• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Xander and Dawn: A Sweet Deal?

nightshade

I don't understand your definition of good news
Staff member
Black Thorn
So there's been a lot of theories about Xander summoning Sweet or just taking the blame for Dawn. What do you think, and why would he cover for her and potentially go to Hell when he's about to get married?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I think there's a bit in S7 'Selfless' which deliberately/specifically showed Xander summoning Sweet right before Anya starts singing 'His Mrs'. He did it in his sleep whilst clutching the amulet. which seems like a deliberate attempt to insulate him from any blame from the previous season. 'whoops, I accidentally summoned this thing that makes people dance till they burn, but I was dreamin' so its okay'. I don't buy it but I'm pretty sure its supposed to be canon.

Dawn summoning Sweet makes much more sense in the episode, given that she doesn't actually sing a revealing song the way Xander does, but S6 often took some sloppy writing decisions with character for the service of an episode or so.

Black Thorn
I didn’t think it was either of them, as Sweet could have got them to tell him the truth. The only other way is that it was an accident and they didn’t realise.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Also why would Xander go to bed clutching an amulet?

I think the writers realised fans didn't buy the "twist" that it was Xander rather than Dawn, and were trying to cover themselves by going "see it was him and he didn't realise until after the "I've got a theory" song so it wasn't a plot hole! Happy now?"

spikenbuffy

"The big bad is back, and you will aaaggggg"
It's Xander who did it, Dawn just stole it just like everything she steal in that season in the magic box. I think Xander just wanted to release his fears about marriage in singing truth.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Xander knows better than to mess with the magicks. I doubt he even speaks Latin to the books anymore. He seemed the most concerned about Willow's overuse of magic. So no, I don't buy that he summoned him.

Frankly, I don't think Sweet (who had an awesome actor) did, either, but it seems that one mortal can willingly replace themselves with another mortal and the demons have to abide by that, so he just let it go.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
Xander knows better than to mess with the magicks. I doubt he even speaks Latin to the books anymore. He seemed the most concerned about Willow's overuse of magic. So no, I don't buy that he summoned him.

Frankly, I don't think Sweet (who had an awesome actor) did, either, but it seems that one mortal can willingly replace themselves with another mortal and the demons have to abide by that, so he just let it go.
I always found that to be strange.

Black Thorn
Thinking about it now, I think neither of them did it (or think they did it). Xander just thought he could cover for her, so both Sweet will let her go and she won't get a telling off from Giles or Buffy.

Top Bottom