How did Spike do it?

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Joined
Jan 11, 2009
Messages
1,710
Location
United States
Sineya
Once I found out that James is 5'9" and David is 6'1" I wondered how it was that Angel often only looked slightly taller than Spike...?

"TGIQ" & "Destiny" are good examples where there are scenes the height difference looks only slight. And look at the photograph in my sig, Angel barely looks an inch taller, nowhere near 4"...
75803208.jpg
 
S
Skytteflickan88
Maybe James stands taller and David hunches(if that's the word). I heard James 5'8.
Well, in Season 2 he spent alot of his time in a wheelchair so the height thing wasn't as noticable, however, JM admitted at Dragon Con last year, or possibly the year before, that he wore lifts. He told a story of how his girlfriend at the time was jealous of how close he and Juliet Landau were and so she pretended to fancy DB, which in turn made JM jealous and so when he guested on Angel S1 he wore lifts to uh...compensate lol
 
Errrr, it's a play on perspective?



Well, in Season 2 he spent alot of his time in a wheelchair so the height thing wasn't as noticable, however, JM admitted at Dragon Con last year, or possibly the year before, that he wore lifts. He told a story of how his girlfriend at the time was jealous of how close he and Juliet Landau were and so she pretended to fancy DB, which in turn made JM jealous and so when he guested on Angel S1 he wore lifts to uh...compensate lol

Aw. That's...kinda sad. haha
 
crazysoulless
crazysoulless
What is sad is that I am jealous of that ex-girlfrend. She got to be with the actor that played Spike.
I think it's common for actors or actresses to wear lifts. I don't know about SMG...David was like a tower in front of her(which I find very cute), I am sure she could have stood in a box to kiss him!
Maybe James did the same.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

crazysoulless agrees: Stood on a box to kiss David? ha ha


LOOOL! I am talking about Sarah!!! :biggrin3:
 
crazysoulless
crazysoulless
Stood on a box to kiss David? ha ha
"crazysoulless agrees: What is sad is that I am jealous of that ex-girlfrend. She got to be with the actor that played Spike."

Yes, she certainly wasn't unlucky. 😉


I think it's common for actors or actresses to wear lifts. I don't know about SMG...David was like a tower in front of her(which I find very cute), I am sure she could have stood in a box to kiss him!
Maybe James did the same.

I briefly misinterpreted that. My Spangel-er heart skipped a beat.
 
E
Eleftheria
lol! sorry U should have explained it better! I mean Sarah might have stood in a box...!
Well, in Season 2 he spent alot of his time in a wheelchair so the height thing wasn't as noticable, however, JM admitted at Dragon Con last year, or possibly the year before, that he wore lifts. He told a story of how his girlfriend at the time was jealous of how close he and Juliet Landau were and so she pretended to fancy DB, which in turn made JM jealous and so when he guested on Angel S1 he wore lifts to uh...compensate lol

Now it makes sense. And I for one am glad James did, regardless of reason. His fight scenes with Angel (with & against) looked amazing, and I wouldn't change a thing about them.
 
Once I found out that James is 5'9" and David is 6'1" I wondered how it was that Angel often only looked slightly taller than Spike...?

"TGIQ" & "Destiny" are good examples where there are scenes the height difference looks only slight. And look at the photograph in my sig, Angel barely looks an inch taller, nowhere near 4"...
75803208.jpg

A lot of it has to do with camera angles, especially in close ups. They can get a closer shot if the two actors, whoever they might be, when they are more face-to-face than face-to-belt buckle. If you notice, there are several scenes in Seasons 4 and 5 where Sarah and Marc Blucas do basically the same thing. They will be standing somewhere talking, and he will only appear to be a few inches taller than her, even though he's 6'2" as opposed to her 5'1"
 
A lot of it has to do with camera angles, especially in close ups. They can get a closer shot if the two actors, whoever they might be, when they are more face-to-face than face-to-belt buckle. If you notice, there are several scenes in Seasons 4 and 5 where Sarah and Marc Blucas do basically the same thing. They will be standing somewhere talking, and he will only appear to be a few inches taller than her, even though he's 6'2" as opposed to her 5'1"

Yup, this what I always thought. It was similar in The X Files. Gillian Anderson is tiny in comparison to Duchovny. Plus in photoshoots, as someone else said, perspective is easy to play with. I know that with Anderson and Duchovny she was usually always standing ahead of him as opposed to being next to him and he'd stand with his legs further apart etc.

Camera's can do all sorts of things. They made McKellan look like twenty feet taller than Elijah Wood...😛
 
Taake
Taake
well now you just broke my lil true believin' LOTRs heart ;P
Now I wanna bitch about how James destroyed the intergrity of the character of whatever when making him taller in Ats season 1, but I realize I should probably spend my time doing homework instead. I need to get a life.
 
