• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

The Dark Age: Through the Looking Glass

Mesektet Ra

a walking insurrection.
Drusilla

Drusilla, during the course of her shaking and screaming, had crawled back out into the living room. She sat in front of the fireplace, her arms curled around her middle.

She closed her eyes, Miss Samantha held tightly against her chest.

The Bad Ones were laughing. The dark witch, her hair the color of nightshade, leaned provocatively against the light witch with her sunshine hair.

Drusilla curled deeper in a ball at the sight her mind showed her. She was a good girl, after all. Grandmummy said so, and so had Daddy, all that time ago...

And there he was - Angel, with the dark little Slayer, whispering.

He used to whisper to Drusilla a long time ago...too long. And then the witch had given him his...his...

"His soul," she whispered, shaking like a leaf. Tears sprang to her eyes. "Grandmummy, come home to me."

But Darla was already on her way. She could feel it in her bones - she could feel the weight of the dead Anya as she ran, and Drusilla's demon roared along with Darla's as the sun rose.

Seconds later, Darla burst through the curtains and unceremoniously dropped the body of Anya on the ground.

Darla's soft voice called out to her. Drusilla, stricken, rolled over, her hand striking a patch of uncovered sunlight.

She yelped, pulling her hand in close. "I saw the Evil Ones," she said softly, her knees pulled into her chest. "I saw them kill the Anya demon, 'Mummy." Drusilla let her singed hand float in the air, waving of it's own accord. She didn't look up from her lap, where tears freely stained her nightgown. "And Daddy, and the Slayer..."

Sensing something, Drusilla looked up sharply. She saw the familiar sight of raw, burned flesh peeking out from Darla's dress. "'Mummy, you're all hurt!" She exclaimed, leaning over again. Her fingers danced on the edges of the bright shards of sunlight. "Can I help?"

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
Oz

As the dawn cracked through the night, Oz shook off his wolf pelt and rose to two legs, quickly hopping into the van to cover his nakedness. The van was almost big enough for him to stand upright in, and he got dressed slowly. He threw himself into the fat, low couch he'd wrestled into the back of the van to put on his socks and shoes. He checked the dashboard clock. It was just past 6 AM. Class didn't start for two more hours.

As always, he considered not going, but the mundane people of the world would frown on it. If he ever wanted to get out of this town legitimately--without his parents or a truant officer coming after him--he had to finish college. No matter how much of a hell it was.

He buried his head in his hands. He didn't want to do this. He didn't want to see these people, listen to their harping about joining their team, with us or against us, pick a side, pick a side, blah blah blah. He really didn't want to see Willow, who he'd misjudged so badly the first time he'd met her. She could still make him feel all melty inside, and it was a wrong feeling, but his insides didn't care.

With a sigh, he snuggled down onto the couch to catch a quick nap before he had to leave for school. With any luck, he'd manage to avoid the Scoobies today. That was all he could really hope for these days.

bufsum

Keeper of the Books
Xander

Xander decided he would make an appearance at UC Sunnydale. The night wore heavy on him, and he was determined to enjoy the day ahead of him. The monotony of his life was catching up to him. Plot during the day, and hunt at night… and occasionally a nightly romp with a sweet young thing… and repeat. If only Cordelia would show some sign of obligation, of trust. He needed something he could sink his preverbal teeth into.

Maybe I can find Oz, devise a kick ass plan to blow the goodlies away. That boy’s underrated! And besides… he seems to be keeping to himself lately... hardly ever around for our nighttime fun.

“And too bad, when he’s a wolfer, he’s such a beast.”

::Xander walked through the school, making his way to his first class::

He had British Lit, a class he had skipped more often than he’d attended. However, he shared it with Oz… and was curious for werewolf details of the night before.

::He took his seat, back left corner… and waited for Oz to arrive::

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
Oz

British Literature. Be still, my heart.

Though the thought was sarcastic, Oz rather enjoyed the class. It was interesting to learn about ancient mythologies, which were practically the history of his kind and the other crazy things he dealt with on a daily basis. It wasn't so great to have Xander hovering over him, practically breathing in his ear, trying to be the big intimidating manly man.

As if I couldn't tear him to shreds if I felt like it.

Oz quickly clamped down on that thought. That sort of thinking lead to Buffy and her ilk. He didn't want to be bad--well, not evil, anyway. But he wasn't sure he could be good.

