• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Icon tutorial: colouring

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Okay, so I gave it my own shot. To those of you using Gimp, if you had trouble with Multiply, try using Hue instead, I found it worked better for my image but maybe that's just me. I used Hue for everything except the shirt, for that I used Overlay. When I had all of my layers done, I turned the opacity down to 70 on all of them before adding background :)

-------->

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Okay, so I gave it my own shot. To those of you using Gimp, if you had trouble with Multiply, try using Hue instead, I found it worked better for my image but maybe that's just me. I used Hue for everything except the shirt, for that I used Overlay. When I had all of my layers done, I turned the opacity down to 70 on all of them before adding background :)

-------->
But were you using a b&w image or were you using a color image on the left? If you were using B&W then gimp works a lot differently than PS. What you did, and how you did it, seems like you were using a color image as the basis though. So you would do it differently as you were not adding color but altering color.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
But were you using a b&w image or were you using a color image on the left? If you were using B&W then gimp works a lot differently than PS. What you did, and how you did it, seems like you were using a color image as the basis though. So you would do it differently as you were not adding color but altering color.
Ah, right, lol, I forgot about the B&W basis, not used to doing that. I'll go do another attempt and come back with the result. Damn me and my weak memory!

Okay, not even halfway through the tutorial and I'm done. I now understand, better than ever, the differences between PS and Gimp; Gradient Mapping does not work the same and I'm about to pull my hair out...

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Okay, this time I used a B&W base and tried to incorporate some of the stuff from the tutorial, but mostly I just winged it :)

------------>

Spanky
Spanky
That looks well and truly winged.
Grace
Grace
So cool!
GwenRaiden
GwenRaiden
Looks really good!! I love the crop too. Nice one.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Okay, not even halfway through the tutorial and I'm done. I now understand, better than ever, the differences between PS and Gimp; Gradient Mapping does not work the same and I'm about to pull my hair out...
This was me. I just started willy nilly creating gradients nothing made sense anymore lol.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Ooh everyone's stuff looks great, this is something I've really wanted to learn so when I'm off work I'll be sure to try. Any hair-loss due to the process and me being unable to read instructions without extreme frustration will be posted along with the finished product.

Top Bottom