• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Xander Instead Of Kennedy?

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
What if instead of Willow getting with Kennedy she and Xander had got together? They had been together as children, has a brief fling in season 3, and were both available in season 7. What are you thoughts?

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
I think the Willow and Xander fling kind of felt like a fever dream by season 7 it came out of nowhere and then just went so I'd rather Buffy and Xander as a couple by season 7.

Cohen

Hellhound
I think by season 7, it's pretty clearly established that Willow is gay. I know that some fans like to think of her as bisexual. As a gay man, I had girlfriends that I loved before I came out, but in the long run, it never would have worked because I am gay. While Kennedy is an absolute nuisance, I would have personally preferred Willow be single and learning to be okay as Willow than have been in a relationship by the end of the show. Also, Xanya should have never broken up. That was a stupid writer mistake. Xander and Anya obviously loved each other deeply, and while I understood Xander's not wanting to be married yet, as he hadn't fully grown up, I wish they would have found a way to keep those two looney lovebirds together.

Cohen

Hellhound
Willow and Kennedy were really good together.
Were they really that good together? My perspective is that their "relationship" was still really new by the time the series ended. While I appreciate that Kennedy served as Willow's anchor in the Chosen spell, I don't really think we saw them enough as a couple to say they were good. Kennedy was so infatuated with her, I don't think she truly knew who Willow was. And while Willow was clearly interested in Kennedy, I think she still felt that connection with Tara. Which, if we include seasons 8-9 in as canon (some people who haven't seen the comics do not), we know that their relationship couldn't stand the test of time (and Willow's cheating).

LemonBanana

Glorious Purpose
Sineya
I don't think Willow and Xander would have been a fail, but it would have been nice to get rid of Kennedy! Or perhaps make Kennedy a bit more of a likeable person!

Cohen
Cohen
Iyari is a wonderful actress. The source material definitely messed up that character.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I think the main obstacle to that is Xander needing real resolution/closure with Anya. They were together for a long time and that needed to be acknowledged. I don't see Xander getting into any new relationships, especially one with his still-grieving best friend.

Also getting them together in the finale would cast the events of the end of S6 in a different light wouldn't it? The man saves the crazy lesbian from ending the world with his man-love and then, as some sort of reward, he gets her into the bargain, converting her back to the ways of heterosexuality after her wayward years...
I don't like that interpretation at all, and that's certainly how it would've been seen by many. As it stands I love that Xander and Willow are best friends who had a confusing dalliance in high school but are much better off as family.

From Willow's pov I don't really see her needing a love interest after the brutal loss of Tara but if she had to have one then it should be with a woman. I think the writers were clear in their intent to show that Willow had found her 'true self' with Tara. Regressing so soon after her death would not have gone down well with a large section of the fandom.
Although some other female character other than Kennedy would've been preferable.

Cohen
Cohen
This. So very much this.
wolfpuppy
wolfpuppy
I agree with all of this. The only question is, if not Kennedy, who?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I would have personally preferred Willow be single and learning to be okay as Willow than have been in a relationship by the end of the show.

Agreed. Willow was clearly still grieving Tara and it would've been nicer if Season 7 had been her dealing with her grieve and ending it with her feeling ready to move on. Instead we got Kennedy imposing herself on Willow, not taking no for an answer, then eventually browbeating Willow into submission.

Although some other female character other than Kennedy would've been preferable.

Fred was a popular choice and they had more chemistry and more in common (whilst being different from Tara) than Willow and Kennedy did.

wolfpuppy

Townie
I have read that Joss said if Tara hadn't have died he'd have put Willow with a man in season 7. Who else could it have been but Xander? Wood is the only other viable option and I don't see that working.
I would've objected to Willow going back to stick since she said repeatedly she was gay, even thought I generally think she was bisexual oriented but identified as a lesbian - I've known women who had that same situation. But putting Willow back with a man after Tara's death would've just drawn more attention to the fair criticism of Tara's death as "bury your gays" and the tragic lesbian tropes.

Cohen
Cohen
Interesting that’s the first I’ve seen about Whedon.
thetopher
thetopher
Faith or Fred are popular ship choices for S7 Willow.

AstridDante

Potential
I did like their little fling in Season 3 but I think that’s because I am a sucker for friends to lovers trope but as the seasons went on and the place they were in at Season 7, I couldn’t see it happening at all. I think their friendship was too important. I feel the same about Buffy and Xander, bffs only

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I saw the original broadcast of "Grave," and frankly, that's what I thought. "Grave," of course, being Xander's Crowning Moment of Awesome, with the only thing coming close is his defense of Buffy in "Killed By Death." If I remember the rumor Mill correctly, the Lesbian fanbase raised hell over it, and that's the reason Kennedy gets dropped in, and Willow and Xanders only hug in the season is when Willow was played by Warren, and why Xander has so little to do in the season. Now, keep in mind, rumors, I'm not going to vouch for them, other than as fan theories of 2002. I don't think Joss fully appreciated what he had created with Willow and Tara.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Doing it again in S7 would have felt forced. Kennedy has grown me a little bit on further watches. A better way to have gone about her relationship with Willow would have been to have had them starting to date come the end of the show. That way it shows Willow starting to get back in that head space moving forward without seeming rushed.

r2dh2
r2dh2
Yeah, I liked a lot Kennedy some times during re-watches. For instance, there's the scene were Rona is complaining about fighting the bringers and Kennedy's response is perfect.

Cohen

Hellhound
I agree. The whole thing felt incredibly rushed. Part of this has to do with the rush of the end of the season. The pacing after 7x10 BOTN was incredibly rushed, and it affected the relationship development of Killow.

heckate

Townie
I don't like Willow with Kennedy but I would be furious if she ended up with Xander. Being with Xander romantically has always been regarded as a mistake in the series, and kind of Willow's worst moment prior to her magic addiction. And getting over Xander is what it took for her to really grow. The message would be very topsy-turvey if the fling with Xander ended up right all along! And Willow likes to date people who kinda worship her (as Tara and Oz did), and Xander likes to date people who kinda disrespect him (like Cordy and Anya). But Willow grew up worshipping Xander and Xander never quite respected Willow, at least not in that way, so it just wouldn't work.

And on top of all that -- Willow is a gay woman. I know Joss has said he woulda made her bi if the show was made nowadays, but as it is she's pretty adamantly gay, and I don't think the show could ever recover from the backlash realistically if they killed off a beloved lesbian only to replace her with a pretty comparatively douchey straight man who only last season left his fiancé at the altar. It woulda hurt some of us a lot!

I don't know if she should have gotten with anyone in S7, considering how rushed it all was. But may I posit: If Tara's not an option, Willow shoulda ended up with Faith. 🤷‍♀️

r2dh2
r2dh2
I mostly agree, except for the Faith part. I don't see them working as a couple.
Priceless
Priceless
I've always liked Willow/Faith, though not sure they could have written it convincingly enough to work

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I don't think Will was an obligate homosexual during seasons 3-6. I agree she was written that way in Season 7, but her attraction to Xander and Giles was genuine, as was her relationship with Oz. Also, she's a fictional character with no inner life. She can be anything the creators want her to be.

Top Bottom