He snuck into the classroom behind a herd of giggly girls, hoping he would be noticed, and slunk to his seat in the back.

Joyce Summers

Mom of a Chocoholic
Buffy

::Class, Giles, Class, Giles, Class, Giles...okay this whole decision making thing could go on for like ever. The sort that never ended. She guessed that was the regular kind of forever::

Okay, go to class and get bored out of my skull by Shakespeare or Marie Antoinette or whatever the hell it is we're meant to be studying. OR go to the library for Watcherly check-in which has a slightly less boredom factor. Unless he starts talking about his new books again....

::Less boredom factor won. She'd go to Giles::

"Oh shoot"

::He'd probably wanna know how last night went. Extra detailiness on the Anyanka sitch.Or just the sitch in general. She looked over at the clock on the wall above the corridor and considered the time. Half past eight in the morning? Way too early for detail check-in. At least in class she could catch some Zzz's. Class it is. She marched off in the direction of...erm...::

"To where am I marching?"

::Her class schedule was...somewhere in her room. Or in the trash. Filed under all parents' famous 'You didn't move it so I assumed it was waste paper' category. So she was up the class creek without a paddle...or schedule...or a textbook on cannoing...nyeh, she'd never been that good with metaphors. No problem. She'd just wait in the hall. Will would no doubt show up soon and lead the way to all things teacherly and lesson-y. Unless Snyder caught up with Buffy first. Not likely though; he never noticed any student until he'd had his morning coffee. Years of observation and trial and error had taught her this. She walked down to the main corridor, to where Willow would be more likely to walk past, and on her way saw a girl reading from a magazine in one of the front lounge seats::

"Hey, you done with that?"

::She smoothly snatched it from the girls hands before she could protest and walked on with it to her Waiting for Will place. Also known as the corridor wall::

"Ooh, Cosmo, I haven't read this one"

Eyebrow waxing with leftover candle wax? Ow much?

bufsum

Keeper of the Books
Xander

Xander perked up as he saw Oz enter the room. He passed a group of girls, and gave them a look like he might tear them apart.

That would cause quite a party.

Maybe it was his imagination, but Oz seemed irritated this morning. But, really"¦ Xander could never tell what Oz was thinking. He was a mystery to the entire group; especially since Willow went all homosexual, and dumped Oz"¦ like well"¦ a dog.

Xander thought this was a big downer, at least with Oz around Xander felt like he could relate to another male, who had a pulse.

Maybe he just needs a bit of prodding"¦ like cattle prod little"¦

::Xander gave an exaggerated nod hello::

Oz: Hey, man. I was hoping you'd show. You missed some big fun last night. We could have used your"¦ skills.

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
Oz

As eye contact was made, Oz suppressed a wince and a recoil.

So much for not being noticed.

He supposed completely ignoring Xander wasn't a good idea, though; if he felt snubbed, he might go whining to Buffy, who would then kick Oz's ever-loving ass, wolf or no wolf.

It's all her fault, he thought. None of these people would have the impetus for real evil if they didn't have the Slayer backing them up and egging them on. Well . . . maybe Angel would, but Xander definitely not.

Xander: Really?

Hoping that would be enough, he continued slide down in his seat until his eyes were level with the top of the head of the girl who sat in front of him. It didn't take much; she was a good five-foot-six.

bufsum

Keeper of the Books
Xander

Sensing that he wasn't going to get much out of the wolf Xander nodded again.

Oz: Look, why don't you come to the library after class"¦ it's been awhile since we've hung. Besides, the Scoobies miss you.

::Xander smiled to himself::

Oz: Cordy was talking about you the other day, I know she misses you, and with the"¦ skills, and all.

Xander knew that Oz wouldn't respond with a soliloquy, but he was hoping he'd grunt yes. The group had another strategy session loosely planned for the afternoon. Xander planned on battening down for several hours with Giles. His Ripper stories really had a rebel without a cause vibe, and gave a normal guy like him hope.

Besides, maybe if we have guy bonding time Oz will start hanging around more.

Xander had spent a lot of time talking to baddies of the underground (they were great sources, after they stopped wanting to rip is innards out), and it gave him a plethora of ideas on how to defeat the white hats. The way he figured it is if he had both Giles and Oz backing him up the group would have to hear him out.

