1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Abbreviations and kewl talk reminder

Discussion in 'Buffy-Boards News' started by Buffy Summers, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    Thank you for the compliment! I learned English when I was 10 by reading a bunch of English books, but believe it or not I did it because I wanted to understand what the things in my Pokémon games meant.

My English has to be good, especially because I am an English teacher!

Indeed, that does sound very confusing. I think I would have been like you and thought they would have been talking about Michelle Trachtenberg... I'm fine if we just stick to SMG and DB

2. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    Dammit. I didn't want to do that. I went and complimented someone. That will hurt my rep. What is this world coming to?

Oh. I know what I was going to say before I got distracted by my alleged nicetities. I think a lot of the abbreviations are due to people using phones more now; back in the olden days you could converse longer and have better conversations. (although @Kana kills it on the phone, which amazes me, some of those posts are made from a phone) I think that's why the no abbreviation thing is overlooked now, because of the cell phones. We even had a rule once that you had to have meaningful posts and could not just post "me too" or "thanks" or smileys.

ChaseRules: Your mask is slipping Mr Pole.You keep that up & people might think you don't belong in Black Thorn :)
  3. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    Haha, don't worry! I won't tell anyone you complimented a Sineya of all people!

I think 10 years ago textspeak was much more prominent, however, I think that people are simply quite lazy with writing and it considered 'cool' to use tho instead of though. I think it is impressive the stuff people write on their phones! I get so frustrated when I even try to access BB on my phone.

I do feel that it is okay that this stuff is changing because that is what language always does. It becomes more economical once it has become standardized. I think within the next decade or two they will be teaching gonna and wanna in schools. Like it or not, but that's just how languages work and change.

I wish we could bring that rule back, it will force people to be more creative with their responses!

GwenRaiden likes this.
  4. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    [​IMG]

It is lazy. There is no reason to say U and UR instead of "you" and "your"; especially on a forum meant to encourage communication. If it were texts of private messaging it would be a different matter.
    I did recently say "thru" instead of through and I made myself mad at my slothful spelling habits.

OccaQuokka likes this.
  5. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    I do agree with you there, because when I'm texting with my friends (in English) I have the worst grammar and spelling, but here I try to keep my language as neat and accurate as possible, because there are so many non-natives here. Like you said, this board is all about communication and we should all aim to be as accurate as we possible can be to ensure that other members can actually understand what we are talking about.

I remember feeling incredibly embarrassed when I had to ask what stuff meant. I'm learning Estonian now (my girlfriend's native language) and whenever I chat with her sister in Estonian she uses text speak and slang, but she does not understand that I don't understand that stuff. I find it very annoying that I have to ask my girlfriend to tell her not to do that, because I'm not at that level of proficiency!

6. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    But it's also, at least for me, a respect thing by speaking and using proper English. It seems almost disrespectful to this forum and others not to.

Is it like Finnish?

7. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    Why do you think it is almost disrespectful? Because of the non-native thing or because you prefer your language as accurate? I'm curious does it annoy you to see non-natives make mistakes because I know quite some natives that find it annoying. I am so used to reading broken English it barely phases me.

It is a lot like Finnish, yes. It is from the same language tree, but totally different languages. Her mom and sister are coming over in the summer and they don't speak English or Dutch (my native language) so it is going to be me speaking Estonian!

8. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    It costs a lot of money, time and effort to keep this place running. Especially being (if I am not mistaken) the longest running Buffy community on the internet. I think respecting the forum-mates and the admin enough to speak and type proper and complete sentences is the least that we, as members of the community, can do. And of course there are rules in place which say this should be done as well.

9. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    I think a lot of people don't realise that running this website costs quite a lot of money. I feel like this is a problem on the internet in general, because people assume everything is free...and take it for granted, but sometimes don't take the time to appreciate it for what it is. I mean I feel privileged to be able to chat with people about Buffy from all across the world!

I think the same goes for rude/inappropriate behaviour on the internet or on this forum. People don't realise that people are working hard to create a safe and welcoming environment for its users and then go about and ruin it by being horrible to the other members. I do enjoy the freedom we get on this forum. I was on a Tara/Willow forum for a while, but it was not allowed to talk about Seeing Red, Tara dying or Kennedy! I understand that it was very difficult for member and these were the rules, but I felt incredibly restricted whenever we were having discussions about the episodes.

