• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Article Anthony Stewart Head - Guardian interview

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
Courtesy of The Guardian Online

After I got the part of Rupert Giles in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I lived in Los Angeles for five years, while my partner Sarah and the girls – Daisy was four and Emily was six – stayed in England. I’d try to go home to them every three or four weeks. The production team would work dates around me, and every time I got the chance to have six days clear, I’d get on a plane. Anything less than six days was disruptive – I’d have to leave as soon as they were getting used to having me around. I’d hit the ground running, take over from Sarah, take the girls to school and do as much as I could before I had to go back. I spent quite a lot of money on air fares, but we made it work.

I can’t put into words how much I missed my family when I was in LA. Even now, I feel emotional about it. It was a real test. I owe an enormous amount to Sarah. She knew I’d always wanted to work in America and when I got the chance, she said, go for it, I’ll hold the fort here. In hindsight, it gave us all a wealth of opportunity, Buffy ran for seven seasons and I had the best time of my life. There were moments, though, when I thought I was insane and I would really struggle. I’d put the song Highway, Highway by Stephen Allen Davis on in my car, and just sit there and weep.

When I called my parents to tell them about my new job as Giles, I told them Buffy was brilliant, but at the same time it was really funny. My dad said, ah, the problem with comedy is that all your best bits will end up on the cutting-room floor. He was trying to shield me from disappointment. But you can’t protect your children in that way. You simply end up becoming a disappointment yourself. Instead, all you can do is encourage them and be there to support them if their choices don’t go the right way.

I feel sorry for the guy. It must have been hard to continually leave his young family behind in England to work in the US. :( It almost makes me forgive him leaving Buffy in Season 6!

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
I was just coming here to post this you scene stealer! :p But seriously, good article on ASH.

:)

Athena
Athena
You snooze, you lose! :-p I just happened across it on the Guardian site, so it was pure luck really.... ;-)

white avenger

white avenger
I feel sorry for the guy. It must have been hard to continually leave his young family behind in England to work in the US.
ASH sounds pretty awesome and intelligent.
Rather than feel sorry for Mr Head, be happy for just how lucky he really was. That kind of separation has been the death of more than a few good marriages, with the children suffering the most. I saw it way too often while I was in the Navy. Believe me when I say, except for the strongest of relationships, absence can make the heart go wander.

Oh I totally forgive him for taking a break when he did. After all he had given nearly six years in the role at that point. And needless to say he produced the goods in pretty much every episode. He earnt the break.:)

Top Bottom