• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Gimp for beginners? Tut/guide to resizing, blending, colouring and text.

W

WillowFromBuffy

Can you do something about playing with colours to get that Warhol effect? Like Dcai uses in her av.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Can you do something about playing with colours to get that Warhol effect? Like Dcai uses in her av.
Yuh. I was going to do an icon tut in the near future with similar colouring methods. It is basically a case of selecting colours and painting on a transparent layer, then setting those layers on different blend modes. Your base being muted/pale also helps when colouring manually.

W
WillowFromBuffy
You're gonna have to do it in English. Like the first one :p

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Yuh. I was going to do an icon tut in the near future with similar colouring methods.
Was that the photoshop one you were talking about doing since forever ago? I already know how to do that. I think everybody knows how to do that.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn

I didn't really spend enough time on it, but it's a first attempt!

dcai0830: Good job. It’s fun right?
It is fun! Except every time I look at that banner, it looks worse. I can only imagine how terrible it will look to me tomorrow. ;) I'm excited to try another idea when I get time, though.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
Good job. It’s fun right?
Puppet
Puppet
Really amazing for a first go, Grace! Took me years to get blending this good :D
GwenRaiden
GwenRaiden
Looks awesome! Nice work!

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
One of the best tips I picked up from @GwenRaiden which I basically do every time with just about every layer is I duplicate the layer and set it to screen to lighten it up. I usually merge the layer down so as not to confuse myself later. Sometimes I do this 3 times to get it nice and bright. Especially subtle the SD and darker images. Some of the HD images like the ones that @Jam has as screen shots don’t need them as much but the other ones are really dark.

Grace
Grace
Thanks for the tip!

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
@GwenRaiden @Puppet or any other GIMPers can y’all share (sometime) the best way to do background removal on GIMP?

I do it just by tediously tracing with the selection tool and then deleting the inverse but wonder if there is a better way?

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
It’s very hard with Buffy’s hair . Angel’s too what with the spiky-ness.
Very true. It's why I'm so grateful to have finally figured out blending, makes everything so much easier when you don't have to remove any background, at least not the old, painful, way, lol.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Very true. It's why I'm so grateful to have finally figured out blending, makes everything so much easier when you don't have to remove any background, at least not the old, painful, way, lol.
Yeah but blending is an art form too. Sometimes depending on the photo it comes out with a glow despite what I do but I’ve learned to play with the opaque-ness of the blend brush.

And when I’m doubt just colorize!

Ok another question - you have an effect on your banners I’ve see which are diagonal lines with coloring. How do you achieve that effect.

A good example is the Anya and Spike one on page 7 of your art. It seems you colorize sections is that what it is? Or is it a filter?

Last edited:

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Ok another question - you have an effect on your banners I’ve see which are diagonal lines with coloring. How do you achieve that effect.
Let's see if I can remember this without having to open Gimp, lol.

I open a new layer - transparent - and set it to about 30%, then I pick the... yeah, give me a sec, gotta go open Gimp... the Blend Tool and just root around the colorful options, before picking one to layer over the existing banner. By having it at 30%, it leaves a very see-through effect over.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
Cool thanks! :$

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Yeah I can't really remember what I did to remove backgrounds in gimp! It's been so long. With Photoshop I use the Quick Selection Tool which basically does most of the work for you, then I use a brush on the mask layer to refine any details.

Spanky
Spanky
Are you a new member?!?
Top Bottom