• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Xander's chemistry with vampires

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Do you think Xander had chemistry with vampires. I'm thinking mostly of Drusilla, Angel/Angelus, and Spike. We see Xander interact with Drusilla in Bewitched, bothered and bewildered, so yes she was under the spell.

Angelus and Xander in the hospital.

Of course Xander interacted with both Angel and Spike frequently throughout the show.

sosa lola
sosa lola
I love the title!!! That's the name of my next fanfic!!!
If you mean romantic/sexual chemistry, then I'd say no, not even with Vampire Willow (though Vampire Xander DID have chemistry with Vampire Willow).

Though I can't help but remember the scene of Xander describing how desirable Spike was to Buffy in trying to say he understood why she was with him (to which she said she wasn't having sex with Spike but was starting to think he was).

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Good name for a weird show: 'Xander's Chemistry With Vampires'
'Today Xander and Drusilla find out what happens if you mix hydrogen peroxide with potassium iodide. Drusilla wants to play a prank of Spike...'

As for actual chemistry, I think what people are actually seeing is vulnerability/fearful but being brave in those Xander/Drusilla and Xander/Angelus situations, not sexual chemistry.
Xander/Spike is subtly different because the dynamic is more equal. I'd say more comic/snarky banter from those two, which is its own kind of chemistry.

Taake

Not a witch
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think he had a generally pronounced antipathy towards vampires that he couldn't suppress, I think this accounts for a lot of the tension between him and vampires on the show, which is a sort of chemistry. I mean, Angel and Holtz have a sort of chemistry as well.

I think it makes for an interesting dynamic that comes across well on the screen, especially when it comes to vampires we're supposed to like - like Angel and Spike. Viewers may take umbrage with Xander's attitude towards them, but in a very human sense, he is the voice of reason who consistently reminds of that they are, or were, evil beings once upon a time.

@Taake
Viewers may take umbrage with Xander's attitude towards them, but in a very human sense, he is the voice of reason who consistently reminds of that they are, or were, evil beings once upon a time.
Do you mind if I start a thread about Xander using this quote? You've sparked something (possibly controversial) in my brain - but I don't want to use your words without your permission. Thanks.

Taake
Taake
Go ahead :)
Xander hated Vampires and help Buffy kill many, Buffy stopped him killing Spike twice in S6 and he wanted both Faith and Buffy to kill Angel, S2 and 3
Xander would do anything for Buffy and knew Buffy being with vampires was only going to cause her more problems they were not for long run , he loved Buffy and had to live with the fact she would always only love him as a friend

Top Bottom