• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Joss Agrees

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Can we just remember that this is the Spuffy section of the board, so let's try to keep the posts about other ships to a minimum.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Can we just remember that this is the Spuffy section of the board, so let's try to keep the posts about other ships to a minimum.
LOL!! That's a good one there lampshade. As if there are any other ships. You had me going on that one for a minute.

Moggin

Tasty Townie
Let's face it, James Marsters dragged Joss Whedon kicking and screaming to accept Spike as something other than a two-dimensional villain, and James did so largely because he wanted to stay employed. Thank God he did, because who wants two dimensional characters when you can have multi-faceted and deeply complex characters?

I think, after a while, the fans and the actors made Joss a better writer. He may have had good ideas, but actually seeing people execute those ideas gave him inspiration to actually put flesh on those characters, and the fan response made him come to terms with that being a better course of action.

I like Joss's work, but he does strike me as someone deeply up his own ass most of the time. Many seasons and many years later, I think Joss is finally appreciating the better character construction in Spike and Spuffy, and possibly allowing some humility in that he was actually improved by real-life people. Writers should be improved by real-life people! It's been preached relentlessly in creative writing for ages! He just needed to let go a little. I think he's finally there, though, and though he may be trying to straddle two fandoms a bit, I think he knows the Spuffy arc is creatively the better ship.

Top Bottom