He looked at the clock, watching the seconds tick by until the bell released them from his holding cell.

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
As much as Oz disliked being anywhere near these individuals--let alone a group, he knew he wouldn't be able to avoid it forever. And, heck, who knew, he might be able to figure out what they were doing so that if he did actually pick a side, he'd at least know what was going on.

I'd so much rather be a normal person than a monster, he thought. Especially when being a monster comes with choices like this.

He gave Xander a grunt of assent and slid just a little bit further down in his chair.

bufsum

Keeper of the Books
Xander

::Xander entered the library with Oz in tow::

As he had expected it was empty, except for Giles who was bent over a large volume. He seemed to be whispering to it.

Probably working up something particularly nasty.

There was a time when Giles only did his evil deeds by the cloak of night. He would stay at his post well into the night, raising hell. However, after Jenny Calendar’s death he had gotten more reckless. Funnily enough no one bothered to bat an eye. It seemed that the students of UC Sunnydale had no problem avoiding the school library like the plague. Xander had heard rumors flying in the halls concerning Giles, and his strange behavior. These rumors pegged him to be the anti-Christ, a vengeful old warlock, and simply mad. Xander had no problem reporting to Buffy, and having her stick up for Giles… and soon after that he didn’t hear much complaining.

It always amazed Xander what caught the citizen’s attention, and what flew under the radar. For example, the Scoobies continued to move up in school, despite their obvious lack of attendance and school work. Giles had seen to that, and the Scoobies never questioned it… and neither did anyone else. He knew that students spoke about how they were weird, mean, and frequently bunkered down in the library… yet no one looked into their comings and goings. The town had adopted an air of silence and fear.

::Xander took a deep breath::

Whatever Giles was doing was resulting in the library smelling coppery and slightly like incense, though he didn’t see any burning.

Oz and Giles: I love the smell of death before lunch.

Giles gave a brief nod of hello, and turned back to his book. Xander grabbed a book off of the shelf, and turned it open to page 314. He turned to Oz, and smiled.

Oz: It’s a good that you’re here. Check this out.

::He passed the book to Oz, so he could read the passage that Xander had taken liberty to mystically highlight (with the assistant of Giles)::

The spell had been locked away in one of Giles’ darkest books.

It was a detailed invisibility spell that would not only grant the Scoobies invisibility to the White Hats, but it would leave them undetectable to Drusilla. It essentially stored the spell-makers essence in another dimension until a powerful force can restore it. When Xander first discovered the spell, he brought it to Giles’ attention. After several hours Giles agreed that everyone should find the spell productive. Then he cursed himself for not remembering about the spell himself.

Angel will love it.

With one word Willow would be able to reveal the group, and they will fight.

Oz: Pretty fu****** awesome, huh?

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Darla

:: Darla lay on the floor of the living room, the cold stone seeping into her body, soothing the burns she had endured.

:: Drusilla was hovering over her, and Darla could sense her unease, her unhappiness at both Anyanka's death and her grandmother's injuries.::

She always was so sensitive.

:: Darla forced herself to sit up, wincing as her dress, which had stuck to the burns on her back, began to pull and seperate the healing skin.

::She smiled tightly at Drusilla.:;

Drusilla: "Dru, sweetie, get me something to clean these wounds."

::But Drusilla was staring at the body of Anyanka, lying not five feet from where they sat, her lifeless face staring at them.::

Drusilla: "She neds to be buried. She deserves respect, and it's all we can give her now. Our respect."

:: Darla glanced back at the curtains and the muted sunlight that leaked through.

::She swallowed hard and took a deep breath.::

Drusilla: "Where is Glory?"

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
Glory

Darla: 'Well, I prefer "Your Most Beneficent Highness," actually. What's all the noise? I was getting my beauty sleep you know?'

::Glory strode into the room, not looking in the least like she had just woken up. Perfect hair, perfect make-up, looking immaculate in a tiny pink dress with killer heels.::

Darla and Drusilla: "˜So, where's "little-miss-really-needs-to-moisturize?" I didn't hear her come back last ni"¦.'

::Her eyes fell on the body lying sprawled on the cold stone floor::

Anyanka: "˜Hey. Anyanka? Annie?'

