• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Xander instead of Cordelia on Angel could it have worked ?

Btvs fan

Scooby
My guess is because you referred to Cordelia as a "cartoon character" and that "She was only on the show because Greenwalt was a fan and pushed for her."

Tell you what; you bring your Cordelia drum, I'll bring my Kennedy drum, someone else can bring their Connor drum and we can start a band. We'll be the " I hate Cordorennedy drummers" (working title). :p
Maybe it came out wrong. I am a fan of the character but for the Cartoon description,
On Buffy certainly for the first season she kind of was. Even Joss calls her that on the DVD commentary. She develops in S2 then in S3 they press the reset button after the Xander breakup up until the Prom, where she'd go back to normal developed Cordy. Though until that point she'd show up and say an insult then leave. Ironically Spike, who was brought in as the Cordy replacement, would be a bit similar in S4 "can I borrow a cup of coffee and insult you" . Ie the writers don't know what to do with a character so they just show up an say a witty line then exit stage left.
On Ats she then develops into a great character (until S4 anyway) and I love her on that.
I think (unintentionally) the best thing to happen to the character was Glenn Quinn getting fired as they moved her into his role with Angel.

I'm also glad that we got Your Welcome as it least it let the character go with Dignity rather than just left in a coma ala S4

famicommander

Potential
For me Cordelia is the heart of the first three seasons of Angel.

I think even back on Buffy Angel has some kind of affection for Cordelia; he's not visibly annoyed or repelled by her like many of the other Scoobies are at one point or another. I think he sees Cordelia on Buffy the same way that Riley sees Dawn.

Xander's character needs to be on Buffy because he's the well meaning "everyman" with some bad tendencies that usually comes through in the end. He needs to react to the larger than life threats as the most grounded character, and as the only young male in the cast for much of the series sometimes it's necessary to process Buffy and Willow's actions through Xander's lens.

Tank1978

Scooby
My guess is because you referred to Cordelia as a "cartoon character" and that "She was only on the show because Greenwalt was a fan and pushed for her."

Tell you what; you bring your Cordelia drum, I'll bring my Kennedy drum, someone else can bring their Connor drum and we can start a band. We'll be the " I hate Cordorennedy drummers" (working title). :p
I'll bring my Rona drum 😂

DagonSphere

Potential
I mean, the writers made Wesley and Spike work on Angel, even though theoretically they did not fit in there either. With great writing, they can accomplish anything. That being said, the whole point of having Cordelia on the show was to have a bright face that gives the writers a very different character to interact with Angel and provide much-needed energy. Xander had too much of a toxic history with Angel and there was really no point why he would move to Los Angeles. Cordelia on the other hand mentioned in the pilot of Buffy that she loved LA, and her wanting to become an actress made sense.

And regarding the bro show, I mean, Angel was a male-centric show to begin with. They only had two female leads over five seasons; and all female characters died.It did not seem to be a problem for Supernatural either to only have dudes in their cast. That being said, I'm sure Charisma Carpenter was also added to the cast to draw in male viewers.

darkspook

Potential
There is a pretty old fanfiction where Xander becomes the Seer instead of Cordelia after Doyle is killed. He goes to LA is saved by Angel after nearly being killed and stays there becoming Angel's link to the Powers at be. It has a couple of sequel fics and is pretty well written plus in character for example Xander whining about getting visions from the Powers when he is in a position to embarrass himself.

As DagonSphere said with great writing, they can accomplish anything (I don't think too many of us would have suggest Wesley as joining the group mid season). Given Xander was an extra during season 4 I think spinning him off would have been a good idea. Angel tv series did seem to be better on the character development front (Wesley, Cordelia, Fred etc) than Buffy tv show was.

Faded90

Scooby
I think I might have even bought Xander/Angel more than Cangel

AstridDante

Potential
I couldn’t really see a place for Xander in on Angel or fitting in amongst his team. He had a very particular role that he served amongst the scoobies, he was the everyman, the humanity and compassion of the group, I couldn’t imagine the scoobies without him

darkspook

Potential
I couldn’t really see a place for Xander in on Angel or fitting in amongst his team. He had a very particular role that he served amongst the scoobies, he was the everyman, the humanity and compassion of the group, I couldn’t imagine the scoobies without him
Watch Season 4 and much of season 6... he is pretty much not doing anything so you can see what the scoobies are like without him.

