1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Recommended Buffyverse Podcasts

Discussion in 'Inside Out' started by Buffy Summers, Jan 18, 2016.

1. wooble89

wooble89 A Leaf on the Wind

Unfortunately my partner's computer decided to die so despite doing all the work we couldn't record anything this week. Destiny seems determined to remind us we're not chosen ones :p

I'm going to have to watch the episodes again when we can record.... that includes another round of Go Fish *sobs*

2. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I'm amazed that Go Fish doesn't stick in the memory (all be it for all the wrong reasons:D) so that you wouldn't have to watch it again;)

3. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    I just started listening to the Dusted podcasts, really for something to listen to while doing other things, but I got sucked in. There are so many lol

Mr Trick: There good yes, even if they do frustrate me sometimes.
    Fuffy Baith and Mr Trick like this.
  4. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    The Dusted podcasts are cool - the couple has a good give and take, they're funny, their voices are great, but I get really frustrated and upset sometimes with their theories. They either miss the obvious or spend time debating something everybody knows the answer to. In the "Bitch for Emphasis" podcast, for example, the man (Alastair Stephens?) conjectures that Angelus has vestiges of Angel's soul and that he's possessed by a demonic soul. The woman (Lani Diane Rich?) corrects him, but the fact that he believes this despite watching both shows is a bit bewildering. They have a tendency too focus on insignificant details which can be interesting or tiresome. And their episode ranking is very unusual to say the least ;).

The Sunnydale Stacks frustrate me a bit too. Also, the hosts joke around a bit too much and about Buffy unrelated things.

I admit I'm really picky when it comes to podcasts though. I like humor, but I also want a complex, interesting analysis of the episodes. So far I haven't really found a podcast that gives me this. Any suggestions?

5. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    Yes the hosts of Dusted do get real nitpicky sometimes about irrelevant things and will go off topic a bit much. I find that they don't always talk about the things that I wells have mentioned. Don't get me started on their terrible list of episodes. Lol.

That's a bit tricky isn't it. It's hard to do a serious analysis and not have it be boring. People like to have fun and make jokes and speculate the thing is to not get too far off topic and lose focus. Did you listen to The Buffy Rewatch podcast. It's not super in depth analysis either. But there's no list! Lol

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  6. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Agree with you on the flaws. How far are you with the podcast? To be fair I think they've cut out a lot of the needless rambling which the early reviews suffered from, and don't over do the joking around too much. The good thing about listening to a married couple doing a podcast is the chemstry and that it can foster really good in-depth discussions. The downside is that sometimes they enjoy themselves too much and forget they are hosting a podcast;) I tend to approach the show from a very different angle as them. Like in the most recent episode they commented a lot on characters acting differently or inconsistently throughout the episode and certain things not being explained or made clear. To me the characters are sometimes inconsistent because people in everyday life are inconsistent, and I like the show leaves certain things open for the viewer to place their own meanings on it. The rankings are all over the place I agree:D Part the reason for that I think is that unlike most people they consider the later seasons of Buffy to be better than the early ones.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 26, 2016 ---
    I still enjoy the list though. Just because its interesting to hear them debate the various merits of whether an episode should go above another one.

Fuffy Baith and Carrie Hopewell like this.
  7. Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
    I think it's possible. The thing is that most podcasts aren't enough to keep me hooked. A more serious podcast might give you more food for thought and engage you differently.

I watched some episodes of the Angel rewatch (I like Angel more :p). I don't think it was bad at all, but it couldn't keep me interested. I'm picky...

I noticed that about their more recent reviews. I'm not watching all of the episodes. I just watch my favorites or the ones that I want another person's opinion on.

