1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Rank the Season 4 Episodes

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by Samuel Reyes, May 16, 2015.

1. Forever Spuffy

Forever Spuffy shiny beads and sweet talk

I know I can't believe I forgot that one. Giles was hilarious as a demon. When he chases Maggie Walsh, I about peed myself and Spike is spot on as usual.

2. DeadlyDuo

DeadlyDuo Scooby

You actually briefly hear Spike laughing when Giles get back in the car. Shame we didn't get more scenes like that between the two.

3. Forever Spuffy

Forever Spuffy shiny beads and sweet talk

I know I rewound that scene over a dozen times. It was so funny. JM must have been cracking up during the take and they just kept it. :D

DeadlyDuo likes this.
  4. Scooby Corps

Scooby Corps Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!

1. Restless
    2. Fear, Itself
    3. Something Blue
    4. Wild At Heart
    5. The Initiative
    6. This Year's Girl
    7. Hush
    8. Who Are you?
    9. The Freshman
    10. Beer Bad
    11. New Moon Rising
    12. Primeval
    13. The Yoko Factor
    14. Pangs
    15. The I in Team
    16. Doomed
    17. A New Man
    18. Goodbye Iowa
    19. The Harsh Light of Day
    20. Where the Wild Things Are
    21. Living Conditions
    22. Superstar

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  5. Puppet

Puppet Strong like an Amazon

Black Thorn
    Phew, this definitely a humdinger of a rankings list. Being that S4 is my least favorite season, after the top five it got more difficult to pick out what was better than the rest, lol. You'll find, based on this list, that my issues with S4 are all about the Initiative and, secondly, Riley Finn.

