode because it was a lie, I think this makes the most sense. Thanks!

Top Bottom