• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Anyone Speak Canadian?

ckg927

Potential
So...like,take off....to the Great White North! Take off...it's a beauty way to go! TAKE OFF...YOU HOSERS!

That's what I get for overlistening to Bob & Doug McKenzie's song back in the day...:)

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
It's wierd to hear all the "Canadian Speak", although I do have to own up to "eh", "poutine" and.... wait a minute, people don't know what a "touque" is? What else can you call a touque? Besides a hat I suppose but there is a difference, I mean it's a touque! :(

We do eat "chocolate bars" and drink "pop" and attend "Grade 4", to be honest I never really thought of those as anything out of the ordinary. It's so wierd to think how we might say things differently than other ENGLISH speaking areas. We don't say "aboot" though, for the record! It's pronounced about, as in "rhymes with a pig's snout" or "I wish this dang bee would get OUT of my car" ;).

I think the thing that still gets me is when someone from another country gets all their currency changed over and isn't quite sure what a "Looney" or a "Tooney" is. I can't imagine having paper $1 bills, I'd always be tearing or loosing them. Bad enough having 5's, 10's and 20's to worry about!

Or when "colour" is spelt "color" (same with "favourite") that drives me crazy to no end!! Arg!

[/end rant] By the way, I'm Canadian :)

A
Aethra
My friend LOVES poutine. She's going to school in Canada next year, and she plans to eat it alllll the time. She always talks about it, too. Conversations go like this: college -> Canada -> poutine.
T

T.I.P

I like Canada, its came up with South park and Trailer park boys(both amazing) id love to live there.
But anyway,(as mentioned by angelic slayer above) ive always used these so called 'Canadian' words like *eh* and *chocolate bar*, also spell it coloUr, also dont use paper 1's. I dont think these things are Canadian, as much as they are Normal.
But, i DO say abOOt,(well, all Scots do)

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
I'm a Swede, does that count? At least I'm more Canadian than US-ian, right?
There are similarities. 2 northern countries. Both like hockey, and are being pressured by multi-nationals to reform their copyright laws.

Lots of Swedes here from one of the waves of immigration. I like Swedes, but lately they're irking me a little, because a lot of them play for the hockey team I support (go Canucks!), and they seem to go to sleep come playoffs. Just Kidding. Anyway we might get Sundin. He'll wake em up.

Edit

I know Kinslayer, and then there was Forsberg on Colorado during their golden years. Nevertheless, it is convenient to go all Don Cherry, and blame the Swedes. ;) Watch them come over to Van for the 2010 olympics and win the gold medal now. :)

Washburne
Washburne
Red wings rules! Nothing wrong with swedes in the playoffs. ;)

DingOz

Townie
I wish I was Canadian...

I love maple syrup, Canadian bacon, and HOCKEY (Go SJ Sharks)! Nothing's better.

I love calling people "Hoser." when I get the chance, lol.

There are similarities. 2 northern countries. Both like hockey, and are being pressured by multi-nationals to reform their copyright laws.
Yeah, I know I have been thinking that Canada is sort of the mix between The US and Sweden. If I ever moved to America, I think I'd way rather live in Canada than The US. (And I guess if I'm gonna marry Tegan I have to move there, mhm.)

inthedoorway

awesome extraordinaire
I'm a Newfoundlander (more than likely only other Canadians will know where that is), so our speech is a healthy mix of Canadian/English/Irish and gibberish. Seriously.
I'm proud to be a Canadian tho!

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
I'm a Newfoundlander (more than likely only other Canadians will know where that is), so our speech is a healthy mix of Canadian/English/Irish and gibberish. Seriously.
I'm proud to be a Canadian tho!
Take out the Canadian from that language equation and you have the helathy speech we have in Ireland lol

Gibberish is fun:D

inthedoorway

awesome extraordinaire
we've only been a part of Canada for 60 yrs, and before that we were techniqually a part of england, but only sorta kinda.
this is what newfoundlanders sound like:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEhI7EfGPNc"]YouTube - Flat Out[/ame]
you should watch that vid. its hilarious. well, to me anyways.

Kean
Kean
LMFAO...his accent is EXACTLY the same as alot of the fellas I know lol It's weird how somehwere so fa away can have the same accent as the people where I grew up!

inthedoorway

awesome extraordinaire
That is a typical Newfoundland accent.
wikipedia said "Newfoundland English is a name for several dialects of English found in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, often regarded as the most distinctive dialect of English in Canada. Some specific Newfoundland dialects are similar to the accent heard in the southeast of Ireland (See Wexford and Waterford)"
is that close to you Kean?

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
That is a typical Newfoundland accent.
wikipedia said "Newfoundland English is a name for several dialects of English found in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, often regarded as the most distinctive dialect of English in Canada. Some specific Newfoundland dialects are similar to the accent heard in the southeast of Ireland (See Wexford and Waterford)"
is that close to you Kean?
Yup, I'm from Limerick which is about two hours from Waterford. Wexford has a bit more of a twang to it, but it really sounds like a Munster (the province Limerick and Waterford are in) kind of accent. I'm seriously getting a great kick out of this lol

inthedoorway

awesome extraordinaire
yeah its funny. We're an island, and we were isolated from everywhere for a long time, so our accents are still running strong. Its pretty interesting tho that the 2 places are sooo far apart and have similar accents.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
omg, It's nice to see other Canadian around here ;) BTW, I love the accent in the region of Newfounfland. I'm from Ontario, so no big accent, beside the fact that I'm french, so I get that accent lol

-Blaze-

Your Creamy Coolness

Your Scrumptiousness
Yall have legalized Marijuana as well don't you? And universal healthcare! I wish I was a canadian! :) You are loved!

What is the status on Gay people in Canada? Is it no big deal to be "OOOOUT!" (LOL, couldn't resist) I am gay btw so no one get offended!

inthedoorway

awesome extraordinaire
Weed isnt legal yet, but its close.
Universal Healthcare is amazing. US media is constantly trying to say it dosnt work, but dont beleive them, because I would NEVER prefer to have to buy insurence and have to deal with poilicies and 'are you covered?' etc etc. If I get sick or hurt, I go to the hospital, they'll do what they need, usually without any paperwork, and send me on my way. No money exchanges hands and no insurence companies are involved (thank god).
Gay marriage is legal here.

Top Bottom