• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of Buffy 12.02 - Released 7/18/18 (Dark Horse)

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
She's probably just going to sacrifice her powers and I'm really not sure how I feel about that.

I really hope not! The answer to people being upset about women's empowerment cannot be women deciding to give up their power. I will be so disappointed.

Mylie

Scooby
I really hope not! The answer to people being upset about women's empowerment cannot be women deciding to give up their power. I will be so disappointed.

Same! It would be pretty depressing. I just can't think of anything else she'd sacrifice.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
The other possibility is that he gets the shanshu, but I can't see Joss giving him that. It's not the kind of story he tells. And I've always felt that Angel can't have an happy ending anyway.
The thing is that someone has to get the shanshu in the end. The prophecy can't be avoided. It's going to manifest in one way or another, and it states that the vampire with a soul, after facing numerous battle... blah, blah, blah...will shanshu. So whatever that means - whether Wes was correct that it means becoming human, or there's a catch that has it turn out to be something else - it has to happen at some point to Angel (or Spike since he technically qualifies I guess - though that's less likely)

Unless of course the writers decide to ignore it completely like they have so many other things.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Same! It would be pretty depressing. I just can't think of anything else she'd sacrifice.

I know what you mean. I do feel like the scythe will come into play in some way. When Harmony said that Buffy retained her powers and memories when she went to hell, it was over a panel of Buffy with the scythe, and the scythe is prominently featured on the cover of #4. But does leaving the scythe behind have to mean leaving her powers behind?

In my perfect version, they would send the scythe to hell to seal the portal with the slayer power and memories, and then Buffy and Willow would figure out a new source to restore the power/memories that doesn't come from the Shadowmen rape metaphor. But that's too easy. :p

Last edited:

Cohen

Hellhound
LOVED the Harmony reveal! It made me think back to AtS Season 2’s “Disharmony” where Lorne tells Cordy and Harmony that harmony has a destiny. Of course she would be there 200 years from now using the society to make her rich and powerful!
And naked portrait for the win! I just wish Clem would have still been with her. I liked her and Clem together.

As for the rest of the story, I think it’s fitting in a way for the comic storyline to end with a Buffy and Fray team-up. Fray brought Buffy canon into the comic world. So having Fray help Buffy in the end is genius, and makes the whole fandom come full circle. One girl in all the world keeps fighting.

I am curious to see how they get around Harth knowing everything they do. I almost wonder if Willow will make a memory inhibitor spell or potion that will keep Buffy out of the know, since it’s her memory that Harth seems to be relying on.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I'm back up to date with the universe! In fact I've placed a preorder for the final 2 issues and I'm genuinely looking forward to reading them :).

@Cohen you were right. Despite Angel & Giles being awful last season this is worth it.

Everything seems to be coming together. Characters sound like themselves, even Angel and Giles who have been shadows for years. There are genuine stakes again, it feels huge. I like that we've had a good and tragic explanation of the events leading to Fray. It paints everyone in a good light but it's tragic and also unreliable coming second hand from Harmony.

I don't think it will play out like that now and so I worry for Xander and Dawn. I can't see a happy couple with a child both surviving. I think Faiths omission from the story means she'll have a huge role to play, not sure what though.

Few minor quibbles. The art is really ropey a lot of the time. Faces people, they're supposed to have faces. Also again, Ilyria is god awful. As a character and as a partner for Angel. I think this is now worst the Cordelia and Angel together.

Top Bottom