That's true. I love their banter. I also find it funny how when they're ranking the episode sometimes the woman is like "when the show's over I imagine this will still be on my top ten". She did this with Innocence and now that episode is in the top 40 or something :D

I think they approach the episodes differently, from a writer's perspective. They care a lot about the flow of the episode, timing, continuity and details. If there's one badly placed sequence or if there are weird time jumps they'll obsess with it, even though we don't really care. This does gives you a fresh take on the episodes but, like I said, it can get tiresome.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  8. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

On another note Lani replied to my e-mail today so she can do no wrong in my eyes now:p

9. Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
    Really? That's cool! What did you email her about and what did she reply?

10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Actually need to read the e-mail (see I'm playing it all cool:p). I messaged her about tips on storytelling or screenwriting and also sent her a sample of one of my scripts. Will let you know how it goes:) Its impressive that I only message her last night and she got back to me so fast.

Fuffy Baith: I want to read your script!
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  11. Carrie Hopewell

Sineya
    You write? That's great! :D Good luck! Yeah, that was a fast response. Maybe I'll write about some of my frustrations, nicely of course ;)

Mr Trick likes this.
  12. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Well that is a forum for that;)

13. Fuffy Baith

Fuffy Baith 2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member

Sineya
    yea I'm with you on the inconsistent character thing. It only bothers me when it's used as a plot device. Other times it's just people having an odd day or slowly developing into a different person. Yea their love for season 5 is starting to annoy me. But then again I'm bias to season 3. Lol

well with Dusted they make money doing podcasts so they need to appeal to a bigger audience and what you're wanting is a bit more niche. Passion of the Nerd offers a philosophical perspective. Not really sure what else you're looking for. The Angel Rewatch is ok. I wrote in during season 4 but need to start on season 5. The Buffy Rewatch is my favorite though. It's what got me into Buffy podcasts.

14. Priceless

Priceless I am now

Finally listened to an episode of Dusted today. It was ok, but over long. They re-hash the whole episode, which I don't particularly enjoy as it seems redundant. We've all seen the episodes, I don't feel we need them re-told in this way. But they may be aiming the podcast to newer viewers who haven't seen every ep a hundred times :) I definitely couldn't listen to everyone of these, but I might listen to the odd one now and again

15. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

And in the case of Warren in the episode in question, it makes sense because he is a self-obsorbed empty guy who tries to make things right out of desparation once his horrible act has been revealed. I think it is totally consistent with how that sort of weasel would act. Its not that their biased towards S5 just that they really like it;) They did give plenty of love to 3 to so don't think you got short changed on that one;)

Guess it is just because they are very a storytelling background so look at the show very differently from most people. Give it a chance, it might grow on you. I wasn't so keen at first but they really do improve. And now I do find them pretty addictive. They have a fresh insight on the show(s) and bring up some interesting moral questions too.

Priceless: I'll listen to a few more and get back to you :-)
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  16. VisionGuy

VisionGuy Oh Plerr

Great thread.

I absolutely love Dusted. Their episode ranking is puzzling though. Why is Pangs in the top 10 for so long? That episode is meh.

Fuffy Baith: I know right!
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  17. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Well I like it, but yeah top ten is too high. Another puzzling ranking is that Dopplegangland which I believe is currently outside the top ten. That is a top five episode at least for me. And pretty sure that Becoming is lower than the top ten which is even more insane!

I think one reason for their odd rankings is that its a joint list that they have to comprise on.

Fuffy Baith: Dopplegangland is the best!
    Fuffy Baith likes this.
  18. VisionGuy

VisionGuy Oh Plerr

Doppelgangland is definitely Top 10 at least. That's one of the best episodes of the entire show for me. And yeah, a top 10 without Becoming isn't a top 10. That's like the quintessential Buffy episode.

I recently restarted watching Buffy after starting the Dusted podcast and have been compiling my own ranked list and it's harder than I thought it would be.

19. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

It really is. I've been trying to compile my top twenty list. It is hard to decide on certain ones which just don't make the cut.

20. VisionGuy

VisionGuy Oh Plerr

I keep getting stuck on "Wait, do I really like this run of the mill episode more than this season arc pivotal episode?" But it's my own list so I guess that's okay. LOL