::She took in the scene in it's entirety for the first time. Her mind raced as she saw Drusilla crying pathetically and clutching her doll; Darla's body covered in horrific burns, her beautiful dress stained horribly with blood; and Anyanka's lifeless corpse, calling to her for a final act of vengeance and justice against those monsters that murdered her.::

::Fury and grief rose within her. Suddenly she burst into a frenzy of action, tugging at her hair and crying out to the room::

Darla and Drusilla: "˜I hate this place! This town! This whole frickin' dimension! The pain is too much"¦It's"¦It's everywhere!'

::Turning, she slammed a tiny fist into a wall, sending cracks racing through the solid stone. Breathing heavily, she slowly regained her composure.::

Drusilla: "˜Shhh"¦shhh"¦it's ok. Grandmummy's wounds will heal up fine. Glory's here.'

::She took the vampire into her arms, soothing her. Looking over Drusilla's shoulder straight at Darla she asked the question::

Darla: "˜What's the plan?'

VisionGuy

Oh Plerr
Cordelia

Cordelia walked down the halls of UC Sunnydale thinking about the vision she had the night before and what it could possibly mean. Everyone was asking about it but she decided to tell them it was some sort of brain freeze from the iced mocha she had earlier that night. As usual, they didn't ask questions. Keeping the visions to herself was for the best because Cordelia doesn't want to have any special ability to contribute to the scoobies. If she did, then she would have to accept that this in fact was her life. As she walked into the library, she overheard Xander talking to Oz about some invisiblity spell.

Xander: "So I guess GI Joe is trying to add spellcasting to his long list of attributes. What's next? You're going to walk on water? Don't you think Willow and her lesbian lover should handle all the hocus pocus?"

Blondie Bear

Zydrate Addict
Oz's initial reaction to Cordelia's entrance was relief. Finally, someone else for Xander to pay attention to. He took a few steps back, attempting to fade into the background, which might have been easier if he'd had his brown hair instead of the bright blond he'd picked a few days ago.

However, when Cordy mentioned Willow and Tara, Oz felt his face tighten up. He couldn't help it; the thought of the two of them still made him uncomfortable and angry. He continued to say nothing, however, waiting for the others to get to the point.

bufsum

Keeper of the Books
Xander

"So I guess GI Joe is trying to add spellcasting to his long list of attributes. What's next? You're going to walk on water? Don't you think Willow and her lesbian lover should handle all the hocus pocus?"

Xander turned to see Cordelia walk in, and wanted to respond with a biting retort, but he knew if he could get Cordy on board he wouldn't be so anxious.

Cordelia: Hey babe, we're just going over big important evil stuff I'm going to bring up at the meeting. It's just this kick spell that will be the kingpin to demolish the Whiteys; Will and Tara will own it. And, Oz is down for it, right, buddy?

Better not let him say anything, in case he hates it.

Cordelia: I just think it's about time we come up with a plan that doesn't suck, and I am ready to pounce all stealthy-like. Instead of the full frontal attack this is more"¦ better!

Xander turned to Oz, as if expecting a response, and then kept talking.

How can I pitch this in a way where she'll be on board?

Cordelia: And did I mention that you'll be able to inflict some major damage? We'll all be invisible, and then"”BAM! We kill them all. That's it... well, essentially that's the short version.

Giles walked out of his office, and greeted the three Scoobies.

Cordelia, Oz, Xander: Hello all. Good to see you, Oz. Xander, I need you to hold the book for me, so I can prepare a brief demonstration.

Xander nodded, and followed Giles into the other room.

Jenny

Scooby
Tara

Tara followed the dark mane of hair that was Cordelia into the library just in time to see Xander and Giles disappear through Giles' office door. She inhaled deeply the smell of old tomes and dust. Tara had grown to love it here, because she loved it here. Her Willow. She flourished in her element.

Cordelia: S-s-so what was the big rush, what's this new plan we're all supposed to be so excited about?

Before Cordelia could reply, Tara got the uncomfortable feeling that she was being watched, and watched hard. Uncomfortable, her mouth twitched as she slowly turned her entire body to find Oz staring right through her.

Great, he just had to be here, thanks to Xander no doubt. I know he's strong, I know he'd be a great allie, but it's so...awkward. And he looks....hungry.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Darla

: Darla watched as Glory went into melt down over Anya's death, but the pain in her injuries prevented her from going to the upset Goddess, and she could only watch as Glory tore at her hair and punched at the wall.::

One day, she really is going to tear this place down.

