• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Gimp for beginners? Tut/guide to resizing, blending, colouring and text.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Make sure you have a layer mask added to whichever layer is taking up most space on the banner, in order to blend. Also make sure the layer mask is selected when you are using your brush. Layer mask should be white, and your brush should be black. Does that make sense?
lol I feel like a moron, I'm so sorry!

I don't know if I have black selected is that the black square at the bottom of the tool area? Do my settings look right? I have the layer mask... I think.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
That all looks good. You want to erase/blend from the top image, so that is the one that should have the layer mask. Add a layer mask to the amends looking pic and use the black brush on the layer mask on that image. Alternatively you can click and drag the long shot pic on the layers panel to the top, above the looking pic, and use the layer mask you already have. You have everything right :) Just that whichever image is on top will the one you blend from/erase.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
I am back on track and I didn't even need hard liquor! Thanks...!

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn

Finished product from your tutelage @GwenRaiden , thank you for your patience. I think it looks pretty good for my first attempt except I ended up with a white space on the left and Idk how to crop it out lol.

Spanky
Spanky
That looks better than pretty good for your first attempt ever.
Puppet
Puppet
Awesome, much better than my first attempt :)
Priceless
Priceless
For a first attempt, that is amazing!

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Awk! I am so proud!! It is gorgeous and seriously amazing for your first go! Don't worry about the white edge, it works!

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
For icons I use 100x100. For an avatar on the board I think the size can be up to 200x200 though.

@Mr. Pole I think you can save gimp files as PSD files, I've done that in the past before, and open them in PS as layers. Don't think it works vice versa though.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I know on PS there are ways to select parts of an image and crop it and place it on a different background. Is there a way to do this on GIMP? Maybe I’ll just buy PS... this is fun! :)

Thanks @Puppet - can I ask, how did you get the special effects on your avi? Was it on GIMP?

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Thanks @Puppet - can I ask, how did you get the special effects on your avi? Was it on GIMP?
I'm gonna guess that you mean my old banner with the animated snow? Alas, I cheated, and had @Mr. Pole do it for me, I'm guessing he used Photoshop.

Edit: wait, avi? What special effects?

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I'm gonna guess that you mean my old banner with the animated snow? Alas, I cheated, and had @Mr. Pole do it for me, I'm guessing he used Photoshop.

Edit: wait, avi? What special effects?
I mean your icon right now, the sparkly stuff on it. It looks like snow.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I mean your icon right now, the sparkly stuff on it.
Now that you've got Gimp, my advice is to download free Gimp Brushes. That's what I used on the photo, basically a brush of sparkly snowflakes that I add on top of the photo. Brushes makes a huge difference, in every fashion. I find and download mine on Deviant Art, but maybe Gwen has a better place, I don't know.

Priceless

Scooby
I was doing ok until Step 3

"With the second Charisma image highlighted in the Layers Panel (the one that is covering most of the banner), I'm going to right-click and select Add Layer Mask, like so. Just go ahead and select White and click Add"

I got my brushes sorted and started masking, but it was masking the big picture, not the little picture. So if possible could you describe the 'Layers Panel' in more detail because I've obviously picked the wrong layer, though I'm not sure how I managed to pick any layer :D

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
It's possible you've added the layer mask to the wrong layer? The layers panel is just the panel on the right that says Layers - Gradients. Try selecting the other Cordy layer and add layer mask to that, and try masking from there.

Let me know if that works?

Priceless

Scooby
It's possible you've added the layer mask to the wrong layer? The layers panel is just the panel on the right that says Layers - Gradients. Try selecting the other Cordy layer and add layer mask to that, and try masking from there.

Let me know if that works?
That's where I'm going wrong, because my panel on the right is titled Paths - Brushes / Layers - Brushes. Do you know where I can find the Layers - Gradients Panel? No worries if it's not possible

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Does it look like this? Sorry, me saying Layer - Gradients is just my default settings, to get back to Layers click on Layers at the top of the panel, instead of Paths, like this. With your top image selected, you add a layer mask to that, like this, to blend away the image. Does that make sense?

Basically, whichever image you want to erase from, should be the top layer, with layer mask. :)

Priceless

Scooby
Thank you so much :D It took me two hours but I've managed to make a banner! The blending is awful and I couldn't see any colours, but I'm still really proud of it lol.

GwenRaiden
GwenRaiden
Awesome! You should share it with us! The more you practice using different tools, the easier it will get, so don't worry too much. :)
Top Bottom