• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

No love for Lorne?

Marisa

Liver Alone
I still don't know about Lorne in my mind he is just Lorne and doesn't discriminate so is he gay or straight doesn't matter to me would still love him. At times it was hinted when he would kind of hit on Angel but then he had his girlie's in Las Vegas so I guess it is interpretation. That being said I am sad that he didn't get a love interest because he comes off as very caring and to see him this way would have been nice. But on the other hand he stands out in my eyes at times because his storyline didn't revolve around a love interest. So in the long run I am okay because we got Lorne and just Lorne ;)

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
So well communicated,i agree

dan k

Bangel Is Eternal
I think Lorne was better on his own, it coincided with his persona. I wouldn't have wanted him to be involved in a relationship, it just wasn't his style and i don't think it would have benefited the show.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
First: there is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay. Now,

Side note: sometimes I wonder if some people's ships are based on anything in fact at all. People are saying Lorne and Groo would make a good couple, and I'm thinking "when has Groo shown even the slightest, tiniest interest in other men?" And the answer is: never. Groo is definitely not gay. The Lorne and Groo ship isn't based on any evidence from the show. I guess maybe people are only being fanciful and not really serious when they suggest it. And I guess that's fine...that doesn't bother me at all actually; I only mention it because I've noticed that BtVS/AtS fan ships are sometimes really fanciful and hard to actually take seriously, because the evidence doesn't suggest it. Sometimes fan ships seem like purely wishful thinking. That's all I wanted to say about it. Anyway, back on point...

As for Lorne? I never gave it much thought before, but the asexual theory kind of works for me. That seems to fit best, because love interest is such a wholesale non-issue for Lorne the whole time on the show. He never complains about the lack of companionship even once, and he never comes out and explicitly expresses that kind of feeling for someone else once either. So asexual seems to work best. Even though on the surface he might come off a little gay in some respects. Lorne's sexuality is interesting to me though...the ambiguity is an interesting feature of his (and I think it is deliberate).

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
[No message]

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
First: there is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay. Now,

Side note: sometimes I wonder if some people's ships are based on anything in fact at all. People are saying Lorne and Groo would make a good couple, and I'm thinking "when has Groo shown even the slightest, tiniest interest in other men?" And the answer is: never. Groo is definitely not gay. The Lorne and Groo ship isn't based on any evidence from the show. I guess maybe people are only being fanciful and not really serious when they suggest it. And I guess that's fine...that doesn't bother me at all actually; I only mention it because I've noticed that BtVS/AtS fan ships are sometimes really fanciful and hard to actually take seriously, because the evidence doesn't suggest it. Sometimes fan ships seem like purely wishful thinking. That's all I wanted to say about it. Anyway, back on point...

As for Lorne? I never gave it much thought before, but the asexual theory kind of works for me. That seems to fit best, because love interest is such a wholesale non-issue for Lorne the whole time on the show. He never complains about the lack of companionship even once, and he never comes out and explicitly expresses that kind of feeling for someone else once either. So asexual seems to work best. Even though on the surface he might come off a little gay in some respects. Lorne's sexuality is interesting to me though...the ambiguity is an interesting feature of his (and I think it is deliberate).
Very much agree here.
I think the whole 'Lorne is gay' is because he was a sensitive, empathic guy with a certain flamboyance to him.
I know he complimented Angel on his appearance a few times, called him good looking, but then so did Doyle a couple of times, and Wes, come to think of it.

Lorne also found Cordelai attractive (and says as much in 'Waiting In The Wings') and he thinks Fred is adorable and cute, yet he isn't shipped with them.

Personally I don't think every character has to be shipped in a relationship. I mean, Giles rarely is after Jenny Calendar. Lorne is more of a relationship adviser than anything else.
Having said all that it might've been nice to give him some kind of love interest in S5, just so he got more screen time/character stuff to do.
Doesn't matter if it was a guy or a girl, it would've been something for him to cling to after the end of the show.

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
you read my mind again :D :)

white avenger

white avenger
Assuming that Lorne actually was supposed to be gay, and that was always something of an unanswered question to me, TV at that time was much less tolerant of male/male relationships that they were female/female ones, hence no on screen love life for characters like Lorne and Andrew (unless that one scene with Jonathan and Andrew in bed together was supposed to hint at something)

Another possibility worth considering, given Lorne's origins, is that he is sexually totally incomparable with beings in this dimension regardless of gender.

