• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Your favourite bits of unintentional foreshadowing

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Don't know if it's been mentioned before but in WTWTA, when Anya turns up at the party with Spike after an argument with Xander, Xander tells her "We had a little fight. It just means that we have to work our way through some stuff. It doesn't mean that we rebound with the evil undead."

When Xander asks her what she's doing with Spike, Anya replies "We didn't have sex, if that's what you mean. "

We all know what happens between Anya and Spike in Entropy :p

Tank1978

Townie
The whole running gag about Xander dating demons from s1 episode 4. The only 100% human he dated in buffy (not counting Anya as she was ex-demon and he knew this) was Cordelia who ended up part demon in Angel.

Twinkie

Townie
Faith: "And you can't stand that. You're all about control. You have no idea what it's like on the other side! Where nothing's in control, nothing makes sense! There is just pain and hate and nothing you do means anything. You can't even.."
I feel like this largely foreshadows Buffy's depression in Season 6.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
Glory in S5 complaining about Ben when talking with Dawn in The Gift:

GLORY. "Don't be so hard on the boy. He just wants to live -- most guys'd do the same. 'Sides, he's probably the reason your sis and her little cartoon pals are still alive. That little nagging pinch of humanity that makes me go for the hurt instead of the kill."

D'Hoffrying in S7 Selfless delivering one of the best lines of the show after killing Hallie instead of Anya:

D'HOFFRYN. "Haven't I taught you anything, Anya? Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain."

Tank1978

Townie
In s1 out of mind out of sight willow is wearing a Scooby doo t shirt. Pretty sure they didn't call themselves the scoobies at this point

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
Maybe she decided that would be the team logo? :P

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
S4, “The Freshman,” Xander asking Buffy how is college: “Ok, once more with even less feeling.

Reactions: Leo

vampmogs

Townie
Xander's eye is probably my favourite piece of unintentional foreshadowing throughout the series. You have Buffy's "It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" joke in "Dead Man's Party", Xander's eye twitching every time he hears Faith's name in "Bad Girls" (and he loses hie eye in Faith's return episode), Xander wearing an eyepatch as part of his costume for Halloween in "As You Were", and Xander's "Eww thumbs? Really?" when Buffy kills Gnarl by poking her thumbs through his eye's in "Same Time, Same Place." It's kind of incredible that it was all totally random and unintentional. And it was, even Xander's comment about Gnarl as late as Season 7, as they discuss in the DVD commentary for "Dirty Girls" that Joss was toying with killing Xander off in that episode and settled for him being permanently maimed instead once the other writers talked him out of it.

Buffy's "I hope it's a funny aneurysm!" was a pretty dark piece of foreshadowing. However, I know that Whedon told Kristine Sutherland during Season 4 that he intended to kill Joyce off next season so it may have not been unintentional.

I don't know if this classes as "foreshadowing" as such but it does always amuse me whenever I rewatch "The Witch" and Willow tries to stall Catherine by naively/ignorantly commenting on her witchcraft ("Do you actually ride a broom?"). In hindsight it's kind of humorous, especially since Willow dislikes witch stereotypes in "As You Were" and it's stated in "The Replacement" it bugs her when witches are shown using cauldrons in pop culture.

Another nifty piece of unintended foreshadowing is in "Harsh Light of Day" when Spike mistakenly wears the pendant around his neck believing it is the Gem of Amara. I wish I had a screenshot but he places the jewel around his neck and then stands with his arms stretched outwards (a sacrificial/crucification pose) which is almost identical to his pose in "Chosen" when he wears the amulet around his neck and sacrifices himself.

I also love the foreshadowing in "Crush" when Buffy and Xander scope the crime scene of Dru's massacre on the train. Buffy sits down in a chair which has an outline of a corpse marked on it, foreshadowing her death at the season's end.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Another nifty piece of unintended foreshadowing is in "Harsh Light of Day" when Spike mistakenly wears the pendant around his neck believing it is the Gem of Amara. I wish I had a screenshot but he places the jewel around his neck and then stands with his arms stretched outwards (a sacrificial/crucification pose) which is almost identical to his pose in "Chosen" when he wears the amulet around his neck and sacrifices himself.

katmobile

Potential
Cordelia in "Choices" says:

I'm sorry, Buffy. This conversation is reserved for people who actually HAVE a future.

Five years later, Cordelia is dead and Buffy is very much alive.
Although Buffy has died again by then.

Re: the post above in Restless one of the many poses that Spike is doing in his sideshow bit is a crucification pose. I've always wondered if that was unintentional I think it was and in the same section there's 'Buffy should have killed you'.

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
This might have been intentional - but at the start of S2, Willow quotes from the Terminator:
'In the few hours that we had together, we loved a lifetime's worth.' Fast forward to Surprise/Innocence.

Xander in S1: "Will, I get it, you don't have to drive it through my head like a railroad Spike." Fast forward to Spike's vampire backstory in FFL.

From the sandbox scene in Restless (with Giles, Spike, Xander and Buffy) Xander refers to a "lone shark" and in S6 we have the lone shark tailing Spike searching for his kittens.

This is pretty obvious and all, but Cheese Slices already covered the great ones :p
Drusilla: in FFL "You taste like ashes" + Spike in OMWF: "The torch I bear is scorching me".
Fast forward to his last moment on Chosen.

Was Xander's "I mock you with my ice cream cone Amish guy" (When She Was Bad) meant to be linked to Oz's "I mock you with my monkey-pants" (WML 2)? Furthering that, in Buffy's dream in Surprise Willow tells the monkey that the Hippo stole its pants.

Don't know if this counts because it's not strictly "foreshadowing", but I always thought the Cheese Man's line from Restless: "I wear the cheese. It does not wear me." is meta for the show's commentary on itself - the show wears its campy elements with self reflexive pride.

Ceadsearc03

Townie
Two more, though these are minor and maybe not unintentional.

Darla in Angel - did you think she would see your true face and give you a kiss? (Not a direct quote but hopefully you know what I’m referring to.) And then in WML Buffy does and says “I didn’t even notice.”

Amends - when Jenny/The First tells Angel “Sooner or later you will drink her.”

Top Bottom