22. Goodbye Iowa. I barely remember what this one is about, despite never skipping it when I do a rewatch of S4. Is this the one with Biley in Willy's? Where they discover that Maggie is dead? Hmm, could be. Pretty sucky still, if that's the case. *sigh*
    21. The I in Team. The one redeeming factor from this trainwreck of an episode, is Buffy's behavior when inside the Initiative. You go with the lack of respect for authority, B, not like they have earned your respect.
    20. The Initiative. This only outranks the other two because of the Spike scenes. Otherwise, ugh, all around.
    19. Doomed. All around, it's a mess. From the patheticness that is Spike, a usually bad-ass character, to annoying mic issues whenever Giles speaks, to the overall plot of it, super weak. I did enjoy the 'return to high school' thing, and Xander stepping in some mayor meat. It may have had its moments, but that does not save it from such a low spot, not even close.
    18. The Freshman. If you've read my other rankings, you know I don't like season openers. This may have been the weakest since When She Was Bad, imo, but it's saved from the bottom spot by Sunday, a fun MotW villain, and all of Giles' scenes.
    17. Where the Wild Things Are. I may not be a Bangel fan, but at least it didn't nauseate me to the extend of the Biley scenes in this one. Yes, it was technically a spell, but still. Just ugh. The Spike/Anya parts were funny, and I did enjoy the Willow/Tara parts as well, but, again, it's not enough to save it. What comes close is the Giles parts, with the singing and Xander realizing that his friends find him hot, even the very gay Tara is impressed.
    16. Primeval. Without a doubt, this is the only 'season finale' (since technically it can be argued that Restless is more an epilogue than a finale) to have such a low spot of all the seasons. If anything, it might have worked better had they made this and Yoko Factor a two-parter, like Becoming and GD before. Since we're supposed to look at it as a standalone, however, it ranks low for me. Some of my favorite parts are the elevator hugs, Spike 'saving' the day to save his own ass, and Sineya!Buffster turning bullets into doves.
    15. Superstar. I always loved Jonathan, whether he was a small character in S3 or one of the 'villains' in S6, so I actually genuinely enjoy this outing. Similar, and yet not, to the Wish, we look at an alternate reality where Jonno is the best at everything he does. But then Betty...sorry, I mean, Buffy, has to take control and yet feel entirely like a fish outta water. In the end he comes through, though, and I always loved that part. Plus the whole scene with Tara having spent the night in a closet is just...phew. "Buffy, it's Jonathan." Worried Willow is the best Willow!
    14. Beer Bad. We recently had a discussion about this episode over on my fanfic community, and it was discovered that a lot of fans actually really like and enjoy this episode, I'm definitely one of them. I don't feel like it deserves to be one of the lowest rated, tbh. Cave!Buffy is charmingly hilarious, the Parker thing is put to death, finally, and in a funny way no less. Willow gets to be a hero, in a way, for her heroine friend, and delve shortly out of her Oz grief. Xander and Giles' dialogue when they find Buffy in her room is priceless. Oh and let's not forget. "Fire bad. Bad, bad fire. What am I saying?"
    13. Wild at Heart. I'm one of many who enjoys Willow with either Oz or Tara, so it was a very emotionally moving episode to witness them falling apart for reasons that had been building since Phases. Veruca was a shitty character and played stiffly by her actress, but the rest was worthy of its spot on the list. It also holds one of my favorite, serious, quotes of the series. "Don't you love me?" "My whole life...I've never loved anything more."
    12. Living Conditions. IMO, this shoulda been the season opener, it was much stronger than The Freshman, plot wise, character wise, villain wise, dialogue wise, just all around. I really enjoyed the byplay between Buffy and Kathy, I loved the scene where Xander and Oz realize that they didn't tighten the ropes enough. Stellar episode for an otherwise weak season. "On the plus side, you killed the bench, which was looking shifty." That quote alone saves the episode for me :D
    11. This Year's Girl. As often happens with two-parters, the first one ranks much lower than the second. The strongest parts of this one, for me, are the Faith parts. Her dreams, waking up, realizing the mayor lost, watching the video he left behind, and then the final battle against Buffy. The rest was weak in comparison.
    10. New Moon Rising. It was really nice to get closure on the Willow/Oz relationship, had we not had this one I don't think we could have appreciated Tara as much. A lot of fans would probably have felt like she was an intruder on Willow, because we loved her with Oz. But it was the perfect ending to a romance that was, mostly, beautiful. The parts with Spike and ADAM were also enjoyable, but I didn't like Riley showing his speciest true colors, which is probably part of why it's not higher.
    9. Restless. I don't find this quite as stellar as a lot of you do, but I guess I just feel like the metaphorical aspects are a little too heavy-handed. One of the writers strengths is metaphor, but putting so much of it into one forty-minute episode? Gets tiring, really quickly. Other than that, I enjoyed it, and the hindsight really puts this higher than if this rating had come right after watching it for the first time.
    8. The Harsh Light of Day. The re-introduction of Spike was awesome, the fact that he was with Harmony made me crack up; I did not expect to see her again after GD, especially not as a vampire. Perhaps the only thing that puts this so low, is the Buffy/Parker thing. At the same time, I get what the plot was doing there, so while I don't like it, I don't despise it as much as some fans do.
    7. A New Man. We so rarely get Giles-centric episodes, especially in later seasons, and to have one that also heavily features both Spike and Buffy's daughter-like worry for him? Golden, imo. The way he slowly descends into the madness of a Fyarl, the return of Rayne, even Riley is likable in this one. Definitely earned its spot on this list, love it. The Buffy-Birthday-Curse strikes again!
    6. Pangs. A starving and desperate Spike shows up on the Watcher's doorstep. Xander has been cursed with syphilis, to name one. Angel is back and skulking in the shadows. The MotW causes dissension in the ranks. Even the Broodster is enjoyable in this. Very little not to love about this one, imo. We don't have Thanksgiving where I'm from, so I tend to ignore that part of it, not understanding the importance of that holiday.
    5. Fear, Itself. Now we're getting to the only ones that were easy for me to pick. The themes that go on in the background of this is why it's in the fifth spot. It can easily be overlooked as silly or cheesy or unimportant in the scheme of things, but I don't agree. All of the fears that the gang have are brought up later in the series, the first being Oz's just a few episodes later. Willow's fear of losing control with her magic, Buffy's fear that she will be all alone in the end, like a Slayer is meant to be, even, to an extend, Xander's fear of being ignored, seen as less than to his friends. Not to mention Giles' badass entrance :D
    4. The Yoko Factor. Very little to say against this, if any. I loved the return of Angel, from kicking Riley's ass, to his last words. "And, Riley? I don't like him." This was the closure that Bangel needed and I wish he hadn't shown up again in later episodes; from this point on, the two of them were done, imo. The fight with the Scoobies was enlightening and entertaining, from Tara and Anya sneaking off to hide in the bathroom, to Xander's reaction to Tara being Willow's girlfriend, to Giles falling down drunk. And, of course, the whole Spike working with ADAM thing and the cliffhanger reveal of Riley, which made anyone hate him until they saw the next episode and realized that he didn't go there of his own accord. Very good, all around.
    3. Who Are You? Definitely understand why a lot of you have this at the top 1 or 2 spots, it's magnificent. The acting from SMG and Eliza is stunning, a perfect example of what both are capable of, and the humor is well-placed in with the drama and action. Each actress captures the others character well without turning it into a caricature of that character. Giles excels in his 'babies' rant, lol, and the realization that Faith hates herself is so moving. The only negative here is Riley sleeping with Faith-in-Buffy's-Body, I can't...I just can't...
    2. Something Blue. Now maybe my Spuffy-loving heart is slightly biased, but I feel like you can enjoy it whether you ship Bangel, Spuffy, Biley, or don't ship anything at all. This isn't just so high on the list because of the Spuffy, it is, overall, a stellar outing from the writers, especially considering how weak I see the rest of the season being. Willow's misuse of magic is interesting, though it's not the first time we witness it, the end results are far more damaging than her attempt at a de-lusting spell in S3's Lover's Walk. Giles being blind is both humorous and, if thought about too much, very frightening for the man who depends so much on his sight. Buffy and Spike, not even remotely in like at this point, not to mention in love, acting like some cheesy couple from the worst romcom out there, super hilarious. No offense to others, but this episode did not turn me into a Spuffy fan, at all, it was just too ridiculous to even consider at the time. S5 did that, for me.
    1. HUSH! In my top 5 of all-time favorite episodes for a damn reason, people! The concept was brilliant, but the execution even more so. This is evidence of JW being a freaking genuis and the casting director a really close second, cause these actors all knock it out of the park. I'm not even gonna start a rant, cause then we'll be here all day. I'll just leave you with this; an episode of a TV show that thrives and is famous for its dialogue having little to no dialogue? Sounds sketchy on paper...but in actuality, it is one of the strongest outings of the entire series.