AstridDante

Potential
Watch Season 4 and much of season 6... he is pretty much not doing anything so you can see what the scoobies are like without him.
Ya I know he doesn’t do anything flashy but in Season 6 it is his compassion and humanity that connects with Dark Willow and brings her back from the brink. Similarly I love his friendship moment with Buffy in Seeing Red where they make up, it really shows how important he is to her and to the group

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
I don’t think that Xander would have worked out. Cordelia is an amazing character in AtS. She grows and matures in a lovely way. Her character is also an anchor for the rest of the cast (at least up to S3, I haven’t finished the show). She is self-confident and determined, a lady-boss who inspires awe, respect and admiration. I also think that the fact that she is a woman (despite having a bitca inside her ;), which I love too) brings a lot of warm to the team, especially in a time period where gender roles were very important. Xander might bring something different, but I don’t see him acting as the heart of this team as Cordelia does here and as he does in BtVS.

I also think that the balance is great. Cordelia (pre-Fred taking a bigger role) is the female touch in AtS. And Xander plays similar but reverse role in S5-S7, the male touch in a heavily female cast.

Good god Angel the Series is enough of a sausage fest already without removing one of it's very few female characters and swapping her out for yet another peen.

But I don't see what he could have possibly brought to the show. He doesn't like Angel. He doesn't like Wesley. I don't think he would have liked Doyle - I think he would have reacted badly to the similarities in their personalities due to his own insecurities... and Doyle isn't so much of a saint that he'll just lie down like a doormat and take his crap - if Xander was a d*ck to him he would be a d*ck right back.

So Angel and Doyle would be friends - and then Angel and Wesley would be friends ... and Xander would just be there. Not contributing. He wouldn't have had Cordelia's drive and determination to turn the mission into a business, he doesn't offer knowledge (like Wes) or power (Doyle's visions). There is literally nothing for him to do.

Xander works on Buffy, Cordelia works on Angel - they are the minority sex within their respective friendship groups and their roles and place within the group reflect that. It's part of their character dynamic, so they can't be interchangeable. They would just get lost among the same sex ensemble of the other show. Xander could never be the heart of AI and Cordy could not be the heart of the scoobies - it's their minority status that makes them standout and gives them a uniqueness, perspective and purpose among their more powerful friends. Take that away by keeping Cordy on the girl's show and putting Xander in with the boys and they just become a face in the crowd overshadowed by the superheroes and geniuses.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
In "School Hard", Angel gets Xander in a headlock and the following exchange happens:

Xander: I knew you were lying. Angel gives Xander a squeeze to shut him up.
Xander: Undead liar guy. Angel grabs him by the hair and shirt and holds up his exposed neck.
Angel: Wanna bite before we kill her?

He has trapped Xander and is offering him to Spike.

Spike: (holds up his hand) Don't be silly! We're all friends. We'll do it together. Let's drink to it. They both slowly lean in to Xander's neck. At the last moment Spike punches Angel in the face, making him stagger back.
Spike: You think you can fool me?! You were my sire, man! You were my... Yoda!

When Xander objects, Angel later says:

Xander: So, when you gave him my neck to chew on, why didn't you clock him before he had a chance to clock you?
Angel: I told you. I couldn't make the first move. I had to see if he was buying it or not.
Xander: A-and if he bit me, what then?
Angel: We would've known he bought it.

I doubt anyone gets over this level of PTSD. Xander is a model of restraint later when Angel returns from the hell dimension and offers his services to the scoobies. But I doubt he would ever team up with someone with such a dedication to the expedient choice rather than the moral choice. And as we see, Angel is not always on the side of good but he always thinks he knows more than he actually does and that is the reason no human survives employment at Angel Investigations. In answer to the thread title, it couldn't have worked because it couldn't have happened.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I could see Xander going over post Hell's Bells. A downbeat Xander going to LA to start over, coming into Angel season 3.

Top Bottom