B
Buffyverse Fan
Well look at it this way, Spike had an inferiority complex with Angel(us) up until post-"Destiny" really. So it kind of works.
Buffyverse Fan agrees: Well look at it this way, Spike had an inferiority complex with Angel(us) up until post-"Destiny" really. So it kind of works.

I think I misspoke, because second thought? That seems so Spike-ish, to wear lifts. Of course, I wonder if he would have dared to, just in case Angel had found out and been able to tease him forever.

I'd love it if Spike said: "He wears lifts, you know" because it was actually he that wore them.
 
white avenger
white avenger
Maybe Angel DID find them and started wearing them himself, just to humiliate Spike more.
I think I misspoke, because second thought? That seems so Spike-ish, to wear lifts. Of course, I wonder if he would have dared to, just in case Angel had found out and been able to tease him forever.

I'd love it if Spike said: "He wears lifts, you know" because it was actually he that wore them.

Hahaha. Now that you mention it, Joss probably found out and thought that line would be a funny poke @ James.

It's also funny that Angel was the only character who was sensitive about his height (remember how upset he was that Groo was taller than him 😛 )
 
crazysoulless
crazysoulless
Angel comparing his height to Groo was so cringe-worthy. I rolled my eyes at how immature they were making Angel as he mooned after Cordelia.
white avenger
white avenger
Not just sensitive about his height. Remember how he reacted when he found out that Spike had his soul back
A lot of it has to do with camera angles, especially in close ups. They can get a closer shot if the two actors, whoever they might be, when they are more face-to-face than face-to-belt buckle.

Sorry, but I specifically pointed out TGIQ & Destiny. Camera angles can't do anything when it's a straightforward shot and they're literally standing shoulder-to-shoulder (which they are in many scenes in TGIQ). I have to go with what Kean says, because even though David is abnormally broad, and James is especially compact with a 4" diff to boot, their size difference doesn't look as big as it should.
 
Seeing him in real life is the weirdest thing.. he is so tiny.. but I think his personality just hides it all!
 
S
Skytteflickan88
It's true, he's tiny. I'm 5'8 and was kinda disapointed. Spike always seemed to large on the show, surrounded by short women. In real life, James more... human, lol.
crazysoulless
crazysoulless
Well, I'm a short woman so it works out! I need a Spikebot. :(
Sorry, but I specifically pointed out TGIQ & Destiny. Camera angles can't do anything when it's a straightforward shot and they're literally standing shoulder-to-shoulder (which they are in many scenes in TGIQ). I have to go with what Kean says, because even though David is abnormally broad, and James is especially compact with a 4" diff to boot, their size difference doesn't look as big as it should.

Sorry, but I said A LOT of it has to do with camera angels, not everything. Maybe James got it put in his contract that he had to be shown as being taller than he really was as a stipulation to his coming onto Angel's show. Or maybe David has been lying about his real height for all these years, and he just forgot to wear HIS lifts all the time.
 
B
Buffyverse Fan
"a lot" of people using the pseudonym "white avenger" are toothless racists :)
white avenger agrees: Maybe Angel DID find them and started wearing them himself, just to humiliate Spike more.

Oh, how wicked! I don't think Angel would be that petty, but who knows.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

white avenger agrees: Of course he would be that petty. Besides, that would have been Angelus, not Angel, I just accidentally left the "us" foo of his name.

I agree, Angelus would. I assumed you meant Angel, who I believe wouldn't.
 
white avenger
white avenger
Of course he would be that petty. Besides, that would have been Angelus, not Angel, I just accidentally left the "us" foo of his name.
Comments on this post
Buffyverse Fan agrees: "a lot" of people using the pseudonym "white avenger" are toothless racists 🙂

Please be assured that, while there once was a racist on the net who called himself the White Avenger, it was not me, and I would find the idea of being called a racist both offensive and insulting if I thought for a second that you might be accusing me of any such thing. Also slightly comical, but since you don't know me, the joke is totally lost on you.

And let me assure you that I am in possession of all of my teeth, so obviously if you were referring to me, you would be completely wrong on both counts.
 
Comments on this post
Buffyverse Fan agrees: "a lot" of people using the pseudonym "white avenger" are toothless racists 🙂

Please be assured that, while there once was a racist on the net who called himself the White Avenger, it was not me, and I would find the idea of being called a racist both offensive and insulting if I thought for a second that you might be accusing me of any such thing. Also slightly comical, but since you don't know me, the joke is totally lost on you.

And let me assure you that I am in possession of all of my teeth, so obviously if you were referring to me, you would be completely wrong on both counts.

I wasn't referring to you, that was my point. I opened this thread, and all the response were aimed at my OP except for yours (apparently; according to your post anyway). I just made a random statement, just as you did :giggle:
 
Back
Top Bottom