• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Yes, we can! A plan for achieving our goals!

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
This is a thread for you to set and share a goal in your life and be held accountable for it. The rules are the following:

1. Set a broad goal: For instance, lose weight, be more social, adopt a pet, finish a project.
2. Narrow the goal to something specific and add a time frame: "lose X kilos in 3 months," or "fit comfortable into my clothes in 2 months."
3. Break the goal into tasks need to achieve it: Exercise daily and eat healthy.
4. Detail each task:
  1. Task1: do spinning 40 minutes per day at least 5 days a week
  2. Task 2: No more pizzas during the next 3 months and have a salad for dinner 3-4 days per week.
  3. Task 3: Limit alcohol consumption to reduce calories, i.e. drink only during weekends and in moderation.
5. Report progress: "I haven’t weighted myself yet, but my jeans are feeling more comfortable,” or “I lost 3 pounds during week 1.”
6. Be accountable: If you commit to a goal, I commit to check on you every week. I already spend a lot of time in the BB. For instance: “This is the end of week 1: how many days have you done spinning? For how long? What have you eaten during dinner time? Are you limiting your alcohol consumption?”
7. Communicate changes in goals/schedule: “I got sick, so this week I won’t work out,” or “There’s a lot of going on in my life, I’ll have to postpone it for a couple of weeks,” or “I rather not to disclose it publicly but it’s going great,” or “I’m sick and tired of you nagging me, so you are fired.”
8. I’ll communicate if there’s a change in my schedule: “I’m traveling so I cannot check on you guys,” or “I’m drowning in work, give me a couple of weeks to get back into the schedule but keep up the work.”

Of course, you can do it yourself without all the nagging, but I’ve learnt that the process described above often works for achieving our goals. If you are game, I’ll be too. Even if you don't want to participate publicly, take it as a suggestion :D.

@nightshade @HerrMister @Puppet @genghiskhan

Octavia
Octavia
Where are you?

HerrMister

Townie
I'm signing up! But I hate weighting myself, I'll be somewhat vague with some goals.

1. Set a broad goal: Recover my weight from 4 years ago.
2. Narrow the goal to something specific and add a time frame: I'm visiting my parents for the summer and I already started, then I'll be vague here too. I want to fit into my clothes by the end of August, even if they aren't completely form fitting at first.
3. Break the goal into tasks need to achieve it: Exercise weekly and keep up with new eating habits.
4. Detail each task:
  1. Task1: I'm already using an elliptical trainer 5 to 6 days per week for 1 hr every day. My minimum goal is 4 days per week, in case something comes across during some weeks.
  2. Task 2: I have eliminated dinner, I'm only eating cereal. And I'm eating a lot of veggies during lunch.
5. Report progress: Started!
6. Be accountable: Can we get the reminders on Sunday evening? That way I can plan my week after making a list my achievements or my lack of achievements.
7. Communicate changes in goals/schedule: Will do, I have a trip or two planned, I'll add it to the schedule
8. I’ll communicate if there’s a change in my schedule: Yay

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
1. Set a broad goal: Lose weight
2. Narrow the goal to something specific and add a time frame: reduce stomach, by the end of the year
3. Break the goal into tasks need to achieve it: Exercise daily and eat healthy.
4. Detail each task:
  1. Task1: Do at least 3 miles on the bike 3 times a week
  2. Task 2: Eat more protein to fill less hungry
  3. Task 3: Drink more water
I'm also posting in this thread: More exercise and more support.

Last edited:

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
1. Set a broad goal: Gain weight. I need to hit a BMI of about 18 or higher to be considered healthy. I'm 5'10, so for me that's about 125 pounds! My current weight is about 114 pounds, putting me at BMI 16.5, which is seriously underweight.
2. Narrow the goal to something specific and add a time frame: Gain 10 pounds, in 4-6 weeks.
3. Break the goal into tasks need to achieve it: Eat my ENTIRE meal plan, around 3000 calories a day, resist compulsive exercising, and don't use eating disorder behavior.
4. Detail each task:
  1. Task1: Consume around 3000 calories a day, with plenty of healthy fats, carbs, and proteins. Stick to my meal plan.
  2. Task 2: Don't use anorexic behaviors, such as compulsive exercise, hiding food, restricting, and trying to consume fewer calories than needed.
  3. Task 3: Attend therapy sessions, so you don't relapse and lose weight. Also attend doctor's appointments, and get weighed/ get your blood drawn at least every week.

SuperGirl80
SuperGirl80
Out of curiosity, could you share an example of a daily meal? I'm wondering how much and what type of food has been recommended for a healthy weight gain.