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
Anya2012 agrees: It's implied he's gay...when?
Just saw this. Sorry for the super-late response!

How is it implied Lorne is gay? Ooh, man in so many ways. Really, Lorne is a stereotype of a gay man. He is how our culture overall expects gay men to be.

-He represents camp culture, which is historically linked with gay culture
-He is always flirting with men in the show - Spike, Angel - calling them little pet names, etc.
-He also seems to connect better with women, and has more women friends, which is just another stereotype about gay men.
-He is empathetic
-He's flamboyant, fashion-conscious, loves to sing, is effeminate...the list goes on.

Does anything think he wasn't intended to be gay?

Last edited:
VisionGirl
VisionGirl
[No message]
Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
apparently yes

Kana

Soulless human
He's certainly camp, but he flirts shamelessly with human(oid) men and women. He openly said he if he had a chance with Cordelia, he'd be elbowing Angel out of the way and let us not forget the time when he got his head cut off in Pylea and stopped playing dead just so he could catch a glimpse of the female slave undressing. If memory served he also said that while other males in his clan were hunting, he was 'chatting up the senoritas'.

I never needed Lorne to have a love interest especially as he's a species from a difference dimension. We cannot impose this dimensions conventions (which are varied anyway) onto him. As WA said, he may be sexually incomparable with beings from this dimension.

Lyri
Lyri
[No message]
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
VisionGirl
VisionGirl
[No message]

Wesley Pryce

Angel Investigations
Black Thorn
Lorne is great,and one of my favorite character in the verse. Whether he is with someone romantically or is alone doesn't matter too much for my taste,he is Lorne. :) I would have liked to see him have some kind of arc in season 5,so a ship could work,but I'm not married to it either. Lorne is not camp in my opinion. I understand not all gay guys are so colorful or feminine,but there are guys who are so. It isn't a total stereotype,they truly exist. As far as Lorne being campy,id say no more than a number of other Buffyverse characters,both shows have their far fetched,yet fun colorful characters. That's why we love them,isn't it? :p :) anyways,i love and i miss Andy Hallett, and adore Lorne.

sharona1981

Lorne lover :)
Sorry folks, just wanted to add to this-I have to be honest, I never saw Lorne as gay. He was just... Lorne. Male, female, demon, human, vampire, he flirted with 'em all. The fact that he was never with anyone special did make me a little sad, but Andy Hallett himself once said that he never wanted to be in a long-term relationship, and so didn't really want it for Lorne, either (I so can't remember the link now, but I know it was an interview, I'll try to seek it out).

More importantly, Lorne's ideas of gender would be very different from ours. His own mother was masculine, so it would appear that Pyleans' gender identities would differ greatly. Overall, I think Lorne, if he was going to be attracted to anyone, would be attracted to the person, regardless of gender or even species.

Chartreuse

Townie
I think he might have had strange anatomy...his heart was in his butt etc. It would have been really cool if one of those Vegas dancer actually turned out to be a compatible creature from his home dimension. They could have sang some beautiful campy duets!

Mr Trick

Scooby
No wouldn't say he was avently gay. Actually think giving him a romantic interest could have added to the character.

Spanish Flame

It's Not Easy Being Green
Assuming that Lorne actually was supposed to be gay, and that was always something of an unanswered question to me, TV at that time was much less tolerant of male/male relationships that they were female/female ones, hence no on screen love life for characters like Lorne and Andrew (unless that one scene with Jonathan and Andrew in bed together was supposed to hint at something)

Another possibility worth considering, given Lorne's origins, is that he is sexually totally incomparable with beings in this dimension regardless of gender.
I think that's the whole point of all this. He is a demon from another dimension so do you really know how they see relationships....

No wouldn't say he was avently gay. Actually think giving him a romantic interest could have added to the character.
Of course, it would have been good to see some of that on season 5, but as mentioned before on toher thread, Lorne's character didn't evolve as the others....

Ps Sorry for bringing up this again after a little long.... :oops:

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
It bugs me when the writers think that Angel needed a love interest which goes against why he left Sunnydale and his curse, but didn't think of giving Lorne someone to love.

Top Bottom