• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Your Top 5 Episodes of Season 4

Tank1978

Scooby
@Btvs fan I think Hush is a great episode but once the novelty wears off I long for the dialogue again. Also, despite being a huge fan of the action sequences, I must admit that the clocktower fight drags on way too long. It brings the episode down for me a little. That said, I still like it and it would've ranked 6th for me.

As for Something Blue, I actually find it to be the most overrated episode in fandom alongside Tabula Rasa and Band Candy. I actually enjoy the episode at the beginning but as soon as the spell shenanigans kick in it loses me pretty fast. It's another episode where the fight sequences drag on way too long and are repetitive (the demon chase is a bore) and I don't find a lot of it to be all that funny, to be honest. It was funnier earlier in the episode when the characters were acting like themselves (Buffy taunting Spike about her neck) but Buffy behaves so OOC later on that I feel like I'm watching strangers. It's one of those episodes you're just expected to like because the plot synopsis sounds so farfetched (Buffy and Spike get married! Giles goes blind! Hijinks ensue!) but, IMO, there's way funnier episodes *shrugs*
I agree, it didn't rank too highly on my overall buffyverse countdown (237th). I still like the episode and it's way better than a lot of other tv shows just that I found a lot of other episodes more enjoyable.

Serenityrose

Townie
1. Hush
2. Something Blue
3. Who Are You?
4. Pangs
5. The Yoko Factor

HM: Harsh Light of Day, The Initative, and A New Man

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
1. Restless too much to love, one of my favourites of the series
2. Who Are You Brilliantly acted, and incredibly exciting - I never get bored rewatching this
3. Wild at Heart It's often underrated. It's a heartbreaker but it's incredibly beautiful and moving for Willow's character, and it has this amazing shot:

4. Harsh Light of Day - I feel bad for not choosing Hush, but I think on rewatches I enjoy HLOD just a bit more- and I love the Faith In Love song.
5. Something Blue It's a delightful classic, though I think I enjoy the opening to middle bits the most

I'd also divide the seasons into 1-3, 4-6, 7.

B
Btvs fan
Which do you consider the better of the 2 episodes. Harsh Light of Day or In the Dark

vitriol

Townie
1. Someting Blue
2. The Harsh Light of Day
3. Hush
4. Who Are You
5. A New Man

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
You wouldn't put 6 & 7 together?
Seasons 6 and 7 do feel very connected, but tonally they feel different, so I don't put them together.

Seasons 1-2-3, I think of collectively as the "early seasons". 4-5-6, the middle chunk, feels like a trilogy of sorts. (S6 felt like the darker aftermath of S5, S5 felt like the natural follow up from the transitional S4 when Buffy started college.)

S7 consciously felt like the final season to me - in my head it conjures green grass, blue denim, candlelight, trees, domestic scenes (more so than before), chapels, books, baking etc. That's my mental image of it. It's very specific. I always class it as separate from the middle seasons for that reason, lol.

Priceless
Priceless
I love the idea that Season 7 conjures up green grass, blue denim, candlelight etc.
B
Btvs fan
Is it the final season though if Spike is brought back to life in Angel S5 ?

SunnydaleGlitz

Potential
Sineya
@Btvs fan, Yeah, I meant the final "tv" BtVS season, sorry 🙂

I've now seen the first season of Angel btw! Between HLOD and In the Dark, it's mostly a tie for me, but I think I like HLOD a tiny bit more. The opening of In the Dark is brilliant though (that hilarious monologue) and I do like Marcus a lot as a villain. Also, Five by Five was stunning. I'd already seen IWRY and Sanctuary before. I really liked To Shanshu in LA. And the last 10 minutes of Hero = devastating.

Last edited:

Btvs fan

Scooby
@Btvs fan, Yeah, I meant the final "tv" BtVS season, sorry 🙂

I've now seen the first season of Angel btw! Between HLOD and In the Dark, it's mostly a tie for me, but I think I like HLOD a tiny bit more. The opening of In the Dark is brilliant though (that hilarious monologue) and I do like Marcus a lot as a villain. Also, Five by Five was stunning. I'd already seen IWRY and Sanctuary before. I really liked To Shanshu in LA. And the last 10 minutes of Hero = devastating.
You'll have to give your reaction of AYNOHYEB /Dear Boy and of course the FFL crossover Darla :)

Serenityrose

Townie
1. Something Blue
2. Hush
3. Who Are You?
4. Pangs
5. A New Man

HM: Harsh Light of Day, Doomed, Restless, The Initiative

Top Bottom