• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

LGBTQ acceptance dropping among Millennials

katmobile

Scooby
By the way, I'm genuinely curious, I'd like to understand better. It's a very important topic IMO, I believe that everybody deserves to be treated with respect.
I'd recommend Contrapoints You Tube channel some of her videos are quite arty but they are well thought out and an insider's perspective. Also Philosophy Tube and others have done videos on transgenderism and Council of Geeks IDs as gender fluid.

katmobile

Scooby
There are lesbians that like being called dude. And the term guys is so common since the term ladies is so old fashion. When someone calls me a lady, I am thinking, I am not in a skirt right now.
There just isn't a good casual word for a mixed group or group of women or even a singular female that isn't either insulting or excessively formal. I experimented with dudette but it sounds like smurfette and a bit silly. Dudess doesn't sound right either - whereas males have guys, dude or in the UK bloke.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I don't think it's been mentioned here, so I will. I respond more to tone than actual label. "Dyke" can be a playful/friendly, neutral, or fighting word depending on the tone and how it's used, for example. But then again, so can the word "you."

This might be why I personally haven't run into the militants in real life, though have encountered them online where tone is absent (and, I've noticed, often assumed to be the worst possible tone regardless of the circumstances--hell, I've given sincere compliments online only to be yelled at for "sarcasm").

(That said, there are a very few words that some people try to "reclaim" and failed at so that it's virtually always negative, even when people claiming it's not who use it on themselves. I know I've changed my mind on one word being okay in certain circumstances, but years of observation make me frown on it no matter who uses it and to whom and in what context because of its baggage and effects no matter how well meaning one might try to make it.)

Top Bottom