• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Lorne's silent anguish.

Gum Gnome33

"Well, yeah..."
Sineya
I think your theory is right on, OM. Why mention at all that he'd heard Lindsey sing if the point was anything other than the fact that he knew what he was destined to do?

Another (slightly less morose) possibility is that, when Lorne had heard Lindsey sing, he knew that Lindsey would be killed--possibly even that he would be shot by someone who claimed to want to work with him--but that he didn't realize it'd be him until that moment when he was standing in the room with him. Which is why when he says it, he speaks it softly, as if he's just put two and two together, himself. With this interpretation, we don't have to assume that Lorne had been feeling anguish about this for years.
But really, I could see it either way.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
In the episode Underneath Lorne puts his drinking problem down to finding out that the girl he loves was going to die (I'm assuming that's Fred). So if he knew that Fred was going to die then he couldnt not have known that Lindsey was going to die as well. He'd heard both of them sing.

As to whether he knew he'd be the one to kill him. I dont know, its possible because sometimes his visions/predictions come across as quite detailed.

Old Master 3.0

Watchers Council
Watcher
Black Thorn
Lorne's Silent Anguish. This thread will not go away...so you can all just forget that little notion and POST. ;) :p :p

HisMrs

The Walking BED
Sineya
LMAO... I posted!!! :p I love your theory. I really do. I think it's very possible that Lorne knew he was destined to kill Lindsey.

MattyMatt

Townie
Also in the episode where Lorne has his sleep take away to pretty much get all of his work done, I think I remember that right it's been awhile, anyway he's doing that to pretty much be useful for the team still, in his own way. By him killing Lindsey is his last way of being useful. I wish I knew more about his powers to fully understand his actions tho. Also I haven't read all the comic books after the fall. Guess I'll do that after I finish bringing up this 20 year old thread lol.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
In "Not Fade Away", right before Lorne shoots Lindsey, he says "I've heard you sing." Could that have had a deeper meaning?

Lindsey used to sing at Caritas....singing since LONG before he lost his hand.

Also in a late Season five eppie, Lorne is sitting in a bar talking about how sick he is of telling people what they want to hear instead of the truth, and also about his drinking problem.

The thing I am asking is....has Lorne always known that Lindsay would die by his hand?

It certainly would explain his drinking problem. Lorne is such a hater of violence, and the idea of him as a cold-blooded murderer could well have driven him to the bottle.

It could also explain his increasing withdrawal from the gang. Over the course of the season, Lorne disappears for long periods with strange excuses. Now, a lot of people simply have attributed that to the writers finding it difficult to give Lorne a more expanded role for the season....but it could also be that since Lindsey's reappearance, Lorne had known that the time to kill him was rapidly approaching.

Did Lorne know, right back from his first appearance on ANGEL, that he was going to be Lindsey's killer?

I'll make sure to keep that in mind during my re-watch of S5...and come back to comment some more!

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
This is all reminiscent of "The Dead Zone", a Steven King movie from 1983 about a teacher who was in a coma for five years and emerges with clairvoyance into the future of anyone he touches. He foresees a presidential candidate who will start a nuclear war and proceeds to hunt him down. Replace "anyone he touches" with "anyone he hears singing" and you have the same story.

I think Lorne either:

1. saw that for no particular reason, he was going to kill Lindsey or

2. Lindsey was going to continue to promote the cause of evil

The former is more likely since he would assume someone else like Angel was going to take care of all the other parties to evil (because he had heard Angel sing as well). Lorne still has to be told to proceed with the killing by Angel and he is reluctant to go along with it and wants no contact with Angel or the others after he is done, tipping the scale towards the first option.

GraceK
GraceK
The book is better.
Top Bottom