Name the Stars

Black Thorn
I'm signing up! But I hate weighting myself, I'll be somewhat vague with some goals.

1. Set a broad goal: Recover my weight from 4 years ago.
2. Narrow the goal to something specific and add a time frame: I'm visiting my parents for the summer and I already started, then I'll be vague here too. I want to fit into my clothes by the end of August, even if they aren't completely form fitting at first.
3. Break the goal into tasks need to achieve it: Exercise weekly and keep up with new eating habits.
4. Detail each task:
  1. Task1: I'm already using an elliptical trainer 5 to 6 days per week for 1 hr every day. My minimum goal is 4 days per week, in case something comes across during some weeks.
  2. Task 2: I have eliminated dinner, I'm only eating cereal. And I'm eating a lot of veggies during lunch.
5. Report progress: Started!
6. Be accountable: Can we get the reminders on Sunday evening? That way I can plan my week after making a list my achievements or my lack of achievements.
7. Communicate changes in goals/schedule: Will do, I have a trip or two planned, I'll add it to the schedule
8. I’ll communicate if there’s a change in my schedule: Yay
I hate to be a critic, but be careful about eliminating meals, and restricting. I know that you are trying to lose weight, but eating full meals that aren't just cereal will actually help you in the long run.

buffetier

Townie
Great Idea! I recently had a baby and I'm struggling with my reading routine.

1. Set a broad goal: Read a book
2. Narrow the goal to something specific and add a time frame: Choose a medium size and easy-going book to ease back into reading. Finish the book in 1.5 months.
3. Break the goal into tasks need to achieve it: Read 5 to 10 pages.
4. Detail each task:
  1. Task1: Read while my baby sleeps or try to read while breastfeeding.
  2. Task 2: Read at least 4 days per week.
5. Report progress: Looking for a book
6. Be accountable: Reminders would be great.
7. Communicate changes in goals/schedule: Hopefully the little one will give me enough time for reading a few pages, but he’s my priority.

nightshade
nightshade
Black Thorn
1. Set a broad goal: Lose weight
2. Narrow the goal to something specific and add a time frame: feel comfortable with myself in 3 months and just feel happy in my clothes.
4. Detail each task:
  1. Task1: Walk 2 hours a day a cycle at least 3 times a week for an hour and a half.
  2. Task 2: Eat healthy meals and limit sugar intake.
  3. Task 3: If I'm going to binge eat, binge eat something healthy.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I hate to be a critic, but be careful about eliminating meals, and restricting. I know that you are trying to lose weight, but eating full meals that aren't just cereal will actually help you in the long run.
Couldn't agree more. Not only is it, of course, dangerous to remove meals, but it actually makes losing weight more difficult. You need to eat healthily, not eat less. That's for @HerrMister not you, of course :)

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
Actually there is good evidence that limiting the number of meals via Intermittent Fasting is a healthy and effective way of losing weight and has a number of health benefits. Just some food for thought! :)

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
1. Set a broad goal: Get Youtube channel to a point where I can start making money from it
2. Narrow the goal to something specific and add a time frame: 5000 subs by the end of the year (enough to start interest in Patreon supporters)
3. Break the goal into tasks need to achieve it: Post regular videos; one a week isn't realistic, so the goal is one new video every fortnight
4. Detail each task:
  1. Write and record vocals for each video in week one
  2. Edit video and post by the end of week two
5. Report progress: New video will be posted this weekend
6. Be accountable: I have to stop making excuses for not editing.
7. Communicate changes in goals/schedule: Will do!
8. I’ll communicate if there’s a change in my schedule: Yep

WillowFromBuffy
WillowFromBuffy
I gave you a shout-out on my channel.

r2dh2

Ok @Puppet @HerrMister @nightshade @Name the Stars @buffetier @genghiskhan and @RachM, it seems that we have enough quorum!

I'll be sending reminders and requesting information on your progress every Sunday (or Monday at the latest... you're already in my google calendar ;)). This will give you time to assess if you are on track with your proposed schedule and to adjust if you feel that it's too much or too little.

The first Sunday is around the corner, but I'll still send you a message and request your report (just to get us going).