::Slowly, Glory pulled herself together and turned to look at Darla.::

Darla: ‘What’s the plan?’

:: Darla sighed. Sometimes she hated being the one in charge, the one everyone turned to when things started to wrong. The one everyone turned to when they needed to be told what to do.::

But I don't have all the answers. I don't even have most of the question.

Glory: "Anyanka. She needs a proper burial. I refuse to leave her lying here like a piece of muck they scraped off their shoes. She was our friend, our ally, and she gave up her life trying to find a way out of this war. She was the bravest person I have ever known."

:: Darla looked up at Glory and tried not to let the pain or the humiliation show in her eyes.::

Glory: "If I'd do it myself, I would. But sunlight and third degree burns are too much to handle even for a vampire as old as myself."

::Carefully, Darla pushed herself into a sitting position, wincing as her newly healed skin was ripped open again. She looked at Drusilla, who had returned to staring at the ceiling.::

Glory: "Spike is on one of his unannounced walkabouts. If I can find him, perhaps we can figure out a way to deal with this situation. Buffy and her little band of bloodthirsty hounds cannot get away with this."

VisionGuy

Oh Plerr
As Xander was speaking to her, Cordelia noticed Oz looked a little uncomfortable. She was going to ask what was wrong but she didn't care either way. The same way she didn't care about Xander and his stupid plan.

"Listen Chicken Little, I don't see Buffy getting on board with this plan." She pulled up a chair and sat next to Oz, "You know she loves the thrill of the slaying. If the victim's aren't fighting back, what's the point?"

Tara: "S-s-so what was the big rush, what's this new plan we're all supposed to be so excited about?"

Cordelia rolled her eyes. Ever since her and Willow started dating, Tara has been hanging around like a bad plague. She doesn't know what caused Willow to go lesbo, but whatever floats her boat.

Tara: "Xander has a master plan to kill all the white hats. And guess who he wants to cast that sure fire hit spell."

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
Glory

Glory: "Anyanka. She needs a proper burial. I refuse to leave her lying here like a piece of muck they scraped off their shoes. She was our friend, our ally, and she gave up her life trying to find a way out of this war. She was the bravest person I have ever known."

::Glory nodded silently in reply. She could see Darla's shame in not being able to do even this simple thing, and she felt for her. That was the problem with this plane; so much damn feeling. Her grief was lying deep in her stomach, leaden and numbing; her rage was boiling in her head, her hands, her fingers; and empathy swamped her heart with sorrow.::

"˜How do they do it? Every day, there's so much pain"¦'

::The Goddess usually buried her agony in shopping and clothes. She and Anyanka had shared a love of money: one would earn it, the other spend it. Now, even that escape was stained with innocent blood.::

Darla: "˜I'll do it now.'

::Where Glory came from, she would never have dug a grave. Mostly because there weren't any, but also because there would have been hordes of worshippers lining up to do it for her. But not today. She knew this was something she had to do herself. She knew this was something she wanted to do herself. Leaving Drusilla silently staring at the ceiling, she carefully lifted Anyanka's body in her arms, and carried it outside.::

::Walking slowly around to the back of the mansion in the glare of the cruel, uncaring sunlight, she prepared to bury the body of her best friend. She had been like family. Darla and Drusilla were never as close as Anya. They were young, too young for that. Anya was different. Once you reach 1000, something changes. Placing the body on the grass, Glory lifted a shovel.::

TheHeartist

The BB poster with a soul
Spike

Spike

Watching from the shadows, he saw Glory begin to shovel up the earth in the garden, digging their fallen comrade a grave fit for such a brave soul.

Spike looked down at what he had bought back from his travels with him: a book and a ring. Removing the ring from his pocket, he looked upon it briefly, knowing the power it contained, especially for someone like him. This was not a decision to be taken lightly. Retreating, Spike decided not to reveal himself quite yet. He had something he needed to do first, some planning. He looked once more at the items he had retrieved, hoping that Anya's life was worth it.

'No,' Spike thought to himself ', it will never be worth it. But I have to make it count...'

A surge of guilt rushed through him as he realised that her fate may have been different had he been there to save her.

"No," Spike muttered grimly, a single tear rolling down his cheek ", I make this count. They pay, and they pay big. When they least expect it."

Top Bottom