There ya go, my answer. It should get slightly easier from here on out, since this was my least favorite season, but who knows. Next up is S5, my favorite season of all...dammit, that won't be any easier, will it? Just for completely different reasons lol.

Mr Trick likes this.
  6. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy Hello Cutie

Sineya
    What??? Sorry, but I don't think I've heard anything close to any criticism at all on this episode ever. Yes there is a ton of metaphor and symbolism and foreshadowing but if you actually follow it all and can be described as nothing short of brilliant. I actually agreed with this list overall but that #9 just doesn't make any sense to me.

7. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Well I love it and think its probably in the top five episodes ever. But I can understand why it wouldn't be for everyone. Besides she put it ninth. Its not like it was near the bottom of her list.

Puppet and Fool for Buffy like this.
  8. Living Dead Boy

Living Dead Boy Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss

Black Thorn
    22. Where The Wild Things Are
    21. Goodbye Iowa
    20. Doomed
    19. The I In Team (although that Buffy/Riley fight scene was well done.)
    18. The Initiative
    17. The Yoko Factor
    16. Beer Bad (sorry, Caveman Buffy is dumb, goofy, silly fun to me. :p)
    15. Superstar
    14. The Freshman
    13. Primeval
    12. The Harsh Light Of Day
    11. A New Man
    10. Wild At Heart
    9. New Moon Rising
    8. Pangs
    7. Living Conditions (relatable as hell, and funny all the more because of it.)
    6. This Year's Girl
    5. Fear, Itself
    4. Something Blue
    3. Who Are You?
    2. Hush
    1. Restless (always and forever. I could've sworn there's a song to that.)

9. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Please don't do that again, that song haunted me for so long during the 90s;)