1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question Kendra

Discussion in 'Cast & Characters' started by WillowSummers88, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    Yes, at the time it was considered that. But now they are considered the more politically correct "developing" country. But, like @Ethan Reigns I never really thought it was Jamaican.

2. sosa lola

sosa lola Scooby

I wish Kendra was in more episodes so her death would have a bigger impact.

Priceless and Fuffy Baith like this.
  3. WillowSummers88

WillowSummers88 Townie

Who in their right mind would just give their daughter up to a guy you've never met before because "she has the potential become the slayer" ... So?

4. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

I just thought her parents didn't like her very much

DeadlyDuo: Lol
    Athene and DeadlyDuo like this.
  5. WillowSummers88

WillowSummers88 Townie

My understanding is she was very young. All the slayer is to the watcher council is a high powered rifle. They point her at their enemies and fire.

6. matt124

matt124 Potential

Me too. I loved the comic story Ring of Fire. Wished it was a real episode, so we get another episode with Kendra.

It didn't have an impact, because she only was introduced and left and her next visit she dies. She needed an episode more.

7. Professor Walsh

Professor Walsh Feminist slayerette

Black Thorn
    Well, it depends on what kind of standing the Watcher's Council had in the community where she was raised. It also depends a whole lot on the economic situation of the parents.

8. WillowSummers88

WillowSummers88 Townie

I wouldn't put it past the Council to just kill her parents and 'adopt' her.

9. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    I always wondered about that.....
    A crusty old English guy turns up on your doorstep.......I'd like to take your Daughter away with me....can't tell you why....oh & she might end up dead...is that Okay?

Yeah, like that is going to work........

10. LeaHeart

LeaHeart Townie

That's not a Jamaican accent. It was just an odd/bad "Caribbean-ish" accent.

Anyanka Bunny Killer likes this.
  11. Ayko

Ayko Ambassador

One of my favorite characters.

I always wondered though, why she would stowaway in cargo on the flight to California if she was sent by her Watcher. Is he that tight with Money?! And how is it that Giles never knew that another member of the Watcher's Council had a Slayer, and Kendra was not even aware she was not the only Slayer. Confusing.

According to the DVD commentary, the accent is a rare dialect from an obscure village in Jamaica that really exists and apparently is not far off from Kendra's. I cannot judge myself, no expert on Jamaican dialects, but that is what I heard and read.

WillowSummers88 likes this.
  12. WillowSummers88

WillowSummers88 Townie

I never even thought about that.

13. MarieVampSlayer

MarieVampSlayer I’m the thing that monsters have nightmares about!

Sineya
    I always thought she was in the cargo to be untraceable, so she could work in secrecy and not be discovered as the new slayer. Kind of a secret agent thing. Anyway, I liked Kendra and yeah I also feel she was killed off very easily just to prove a point : a slayer cannot rely only on technique. Instinct is what made Buffy and Faith better slayers in the end.

14. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

I haven't read any replies yet (and now hope that I haven't replied to this thread already as I have no memory of this thread at all), but thought I'd share something. I have a feeling you've read the novel version of Revenge of the Sith, but if not, here's a passage from it I think you'll like (read out loud by a guy who tries to get the voices right) where Palpatine explains to Annakin why the Jedi takes children so young:

I set it up so that it jumps right to the passage from the novel at 1:06. It's short, and then he talks about it.

(As I've said in another thread, I found the movie tedious, and yet I loved the novel.)
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    "Fun" fact: Kendra was buried next to Jesse. :p

Meliza likes this.
  15. Meliza

Meliza Potential

Aw, I like that tidbit, though it means she was very estranged from her home. Like the video says, it is about control. Its not surprising if the Watcher's Council took her in as a five year old and all she had was pictures. Jamaica is a Christian country so with demons and vampires running around the community most have been very fearful

Duh but so much so to be more susceptible to giving up their child to this Commonwealth coalition of men with a air of authority about them, who seem to know what is going on and indulge in speaking of it in terms of Christian theology to suit their audience.

MarieVampSlayer likes this.
  16. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

All good questions non of which I ever would have thought of:p I'm assuming hiding in the cargo was just part of undercover thing, plus it makes for better television;) Kendra not knowing about Buffy I buy more than Giles not knowing about Kendra. Then again it is often suggested that Giles is kinda cut off from the Watcher's Council and only has the information that he needs for Buffy, so it does make some sense that he wouldn't know about Kendra. Chances are the Council member in question would probably want to keep such a thing under wraps.

17. Meliza

Meliza Potential

We can take the origin comic stories into account and say Giles was the son of a hard nose Watcher who didn't think he was cut out for it (What do the ones without slayers do? I reckon they study the supernatural going ons, history, demonology, wiccas, never know when ** is gonna hit the fan, kind of like W&H 'good guys')
    although the Council obviously saw something in Giles so they assigned him Buffy, still he had a reputation for thinking outside the box. Kendra had literally never happened before, they could not for see the consequences, implications, definitely would keep it a secret among themselves.

Ayko likes this.
  18. PaulParmar1

PaulParmar1 Team Spuffy

Sineya
    I don't really like Kendra.
    She was funny at times but she didn't have much of a personality and her fake Jamaican was the worst.

19. Ayko

Ayko Ambassador

Although the incognito idea is plausible and fitting, I disagree with the idea Faith was a better Slayer than Kendra who, despite her forthcomings, also had strengths and talents that boldy exceeded even Buffy. The history and Talent for educational learning directly associated with a greater Team of 'slaying' that is to say, she was on the level of Giles with her knack to absorb the theory and (secret and ancient) the historical facts that was just amazing and also showed, in her brief life in the Buffyverse, heart, honesty, and loyalty on the level of Buffy, unlike Faith. In my opinion, Faith (whom I adore as a Buffyverse character and couldn't imagine without anymore) should have never replaced Kendra because it gives the Slayer legend a weakness that need not have been, especially when later in season seven with 'Potential Slayers about bloom' suddenly all over the world is added to the equation. That is my opinion and I enjoyed that chat with a 50/50 endscore ;)

MarieVampSlayer and Meliza like this.
  20. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

All good points, except Kendra was killed. When someone is killed you replace them. I don't really see how it weakens the Slayer Legend. Personally I don't mind Kendra, but never saw her as a long term character.

MarieVampSlayer likes this.