• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Young girls forced into marriage

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
There is a problem at the moment with Pakistani girls as young as 13 being forced into marriage, so many countries are against the practice but not America. Why, because several states allow the practice to happen in America.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Spanky,
are you saying that does not happen in America, or are you interested to know which states permit such practises against children?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
are you interested to know which states permit such practises against children?
Yes, what are the states that allow 13 year-olds to be forced into marriage.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
I never said it did, I said several states allow the practise to happen.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Requests to bring in child brides OK'd; legal under US laws

Long story short, if the marriage happens elsewhere, then it's generally accepted in the US, which allows for many exceptions in many states in regards to the age of those married anyway. On top of that, in some cases girls with dual citizenship and the like can be used (via forced marriage in other countries) to allow the man to gain citizenship in the US.

I'm glad this is finally getting some attention (and hope that it's not quickly forgotten).

Spanky
Spanky
Oh. Okay. I understand the OP now.
HoppyHippy
HoppyHippy
That's so sneaky and wrong.

TriBel

Scooby
Parties in California, Colorado, Kentucky, Louisiana, and Texas may get married at any age with parental consent. In Kentucky, the consent of a judge may also be needed and in Texas, marriage is not allowed under the age of 14 for males and 13 for females...In New Hampshire, the ages at which you may get married with parental consent are 14 for males and 13 for females. In Kansas and Massachusetts, the age for marriage with consent is 14 for males and 12 for females.

Don't know if it's correct - I found it here (and nothing about it being forced):
Teen Marriage: What is the Legal Age to Get Married Without Parental Consent?

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Getting information about that from those places is hard, strangely they don't advertise it. Its like there was little advertising that World War 2 didn't end until the Berlin Wall was taken down.
My apologies to @Spanky for not getting that info myself.

Spanky
Spanky
Just didn't know you meant importing brides.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Spanky,
ssh quiet, nor did I,
PS: I'm not listening to the news programs here anymore.

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
I think it's disgusting myself. No child should be forced or made to feel that they need to be married and have sexual relations.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black sun/blood moon
Black Thorn
Its slightly off topic, but this thread made me think about how so many things have changed in regards to how we view young ladies. Back in the day, people really didn't view teenagers as "children."

The Runaways were very sexual on and offstage...plus, all of them were sixteen years old. Except Lita who was seventeen. (Sandy isn't in this pic)
989703327962ecc4dae29055d90d4af9.jpg

Lori Maddox was only 13, and a well-known groupie. She was Jimmy Page's girlfriend for awhile. That's Sable Starr next to her. She's 15 here, and also a groupie. These girls slept with far more dudes than I ever have, which, in itself, is pretty damn impressive. 😂
c9a65f9a2978ad8a2a1da8908f8da15a.jpg

Linda Blair had a live-in relationship with Rick Springfield when she was 15. It raised a few eyebrows, but there was no hysterical outcry.
5dd6d6c3ceac2b63d601a9fc16cec8a7.jpg

I just wonder why things have changed so MUCH. Why are we suddenly viewing young people as infants? On my 17th birthday, I met my boyfriend, who was 32. Age didn't matter. And my parents were fine with it, though they insisted on meeting him, which WAS a bit awkward. But did they call the police on him? No. Did the neighborhood accuse him of child abuse? Uh, no.

*rant finished*

Last edited:

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
Its slightly off topic, but this thread made me think about how so many things have changed in regards to how we view young ladies. Back in the day, people really didn't view teenagers as "children."

The Runaways were very sexual on and offstage...plus, all of them were sixteen years old. Except Lita who was seventeen. (Sandy isn't in this pic)
View attachment 12471

Lori Maddox was only 13, and a well-known groupie. She was Jimmy Page's girlfriend for awhile. That's Sable Starr next to her. She's 15 here, and also a groupie. These girls slept with far more dudes than I ever have, which, in itself, is pretty damn impressive. 😂
View attachment 12470

Linda Blair had a live-in relationship with Rick Springfield when she was 15. It raised a few eyebrows, but there was no hysterical outcry.
View attachment 12469

I just wonder why things have changed so MUCH. Why are we suddenly viewing young people as infants? On my 17th birthday, I met my boyfriend, who was 32. Age didn't matter. And my parents were fine with it, though they insisted on meeting him, which WAS a bit awkward. But did they call the police on him? No. Did the neighborhood accuse him of child abuse? Uh, no.

*rant finished*
But then that is consensual and the kids are happy with it (I presume)... ?

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black sun/blood moon
Black Thorn
But then that is consensual and the kids are happy with it (I presume)... ?
Oh, yes. Absolutely. I had A LOT of fun when I was that age. Oh, the stories I could tell. 😈

Have you taken down your Christmas tree yet? 😜

Nix

Evil Nix
Sineya
Oh, yes. Absolutely. I had A LOT of fun when I was that age. Oh, the stories I could tell. 😈

Have you taken down your Christmas tree yet? 😜
Christmas is down for a few months now :confused:
And I'm a good girl! Always have been so I have no stories to tell ever !! ;)

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
There is a problem at the moment with Pakistani girls as young as 13 being forced into marriage, so many countries are against the practice but not America. Why, because several states allow the practice to happen in America.
Isn't it technically being respectful to a different culture? I feel like people often talk about how Western cultures shouldn't force their values on others. Anyway, what is the point of this thread specifically? I don't feel like there is a question attached to it, it's kind of just a statement.

Personally, I'd say that 13 is too young, not to mention the "forced" aspect, but childhood is a fairly recent concept (historically speaking) as well, so what constitutes a child seems to vary.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Parties in California, Colorado, Kentucky, Louisiana, and Texas may get married at any age with parental consent. In Kentucky, the consent of a judge may also be needed and in Texas, marriage is not allowed under the age of 14 for males and 13 for females...In New Hampshire, the ages at which you may get married with parental consent are 14 for males and 13 for females. In Kansas and Massachusetts, the age for marriage with consent is 14 for males and 12 for females.

Don't know if it's correct - I found it here (and nothing about it being forced):
Teen Marriage: What is the Legal Age to Get Married Without Parental Consent?
If you are that young and powerless, it is easy for parents to threaten & coerce you into marriage, to manipulate you to "do it for your family" or to convince you it is god's will etc. It being forced is unlikely to be written in law; but as minors, parental authority is a major deal.

I am less than sanguine about any teen marriage, but most disturbed by marriage where one person is a minor and the other (usually the male) is an adult, often much older, sometimes actually an old man. And people from the middle and far east are NOT the only culprits. Some American religious groups do this too. Sick.

Last edited:
TriBel
TriBel
I agree. :)
Top Bottom