In general I do feel people should consider the rules and authority of this board. This includes use of language! I am actually wondering now are we allowed to swear on this board? I have never paid attention to it and as we are on the topic of language anyway. You probably know!

10. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    No, we are not.
    "Offensive, obscene and profane language should not be used. Most points can be expressed without resorting to inappropriate language. While there are only a couple of words we actually censor, we will remove extraneous and unnecessary cursing from posts to keep the board family friendly and enjoyable for all. If you can't post without cursing, then you have bigger problems than whether we edit your posts or not. In short, don't swear just to swear! "

Here's the board posting rules if anyone is interested.

11. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    What about swear words that people use in their usernames? I now wonder which ones are considered offensive, because people use 'bitch' a lot around here.

You have been around longer here than me, have there been a lot of cases where members used offensive language or not? I've heard of the dramatic past of the Buffy fandom and I mean shipwars can get pretty crazy.

12. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    I think there are certain words which, though being swear words, are acceptable. Certainly words used in the show, as in Out For A Walk B----. However there are some which are not acceptable and go beyond the PG13 rating of the board.

As bad as the shipwars got I don't remember profanity being involved. Maybe they were all edited out. The Mods worked overtime back then.

13. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    Were the shipwars that bad then? I remember seeing people go crazy in the Glee fandom and threatening each other with terrible things.

Professor Walsh: A lot of people took the shipwars personally, they got really heated at times.
  14. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    They caused numerous people to leave the forum. They were bad. The forum changed a lot as a result of them I think.

15. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    Changed in what way? Was the forum more active back then? I think it is very active today? I'm going to take a look at the Sunnydale cemetery to check out if I notice any change!

16. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    It was very active. Many more members. Enough to fill four houses, as today we've only got two. We lost two of the houses and added a bunch more rules, but I can't really say how it changed, it just feels intrinsically different; not better, not worse, just different. It feels less friendly and less welcoming than it did. Even though members were going at one another sometimes it still felt comforting because of the houses. You could spend weeks just staying and talking in your house. But that was also the problem, as it led to less people posting in the actual forum. Now, things feel in some ways... sterile. I am not sure if that makes much sense or not. Everything just seems less genuine, at least to me.

But honestly, if not for this place and House Drogyn (the best of the four houses), I'd be a lot different person today. Maybe that would be for the better too! But there was, I think, a camaraderie that is missing.

GwenRaiden: Agreed :(
    OccaQuokka likes this.
  17. Foxy

Foxy I am cookie dough!

Sineya
    Interesting. It is nice to hear from someone who has spent several years here! I have been here for about two years already, but my experience does not compare to yours, obviously.

Do you think there is a way to go back to that? Like fewer rules? More board promotion? More activities, etc?

18. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    I don't know. I doubt it. I have discussed this previously with Buffy Summers and I think people's online activity changed and that people in general aren't as interested in going onto forums and they prefer other forms of social media. She disagrees with that, but... I don't know. I can't imagine it ever going back to the way it was. Times change. I don't think the admin and staff would necessarily want to go back to that.

I had no idea you had been here two years. Wow.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 9, 2017 ---
    @ChaseRules Told you, I got sorted into there by mistake. I am a Sineya. I am just forced to occupy the damned House of the Black Thorn.
    @ChaseRules Maybe since Taake took your soul we could swap houses. You move into Black Thorn and I into Sineya. Maybe that would make me a nicer person.

Buffy Summers: I don't disagree with that. lol
    Foxy: I lurk most of the time because I don't have time to enter big discussions. I like to enjoy and read what you guys are saying :)
    Professor Walsh: The parenting board where I used to be a mod actually closed down, as the activity had moved so much over to other social media that keeping it going wasn't worth the effort and money anymore.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  19. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    @Mr. Pole you would get the better part of the deal. I would be stuck with the people from Black Thorn & in spite of it being easier for me since I won't have to second guess my self I still have hope in the lawsuit I have against @Taake

20. Mr. Pole

Black Thorn
    Well, duh. I wouldn't propose a deal where I would get the worse part. I just figured since you were like Soulless Cordy now and all evil you'd want to change.