• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Season 1: Your views, before and now

Season 1 : Your views, before and now

• Still love it

• Still like it

• Still dislike it

• Still hate it

• Loved it, now like it

• Loved it, now dislike it

• Loved it, now hate it

• Liked it, now love it

• Liked it, now dislike it

• Liked it, now hate it

• Disliked it, now love it

• Disliked it, now like it

• Disliked it, now hate it

• Hated it, now love it

• Hated it, now like it

• Hated it, now dislike it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I picked liked it to now love it. It's the season I enjoy more every time I watch it. It has a gentle charm and comfort to it, where the gang genuinely feel like a family before they start tearing themselves apart.

The Ferg

Scooby
I am utterly blown away by you guys' adoration of this season. I mean, it's really good, but I don't think it comes close to top-tier Whedon TV.

That said, I loved it too. In fact, I used to feel fairly indifferent toward it, but now I've grown to really appreciate the simpler approach to Angel. All of the characters are incredibly interesting and... that's about it. Of course, there's so much to love about this season, but great character growth is really the only noteworthy thing imo.

My biggest problem is that there isn't really a sense of direction until Shanshu. Every episode is just a random one-off. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does leave it lagging behind when compared to AS2, 3, and 5. It might have some of the best episode of the series (City Of, I Will Remember You, Hero, Somnambulist, Five by Five/Sanctuary, and To Shanshu in LA), but it's also got some really bad and boring episode ( Lonely Hearts, Expecting, She, and I've Got You Under My Skin). I guess I just don't feel like there's much to be said... It's just a series of random adventures, and some of them happen to be very high quality. :/

Mylie

Scooby
I just realized that I haven't posted in this thread yet...

I voted liked it, now love it.

I initially though the season was the weakest of the AtS seasons but my rewatch has made me appreciate it a lot more. Part of it is definitely because of how many strong episodes it has but also because I actually enjoy most of the case of the week episodes too. I guess I just really enjoy this version of Angel Investigations and how you can see them slowly become a family. The season has impeccable characterization and I think that even though they didn't have a seasonal arc, looking back at it, I do feel like the season makes sense as a whole. I guess it's a season that leaves me satisfied and when it comes to this show the only other time this happens is season 2. It wasn't too ambitious but still managed to leave a mark because of some extremely memorable episodes. The nostalgia factor is also strong with this season...

Out for a walk

5 Words Or Less...
I don't really remember many Angel episodes. I honestly don't think I have ever rewatched them. After I am done rewatching Buffy, I am going to watch Angel again. So I will come back and make my judgment then. ;)

Antho

Scooby
I do a small summary of my opinion on this season :

The + :

- The characters and their evolutions: Angel, Cordy, Wesley,
- Crossovers with Buffy : They are clearly part of the best episodes of the season,
- Los Angeles, very good choice of city. Beautiful scenery, good atmosphere,
- Wolfram and Hart: Lilah, Lyndsey, Holland, that beautiful charismatic wicked,
- Gunn, I like him,
- The generic/opening credit. I absolutely love the song !

The +/- :

- Kate: I do not hate her, only the treatment of this character drags a bit in length,
- Too many stands alones that I liked quite well because they had an interesting background but the form leaves to be desired ("She" "Expecting" "War Zone"),
- The death of Doyle : It made me cry to lose him but what his death entails was worth it.

The - :

- Too much episode, the series would have won to reduce to 12 episodes as for season 1 of BTVS. The absence of continuity would be less felt.
- Some stand alone are really weak, intrigues little exciting,
- A season too uneven for my taste,
- A really passable writing at times,
- The Spin Off has a lot of trouble getting emancipated from the mother series (Buffy).

I vote "Still like it" !

Kratos

Potential
I voted “Liked it, now love it”. It’s a pretty solid introductory season, even though it’s kinda rough. Most episodes are either good or great. She was the only ep I didn’t care much for.

spikenbuffy

"The big bad is back, and you will aaaggggg"
I still like it but not that much compared to S2,3,4 & 5 which I love.

