• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Changes

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
perhaps she means that section that says 'choose one', under 'edit email and password' in the 'edit profile' part of the user cp?
Took the words right out of my mouth! That's the one I was thinking of BS :)

Again, obviously not a big deal at all, I just really like Tara's character. (And couldn't think of much else I'd want to change! ;)).

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
That actually doesn't do anything (or show anywhere). It's a question I added when I was trying to make the board sort people automatically, but I could never get it to work. That's also why there are so few choices. :)

Angelic Slayer
Angelic Slayer
Oh, alrighty then! Never mind! :-)

echo

Townie
I know this thread is like so last season, J/k

"If I could change one thing about BB, it would be... Custom Avatars is it not possible to have avatars linked from offsite, from for example Photobucket"
"If I could keep one thing about BB the same forever, it would be...This bulletin board been online that long"

palabravampiress

Bidet of Evil
Wow! I just noticed this thread. It's a cute concept, by the way, Buffy Summers. I like how it solicits suggestions in a positive way.

"If I could change one thing about BB, it would be..."
The columns in the New Posts list would be sortable.

"If I could keep one thing about BB the same forever, it would be..."
The little karma comments. I love those things! When I find myself on other boards, I always feel the lack of those quite keenly. They're great for leaving short messages without being spammy and the karma points aspect of the messages encourages members to leave nice, friendly comments for each other.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Hmm...I'll see what I can do about the sorting. Exactly what would you use the sort for? (Just trying to get an idea of what you want to use it for so I can try and figure out a way to do it.)

palabravampiress

Bidet of Evil
sings: "Ch-ch-ch-changes!"

Sorry. David Bowie read the thread title and was dying to come out. Anywho, I would use the sort function to do a few different things:

1.) I'd sort by replies. Sometimes, I wanna hop in for a ten minute break in my day or something, in which case I'd like to be able to see which threads are the hottest, most happening threads and focus my attention there.

2.) I'd sort by forum, although I admit this would mostly be to relegate all of those Slaying Practice posts to the far away land of the "S"es. I guess it would be even better if I could selectively enable and disable some forums, but sortability would probably be easier to incorporate.

3.) I'd sort by last post (by member name, not by date and time). I'll be honest, here: some folks' opinions interest me more than others' interest me. If I see a thread with, say, PVsBestestBuddy09 listed as the last poster rather than, say, JoinedAYearAgoAndOnlyPostedTwice, I'm more likely to pop into the Buddy thread than the slack-off poster thread.

I tend to use the New Post list as a quick introduction to what I missed between logons -- especially if I'm low on time. For me, then, having the ability to quickly sort that list in order to highlight things that most interest me would greatly enhance this functionality.

Airam
Airam
karma because when I read the thread title my brain started singing the very same song :p

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
The only thing I can do atm for
I guess it would be even better if I could selectively enable and disable some forums
is to say you can either,

a) double click on the icon for the Slaying Practice forum to mark its posts read before you begin or

b) You can subscribe to the forum you do want to read and then I *think* you can just see new threads in subscribed forums. But that would be a lot of work as we have a lot of forums lol

Anyhoo - I'll work on the sorting thing. :)

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I guess it would be even better if I could selectively enable and disable some forums
I have seen a vbulletin modification that does this. It's an old one but I'm pretty sure it would work on a 3.7 board.
Guess it might be old news though... and I have of course no idea if it would be workable solution for this board.
Don't really feel the need for it myself to be honest.

To answer the original question for this thread.
If I could change one thing I would clean up the smilie list. Maybe put them into categories or something.
I found it impossible to find the right smilie and the page takes forever to load.
Would also change so that more common and useful smilies would show on the quick list below the edit box.

What to keep... well, most things actually.
I'm a bit suprise how well the different houses works here. To my experience it is never a good idea to split people on boards into different groups but here it works absolutely great and I would really miss it if it was removed.

/SK

Airam
Airam
its like you're in my brain!

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
"If I could change one thing about BB, it would be..."
When using a different skin from the default, that the text stays the same size. Sometimes I want to use a different skin but with certain skins it makes the text so small. :(

"If I could keep one thing about BB the same forever, it would be..."
No custom avatars. I think custom avatars make forums look really messy. BB is the nicest looking forum I've ever seen. :D

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
I have seen a vbulletin modification that does this. It's an old one but I'm pretty sure it would work on a 3.7 board.
Guess it might be old news though... and I have of course no idea if it would be workable solution for this board.

/SK
That function would be most useful for people who want to avoid spoilers in forums for seasons they haven't seen. It's sometimes difficult to tell whether a topic is in (for example) Buffy Season 4 or Angel Season 4 from the New Posts screen. Also, being able to avoid Slaying Practice till your done with real new posts could be useful.

Airam

Zen baby.
Sineya

To answer the original question for this thread.
If I could change one thing I would clean up the smilie list. Maybe put them into categories or something.
I found it impossible to find the right smilie and the page takes forever to load.
Would also change so that more common and useful smilies would show on the quick list below the edit box.

What to keep... well, most things actually.
I'm a bit suprise how well the different houses works here. To my experience it is never a good idea to split people on boards into different groups but here it works absolutely great and I would really miss it if it was removed.

/SK
I second every word. Since I saw this thread I've been trying to think of the one thing I would change and it didn't come to me till I read sk's post but the smilies are exactly the thing... The page takes forever to load for me too and once its loaded scrolling through trying to find the appropriate one takes me so long I've given up looking through them anymore all together and just always go with the 4 that I know off the top of my head.

And yeah I agree the Houses work very well here, love the playful rivalry and the home away from home aspect to them :)

Kean
Kean
OMFG! You're sig is fantastic...Tiny, ting babies LMFAO

InsaneMystic

Ex-Scooby
I absolutely agree. You all know how much I love using all kinds of different smilies, but the loading time is insane! Also, quite a number are doubles or triples and scattered randomly around the list... often takes forever to find some rare smiley that I know I've seen somewhere on that page but can't remember where it was, gah!

Thing to keep forever: The karma comments! Every time I log into that German board I used to post a lot on a year or two ago, I deeply miss that I can't just give a short karma there. (OTOH, said board can get nasty, they'd all probably go crazy neg repping each other to death, lol.)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Actually old ones don't always work on newer versions. I'll look but I don't recall seeing one that does this.

As for spoilers, I would say if you don't want to read about a certain season, mark that forum read when you get to the main page by double clicking on its icon.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
If I could change one thing about BB, it would be...The house activities, we need more fun things to do!
If I could keep one thing about BB the same forever, it would be...The IRC room, i luuuuuurve the IRC! <3

Top Bottom