Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
- Apr 12, 2019
- all around
This season was high in romance angst and there are some ambiguities for me regarding some of Xander's responses/scenes. So, here are a few questions about your interpretation of some scenes/episodes:
- Why does Xander complain so much about Oz in Phases? Is he being protective of Willow? Or does he feel threatened by the idea of Oz becoming important in Willow’s life? I don’t know, taking away her attention? Or taking away her friendship?
- What’s up with the scene between Xander and Buffy after they dust Theresa (also in Phases)? It’s the first and only scene where I see something more between them (for a second, it looks like they are about to kiss) and it seems to be driven by Buffy. Is she seeking solace for a minute and then decides otherwise?
- The scene between Xander and Willow in the hospital at the beginning of Becoming II also has me intrigued. Does it have an ambiguous meaning (friendship vs romantic) when Xander tells her that he loves her and she wakes up and asks for Oz? Or am I miss-reading it?
- Did Xander ever care for Coderlia? I just don’t see it and I think that she doesn’t see it either. He’s more than ready to move on with Buffy in BBB before realizing that it was the spell and after they get back together, he keeps pining for Buffy and acting jealous of Oz.
- Do you think that Xander and Willow should have talked about her finally saying something regarding her feelings for him in Surprise? It feels that it was swept under the rug and, of course, it will come back in S3.