There's mostly amazing episodes in second half of S1 starting at Five By Five to the end of S1, this is where ATS started to become really interesting for me. The first half has amazing episodes like City Of, In The Dark and Parting Gift.
The other episodes of S1 that I haven't mentionned are good (IWRY, The Prodigal, Hero) and plenty of bad (She, Eternity....).

Besides I don't find the characters (Doyle...) really interesting nor the dynamics/relationships compared to the other seasons of ATS apart of Wesley (Who is good and kinda funny :D). I kinda feel that something is missing in S1 of ATS IDK. And I would have liked to have much more moments of W&H as an enemy. Plus there's too much not interesting MOTW episodes.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
My vote is liked it, now love it.

It took me a while to get to Angel. I had only seen odd episodes of s4 on TV before hiring the series dvds, so in comparrison to what I had seen on tv by that point s1 was a welcome surprise. Much like Buffy, it set up for a brilliant s2 (which is my fave from both shows)

Nix

Evil Nix 😈
Sineya
Still love it... one of my fav seasons... Doyle! I cried so hard that weekend after seeing Hero!! Really I did!! Such a woosey hopeful romantic underneath the pvc!

DagonSphere

Potential
I prefer the later seasons, because I think Whedon shows are better when Joss has an ensemble where the characters can bounce each other off. I do still like season one though, some really fun stand-alones, but also some of the worst episodes of the series.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
I've always loved Angel's first season. Its small cast and tiny office give it a nice humble feel. While I don't care much for Kate or her interaction with Angel, I do enjoy a handful of the episodes she appears in (Lonely Hearts and Sanctuary stand out). My favourite episodes would have to be Five By Five and Sanctuary, mainly for the intense action of the first episode, and the interesting character drama of the second. Overall, Season 1 is probably my second favourite of the show (behind 5).

telperion66

Potential
Angel as a show gets better with age, with the exception of season 5 and the end of season 4 which were disasters. There's just something great about each season to cherish as time goes by. I used to like BTVS more than Angel, but Buffy's immaturities annoy me more as I get older. Every season of Angel has something great about it, especially compared to modern television, which frankly, sucks. Angel as a show truly stands the test of time, with aplomb.

Black Thorn
My favourite character was Doyle, plus I liked to see Cordelia change and see Angel gain a personality so yeah, I love season 1

Btvs fan

Scooby
I like it but don't love it.

The first half of the season until Sonambulist is not great imo. It's that episode that shows what kind of show it could be. But from Prodigal it kicks into high gear while Buffy fell off a cliff when Lindsay Crouse left the show

Last edited:

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
Again, I haven't watched AtS in forever, but here's another hilarious video that I found:

Camera pulls back to reveal Spike watching them from a rooftop above them.

Spike in high voice: “How can I thank you, you mysterious, black-clad hunk of a night thing? (low voice) No need, little lady, your tears of gratitude are enough for me. You see, I was once a badass vampire, but love and a pesky curse defanged me. Now I’m just a big, fluffy puppy with bad teeth. (Rachel steps closer to Angel, and Angel steps back warding her off with his hands) No, not the hair! Never the hair! (high voice) But there must be someway I can show my appreciation. (low voice) No, helping those in need’s my job, - and working up a load of sexual tension, and prancing away like a magnificent poof is truly thanks enough! (high voice) I understand. I have a nephew who is gay, so… (low voice) Say no more. Evil’s still afoot! And I’m almost out of that Nancy-boy hair-gel that I like so much. Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away!”

Cohen

Warrior
I remember seeing the first episode, aired right after “The Freshman” and being SO excited to see Angel on its own. Of course, I was 10, and yearned for a cool “hero” that wasn’t a girl (at that time I was also obsessed with Buffy and Charmed). Angel on his own was 1000x better than when he was on Buffy. This was before the internet was a big thing, so I didn’t know Charisma was going to be on it, so I was visibly SHOOK when Angel ran into Cordy at the party (I think I missed the teaser and opening on the first airing).

Then my affiliate lost the WB for about a month so my next episode I saw was Rm w/ a Vu. I was legit frightened during the ghost scene. And then every episode kept getting better and better, culminating with the best 5-episode run of the series (Five by Five through To Shanshu in LA). They built so much up in those last 5 episodes, it carried the show through 4 more years.

So yeah, I picked “still love it”

Top Bottom