• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Your first English words

Tueuse de Vampires

Love will tear us apart..
Okay, this is something for the non-native English speakers among us.

Do you still remember how you learned English, what your first words were, how old you were?

I remember I learned my first 2 English sentences ("What's your name" and "Where do you live") when I was 8 years old. My brother's friend's sister was starting to learn English at school and we were all hanging out at their place. So to talk to her my brother gave me these 2 sentences is English, haha.
My next contact with the English language was when I was 10 years old and learned it at school. Among the first things we learned there were the numbers from 1 to 20. I still remember how our teacher explained to us why we call teenagers teenagers, lol

H
Hello Cutie
Haha yeah I speak Russian, only I've managed to forget most of it.. I lived there for a year when I was younger, cuz I'm an ice skating pro.

Bangelxx

Fear the cheeseman;)
I think my first word was "bear!" for my teddy bear, but I can't remember how old I was.

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
Since I'm a native English speaker, I'll answer this for German. Some of the first German words I learned and actually USE are . . . um, naughty. I READ German, I can't speak it. :D

F
forget
LMAO. they're "um...naughty"

UlaGan

Sunnydweller
Hm, mine first words were: "I'm hungry!" and something else from Muzzy. I was either 10 or 12 when it was running on local TV. Though, I haven't really learned English till 11th grade, when we moved to South Korea.

Joyce Summers

Mom of a Chocoholic
My first English word was, typically, Mom.

But as for another language. I can remember the first French word I learnt and that was 'Salut', followed on the same day with Bonjour, Ca va, and Au Revoir

And Spanish....it was....me gusta and neranja. :)

And Italien...I can't remember my first word in Italien as I sort of learnt it as an extension of learning Spanish and French.

When I was 2 or 3 years old, my favorite show was Punky Brewster. My mom tells me I used to run around screaming "Punky Power!". And I named my dog Punky. Heh.

Starlet

Potential
I was about 7-8 years old and we were learning about colours at the first English lesson. We were singing a song too. I still remember it: "Red and yellow, blue and green, blue and green...":biggrin:

babyo0ogirl

Damn Skippy Baby!
My first word was "mushroom" in English at 1 1/2...my first French word was the lines of the song jingle bells.

Hello Cutie

Save_us.222
I speak a few different languages, when I was younger, even though I've always lived in England, my native tongue was Persian, and the first words I learnt in that were 'ob bedeh' (my translation spelling probably isnt right) which is 'water please'

And in english, it was 'no'. Quite typical of me really.

In Russian, it was 'koshka' (again sp?) which is cat.

Tueuse de Vampires
Tueuse de Vampires
you speak Russian? cool, me too :) and it's as right as you can spell it with the latin alphabet

Lou

Scooby
I have always spoken English, but I can say, my daughter sat up at 7 months old and just said, "Daddy, gimme cookie" like she'd been talking for months.
It gave us both a shock and we probably would have decided we imagined it had she not started trying to climb up him and chanting it.
Even more of a shock since my son apparently couldn't hear for a year and he didn't start really talking until 3. So, to see this baby jumping past words into sentences (demanding ones at that) we KNEW we were in for a world of trouble.

And she hasn't shut up since!

L
Lily
that's adorable! I bet she's a happy little handful!

Anya Jenkins-Harris

Vengeance is what I am.
No one can remember my first English word -Mutters- Darn parents :p

My first word in French, I was 2 and I ran around the house saying la soliel [Hey, I was obsessed with TotsTV :lmao:]

Hehe my first English word was "ice cream". I guess I must have been pretty little. I started having English classes in first grade, when I was seven, and at that point I think I knew a few sentences etc.

Wiccaness

I'm a blood-sucking fiend, look at my outfit
Although i didn't learn English til i was 7, my first English word was actually when i was probably around 2 or 3 years old, and it was " artichoke"

Long story short, there was a commercial advertising "Ingles sin barreras" which basically sold videos or cassettes so people could learn English, and there were clips they showed of what the videos had in them, one was of a teacher teaching how to pronounce artichoke correctly so they were "aaaarrrrrrthichoke" and i said the same thing exactly how they were saying it. "aaaarrrrrrthichoke" So that would be my first word :biggrin:

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
First english words for me must have been yes and no. Why make it compicated? I don´t know how old I was but for sure it was way before I started school.

First spanish word what I remember came when I was 10. That´s then it came a lot of immigrants from Chile to our little village. And when one boy started in our class (the first spansihtalking immigagrant in the whole school, it was a very big thing. Oh how the world has changed. I feel old. :() the first word we learned obviously had to be amigo.

My first german words I don´t remember but it was when I was around 12 I guess. My big sister needed help with her homework. Like I could help? I had seriously big problems to pronounce the words of course. Afterwards I said everything just sounded like isch, asch, usch. In school we got to learn whole sentences from the beginning.. Ich bin dreizehn jahre alt. Ich wohne in Götene. I reapeted it to myself for three days straight so I wouldn´t forget it til our next lesson. Nowdays I mostly sing Rammstein songs. Or maybe Blümchen...

First french phrase was Bon apétit (or should it be bon appétit?) as it said so on the coasters (don´t know if it´s the right word) in our lokal restaurant.

And I learned some polish since we spend some time were then I was younger (11 -15 years old). I have no idé how to spell, so bare with me, ok? Pjuka = (foot)ball, jajko = egg, herbata = thé, kava = coffe, djin/kinn dobre = Hello/good day.

T

T.I.P

Shizer, Auf. Damn, i picked up some German from someone i knew but i cant remember it.

DrusillaRox

You wanna date my avatar
Um it think my first english words were mum-mum, ugh, how typical, my first Japanese word was Gomenasai (sorry)

Washburne
Washburne
I don´t care if you learned it from somewhere else. Since I love that song you get some karma anyway.

SC7 Fan

Gay brownies
My first english words were either mum or dad.

First French word was Bonjour.

First German word was....... I can't remember what it was.

Apart from French and German the only other languages I can speak are English(Obviously), A little Spanish and a little Italien. I can speak a little Latin too.

Tueuse de Vampires
Tueuse de Vampires
you ca speak German?

MSchett

Teeth,Claws,Breakup Sex..
well my first spanish words were Tus pantalones eres en fuego! when i was about 6 my sister told me to say it and now i almost speak Spanish fluently but i cant talk to some spainish speakers because they speak to quickly

Top Bottom