• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Xander and Cordelia: A Believable Romance?

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
If you look at the characters in season one, would you have thought about them being together? Was it believable that they would both change so much that they got together and were together for around a year?

Priceless

Scooby
I think that at 17/18 years old you are changeable and open to things that perhaps you wouldn't be at 25 or 30. Their personalities were similar and there was undoubted sexual attraction between them, so in that sense it was believable. Working together changed their opinions of each other and bought them closer and gave them more of an understanding of the other.

I do wonder that if Willow hadn't discovered their secret romance, it would have burnt out without anyone knowing. But once it was out in the open, there was a pressure on them both to try and make it work and make it about more than sexual attraction. I think that openness had more of an affect on Cordelia than Xander.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
Cordelia's attraction to Xander was always kind of unbelievable to me which is reinforced by her saying that she only started noticing Xander after Buffy's coolness rubbed off on him. Maybe this is reinforced by the fact that Cordy and Xander never had sex even though I'm sure Xander wanted to and Cordelia seems like she's had sex before but maybe not to be fair. Basically Cordelia's romantic interest in Xander always seemed fragile so I buy it for a short time fling but not as a serious relationship. As a fling it was great to watch.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
In season 1, no, I didn't think they were in the cards but I think that's also because it is such a short season that their interactions aren't that many and because Jesse initially is very interested in Cordelia (I know its just the pilot but since it is the introduction to the characters Xander doesn't really materialize as a romantic interest since that focus is placed on someone else).

I do find the season 2 romance believable though, they start interacting more and there is chemistry, I kind of think of it as a hormone-based experiment. You have this person you're spending more time with, pretty much on a daily basis, they're attractive, you're kind of playing with the idea, then once that first tension is broken with a kiss it's pretty easy to do it again. I agree with @Priceless though that it is possible it would've just burnt out if they hadn't been caught. Then it became more a relationship and not just snogging in the broomcloset. :p

I do think Cordy was attracted to Xander but that she was afraid of getting hurt, she wears the necklace he gave her even after their break-up in Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered (as evidenced that she obliquely takes it off when he asks for it back). She was more romantically experienced than him, but that also means that she had been hurt in the past (guys dating her just because she's popular / college guys trying to take advantage of her / guy she was serious about horribly dying) and was prone to be more cautious.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Yeah I believed it. We were shown quite early on that Cordelia had more about her than she let on. Wealth and power made her act awfully but she wasn't blind to Xanders good qualities. There was an attraction between them so I'm not surprised it was explored.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
I believe that they had some underlying sexual tension building up throughout the years, but them being afraid of going for it because of coming from 2 different worlds. I think that Buffy's arrival eased them into getting together.

AstridDante

Potential
I didn’t completely buy their relationship. I preferred the connection he had with Willow in earlier seasons and the little crush she had on him.

thrasherpix

Scooby
While I may (mildly) enjoy a ship on the series, I generally find how they start and end a bit too unbelievable, and just feel like they're transplanted (with a little tweaking) from other movies, like when Xander and Cordelia kissing in the basement makes me think of that Venice kissing scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Really, how it starts AND how it ends (plus him cheating with his lesbian best friend who his dating Oz at the time) is the hard part to swallow.

But that aside, I can see the appeal. He was one person she didn't have to put on a show for, one she could relax and show her true self around, to not feel so alone as she told Buffy that she felt in season 1 that she felt when surrounded by people because they don't know who she really is. 'Course, the hot abs she drooled over in Go Fish would help.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
This ship reminds me of Naomi&Max from 90210.

Cohen
Cohen
Naomi and Max were more believable! Annalynne McCord championed a Naomi/Max endgame.

Buffyfan69

Townie
Cordelia's attraction to Xander was always kind of unbelievable to me which is reinforced by her saying that she only started noticing Xander after Buffy's coolness rubbed off on him. Maybe this is reinforced by the fact that Cordy and Xander never had sex even though I'm sure Xander wanted to and Cordelia seems like she's had sex before but maybe not to be fair. Basically Cordelia's romantic interest in Xander always seemed fragile so I buy it for a short time fling but not as a serious relationship. As a fling it was great to watch.
In Innocence, Xander tells Cordelia that he's only 17 (but by the time of The Zeppo he's already turned 18 and loses his virginity to Faith). In California Law, 18 is considered the age of consent and the legal age to have sex (Cordy Chase is a month older than Xander Harris). Which might explain why Cordy and Xander never had sex whiles they were dating (unlike Buffy/Angel and Willow/Oz (late S3, though in Amends Oz tells Willow that "he's already had sex"), Giles and Jenny may have done it off-screen (months before her death at the hands of Angelus)).

Reason: Minor change
Last edited:

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'm not up for watching it now, but didn't Cordelia...wait, found it on a transcript:

Xander: Well, I guess that makes it official. Everybody's paired off. Vampires get dates. Hell, even the school librarian sees more action than me. You ever think that the world is a giant game of musical chairs, and the music's stopped and we're the only ones who don't have a chair?

Willow: All the time.

Cordelia: Xander? I just wanted to thank you for saving my life. What you did in there was really brave and heroic, and I just wanted to tell you if there was anything that I could ever do to...

Xander: Do you mind? We're talking here.

Cordelia is taken aback, rolls her eyes and leaves.

Xander: So where were we?

Willow: Wondering why we never get dates.

Xander: Yeah, so why do you think that is?

Read more at: 02x02 - Some Assembly Required - Buffy the Vampire Slayer Transcripts - Forever Dreaming

Doesn't necessarily man she was attracted to him right then, but she was clearly seeing him in a different light than before for very understandable reasons.

Top Bottom