I'm going to add my own goal:

1. Set a broad goal: Finish project LR
2. Narrow the goal to something specific and add a time frame: Have written draft including appendix by August 3rd.
3. Break the goal into tasks need to achieve it: Work with data, write and organize tables and figures.
4. Detail each task:
  1. Task1: Finish data work: For data already cleaned, finish doing stats by June 16th.
  2. Task 2: For areas not included yet, clean, organize, and homogenize by June 20th
  3. Task 3: Write up text and add tables/figures (July 27-July 31).
  4. Task 4: Proof read
5. Report progress: I have restarted working with data, I'm getting reacquainted with everything I've already done.
6. Be accountable: I'll report my own progress every Sunday when I send reminders.
7. Communicate changes in goals/schedule: I tend to be overoptimistic with work :(, but I'll try hard to stick to my schedule.
8. I’ll communicate if there’s a change in my schedule: I'm going to be traveling from July 20th to July 26th. I'll try to accommodate my schedule accordingly and keep you posted.

Last edited:

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Progress: I bought pea protein powder today, going to get some chocolate soya milk and have the powder in that with my breakfast. I doubt I get enough calcium or protein so that will help both. Plus hopefully the protein will help me feel less hungry.

r2dh2
r2dh2
Good! That's how I started losing weight a few years ago. It'll take you a while to get used to it, but stick to you plan for a few days and in no time you'll get adjusted (it usually takes me around 1 week of "suffering", but then it's a routine).

buffetier

Townie
Progress: I found my book! The Catcher in the Rye. I've always wanted to read it but for one reason or another, I haven't yet. Ordering it now!

Name the Stars

Black Thorn
To @SuperGirl80
Here is an average daily breakfast for me.

2 Servings Bran Flakes
Coconut Flakes
Almond Milk
All together in a bowl!

Yogurt, one serving
Walnuts, two servings

A bowl of strawberries
An orange

Tea

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
2 Servings Bran Flakes
Coconut Flakes
Almond Milk
All together in a bowl!
Is there a reason you have almond milk, higher in nutrients? Or you just prefer it?

I didn't get soya choc milk, store didn't have any so got oat choc milk instead.

Name the Stars
Name the Stars
I prefer it! I like the flavor more.

r2dh2

Alright, it is Sunday! Time to assess our progress!

Let me start with mine.

Report: I’ve continued going over the data that I had already put together, and I’ve added to the analysis. However, I’ve gone slower than I wanted, I’ve procrastinated playing with my cat – which is a handful and I almost lost him yesterday, he’s grounded today – but if I keep working at this pace, I might still make my first deadline of July 16th.

Grade: I'd give me a B+, I can do much better.

@Puppet: Did you go for a walk this week? If yes, for how long? If not, why?
How would you grade your effort and achievements so far?

@HerrMister: How’s the exercise going? Still hitting the mark of 1 hr per day? What about the concerns raised about eliminating dinner? Maybe eating something healthier could work better in the long run?

@nightshade: Is your new pea protein powder working? How much water are you drinking? Did you achieve your goal of biking 3 miles 3 days of last week?

@Name the Stars: Have you kept up with your diet and therapy? Have you avoided toxic behavior?

@buffetier: Have you already gotten your book? How’s the baby doing? Do you think that you’ll have time to achieve your objective?

@genghiskhan: Have you done exercise this week? What type of healthy meals are you having? Any binging this week?

@RachM: have you uploaded your video already?

A couple of comments:

1. Feel free to respond in any way you want, by that I mean that you can be very specific regarding accomplishments or lack of them, or you can be vague. Respond in a way that makes you feel comfortable.

2. If after thinking about your goals and whether or not you're in the right path, feel free to re-adjust your schedule. It'd be great if you let us know if you're re-adjusting so we can still hold you accountable, but again, it is up to you.

Hope you've done better than me!! And have a happy Sunday!

P.S. I'm traveling on June 20th, so I'll report to you and nag you before I leave.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm doing well, better on works days than off, at work I take two water bottles with me and usually by the end of the day I'm close to have finished both of them. I haven't had toast for breakfast these last two days, still working on the right amount of the protein powder so it's not to powdery to drink!

Exercise wise still keeping to the 3 miles on the bike and hitting the 10,000+ steps by going for walks.

I'm thinking of going swimming maybe once a week, but I need to look into pool times

r2dh2
r2dh2
Good work!
Black Thorn
Have you done exercise this week? What type of healthy meals are you having? Any binging this week?
I'm so glad I've made walking into a routine now I feel like I have to do it haha. I haven't been on my bike much this week though because when I wanted to it rained and I had to pick stuff up. For my meals, I stick to veggie options like quorn in a stir fry instead of meat and eating less bread. I have binged a hell of a lot of pineapple, cucumber and apples and I have eaten some stuff I probably shouldn't so I would give myself a B.

r2dh2
r2dh2
It sounds like a healthier binging ;)
Top Bottom