1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Go Fish, Inca Mummy Girl, or Reptile Boy. Which one would you keep?

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by Mr Trick, May 1, 2016.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

No I agree with you and do think that's what the show does. I just don't think it works in the case of this episode. I would also be more on board with the Xander thing if it was not at odds with the dodgy gender politics in the rest of the episode.

2. caitaintdead

caitaintdead caiters gonna cait

Black Thorn
    I'm just going to finish off a few boring job search duties and then I'm going to rewatch and see what I think while bearing all this in mind :)

3. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Sadly, I will have to rewatch it at some point also;)

4. sharona1981

sharona1981 Lorne lover :)

I'd keep Inca Mummy Girl-it's not a perfect episode by any stretch of the imagination, but there are some fun moments. I think Xander and Ampata have some sweet moments (even if she is an ages old mummy who ultimately tries to kill him-poor Xander lucked out again!), and Willow's Eskimo costume is super adorable-and she catches Oz's attention for the first time! The other two though...nope. Didn't care for those eps, really.

sosa lola likes this.
  5. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

This is my rewatch of Go Fish review. I touched on the pressures of both sexes.

6. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    I think that Inca Mummy Girl was better for one reason :D Unlike the other two I remember most of the esp while not so with the other two so
    that why I think Inca Mummy Girl is the one to keep.

7. VisionGuy

VisionGuy Oh Plerr

Reptile Boy is amazing for all of it's character interaction. I love the Buffy and Cordelia dynamic so any scene where they play off each other is perfect.

The monster of the week on the other hand...

I would keep Reptile Boy.

8. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

I don't think I could choose two.

Most of what I like about all 3 have been mentioned, but I didn't see anyone mention Willow interrogating Jonathan in Go Fish...gods, I love that dialog, and later Willow saying something along the lines of, "The trick is not to leave any bruises." :D

Carrie Hopewell likes this.
  9. amberjane

amberjane Potential

Well hey, it worked for Angel this season ;)

i actually hate inca mummy girl. there isnt an episode i watch more as i have to rewatch the whole series at a time rather than individual episodes. but inca mummy girl i dont pay attention to as much. i like reptile boy because it helps build up the buffy/angel romance which helps add to the impact of angel losing his soul. go fish still has that angelus cameo, which another thread asked if there were too many of those, but i think it keeps the story on point without being the only consuming obstacle in buffy's life.

Carrie Hopewell and Fuffy Baith like this.
  10. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

And I guess with it being the last episode before the finale they had to stick him in somewhere. Can't remember what he does in it so can't remember if his part felt out of place or not. Bugger might have to rewatch it now:eek:

11. amberjane

amberjane Potential

he bit gage and spit out his blood, which is why they knew it was something in the swim team's system.

12. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Right. That does sound a bit pointless to me. Think this late in the season if they were going to involve him it should be something bigger than that.

13. Carrie Hopewell

Carrie Hopewell Little girl lost in the woods

Sineya
    Maybe the point is to show the audience that even as Angelus he can be a helpful Scooby! Sarcasm, that was sarcasm.

Fuffy Baith and GwenRaiden like this.
  14. BuffyBot22

BuffyBot22 Potential

I would throw away Inca Mummy Girl. It just doesn't do it for me. Nothing about it feels central to the overall plot of s2 or even the characters. You could easily introduce Oz in another episode and it would still work. I also just don't care for Xander centric episodes (Xander fans don't hate me lol).

I actually really liked Reptile Boy. It had some Bangel moments, which I am a sucker for. And even without Bangel, Cordy is pure gold in this episode. Her hilarious lines that have already been mentioned are enough for me to want to keep this episode. Gosh, now I want to go watch it.

I don't mind Go Fish. It just wasn't placed in the correct spot for the season. Really, like there should not be a filler episode right before the finale. Otherwise, I like the episode even if it does have it's problems.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  15. Mylie

Mylie Scooby

I would keep Reptile Boy which is an important episode for Buffy with her wanting to have a normal life outside of being the slayer, just going to a party and have some fun. It also has some lovely Buffy/Cordelia and I always have a soft spot for those episodes.

The one I'd throw away is Go Fish because that one was just bad and the timing of the episode makes it even worse. I'm not a fan of Inca Mummy Girl but it's also a nice parallel to Buffy's role as the slayer and I think it serves a purpose more than Go Fish.

Fuffy Baith and Mr Trick like this.
  16. MCatMC

MCatMC Townie

Sineya
    I think I would keep Reptile Boy over Inca Mummy Girl and Go Fish, because while I don't really like any of these episodes I think Reptile Boy was the best on the list

17. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

I'll admit that over time I am growing to like Reptile Boy more. Its still a bit naff:p But there's enough good things in it to be make more watchable and worthwhile than the other two episodes.

Mylie likes this.
  18. Slayrunt

Slayrunt Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?

Reptile boy and go fish always gave me weird feels while watching them, I think maybe anything with assault or derogatory comments or actions to women does that for me. But I always liked how this show atleast covered these issues.
    I don't have super strong feelings about inca mummy girl though.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  19. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

The episodes have different issues for me in that respect. Go Fish IMO trips over into being sexist at times (not on purpose I'm sure). Whereas I don't think Reptile Boy is sexist in anyway, its just that the flat boys and MOTW plots are just so dated and outside of the interaction between Cordy and Buffy, and the involvement of the other Scoobies is just dull.

20. The Ferg

The Ferg Mine is an evil laugh!

I LOVE Go Fish. I mean, yea, it's definitely not the best episode in the world, but it was the first episode I ever saw, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

It's hard to decide between the other two... On one hand, I don't consider Reptile Boy to be bad.. just mildly boring. On the other hand, Inca Mummy Girl is definitely a worse episode, but Empada's (sp?) story is legitimately moving and it was nice to see Xander fall in love (as well as push Willow to look elsewhere).

I choose Reptile Boy! Due to not really having an emotional connection with it.

Fuffy Baith: Yes, another Go Fish fan!