Darla was Angel's true love

What I find interesting is the projection involved in his obsession with "saving" her humanity. Did Angel think that if he could save Darla, he could atone for his sins and fullfill the prophecy?
1. Angel does good because the First Evil convicted him, that he was neither righteous nor a man, and he was not a thing worth saving.

Buffy disagreed.

Someone Else disagreed.

Angel then decided that the best way to repay the mercy shown to him on Christmas Dawn of 1998 was, in addition to a life of penance and shriving, to help others in their own quest for redemption. Like Faith, like Darla, like Holtz and Connor. But not Spike. The Powers didn't really reveal themselves to him until after he committed himself to his quest.

So, no. He wasn't helping Darla to earn karmic points, he was doing so to show that if history,'s greatest serial killer could be saved, so could she. Ultimately, he was right, depending on how straight you take her final appearance to Connor.
 
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
I should clarify - I believe that Angelus is in Angel at all times, and he's just suppressing him. Because even with a soul, Angel has done some deplorable things. I just don't believe they are as separate as many fans do.
Re: Angel/Angelus Barrier: It's purely a matter of personal taste, really. What was presented in Season 4 where Angel/Angelus are two entities with distinct personalities isn't really compatible with Angelus fighting Eyghon

I personally prefer that they are the same guy, plus or minus a soul, akin to an alcoholic being the same guy, just with different levels of restraint depending on sobriety. Like Angelus is the reptile brain and Angelus is the more advanced parts of the brain. But, that's not how the character gets written.
 
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
I completely agree with this.
Back
Top Bottom